Cardio...mile time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio...mile time.

Ok, so I used to weigh 464 pounds, horribly fat! After 4 years I've dropped 140lbs and still going. I don't run often at all right now. My mile time is roughly 14 minutes. I don't run regularly, not for time at least. Has anyone dropped a considerable amount of weight and increased their mile time quite a bit? I know if I just start running more I'll get more comfortable at running, but there are times where I feel like I'm gonna fucking die, ha. I need to push past that and prove I'm not actually going to die I guess.
    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Originally posted by mark! View Post
    Ok, so I used to weigh 464 pounds, horribly fat! After 4 years I've dropped 140lbs and still going. I don't run often at all right now. My mile time is roughly 14 minutes. I don't run regularly, not for time at least. Has anyone dropped a considerable amount of weight and increased their mile time quite a bit? I know if I just start running more I'll get more comfortable at running, but there are times where I feel like I'm gonna fucking die, ha. I need to push past that and prove I'm not actually going to die I guess.
    I've gone from 350 to right around 200 lbs. I used the elliptical for mostly all my cardio because my knees couldn't take the pounding of my body weight. It was easier for me to recover and keep within my target heart rate using that machine. After all this I can now run an easy 8 minute mile. I know this because I changed up the elliptical for a week and ran outside, I wasn't too concerned with how fast I could run a mile in but if I really pushed I could do around a seven minute mile and all of this without running. While it's nothing to write home about I remember not being able to run a mile in under 15 minutes in high school. It gets easier when weight falls off for sure. Plus feeling like you're going to die from cardio is fun and means its working, right?? If you can't tell I fucking hate cardio, it's just something I have to do! Good luck and keep up the hard work!

Comment

Thanks bro. I should use the elliptical for cardio I Just don't feel like I'm getting as much done on it versus the treadmill.

Sent from my Samsung captivate using tapatalk
      …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Hey Mark! I used to be pretty overweight and out of shape back in high school and had a piss poor mile time. As I lost weight it definitely got easier but I started off by varying my cardio. Before I moved to running predominantly as my form of cardio (which I did for athletic reasons) I worked my way into it by doing work on the elliptical and bike. Even within the same cardio session, maybe split up the work between running and machines and work you way into a complete running routine. I found this way it was easier on my knees and feet getting used to pounding the pavement.

All the best man! Keep up the hard work!

Kris
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/c...er5k_table.jpg

might have a look at this
          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
          -John Ceasar

Comment

Thanks bro. I should use the elliptical for cardio I Just don't feel like I'm getting as much done on it versus the treadmill.

Sent from my Samsung captivate using tapatalk
            Yeah, I know what you mean, it just seems easier for some reason. But if you have a heart rate monitor or something to measure your output in the end it equals to be the same, or should be. Brings up a good question though, does anyone have any science or proof that shows which is more beneficial for fat loss, the elliptical vs running? My guess is whichever one you will do more consistently and doesn't interrupt recovery.

Comment

There is an elliptical type machine that I use, it has a function where you can elevate your incline angle between 0-20 deg. Not sure the name of it, but it has static bars, but based on the same principles as the elliptical. I like it better than the reg ellip, and it gives a good workout, even on the base 10deg incline.

Running is gonna be killer on your knees until you drop more weight. If your 320ish (based on your post) I would wait. I am 270ish and I find it hard on my knees. 250ish and its better.
              Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
              BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Being in the Military, I have to take a yearly PT test which involves a 2 mile run. I've noticed that the time I've taken it and have been prepping for a show (thus Bw was low) I can run much faster than say when I'm a fat boy!! If that helps any?
                "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                  Being in the Military, I have to take a yearly PT test which involves a 2 mile run. I've noticed that the time I've taken it and have been prepping for a show (thus Bw was low) I can run much faster than say when I'm a fat boy!! If that helps any?
                  It definitely does. I figured that as I lost weight, running would become easier, just makes sense. I was just second guessing it and worried about sucking at running. IF I do end up just sucking at running, I'm sure I'll be able to get better at it like everything else. Just takes time.

Comment

It definitely does. I figured that as I lost weight, running would become easier, just makes sense. I was just second guessing it and worried about sucking at running. IF I do end up just sucking at running, I'm sure I'll be able to get better at it like everything else. Just takes time.
                    dont worry about sucking at running, its just a means to an end.....unless you ditch strength training for marathons...
                    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                    -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                      dont worry about sucking at running, its just a means to an end.....unless you ditch strength training for marathons...
                      Haha, the only interest I have in anything that involves running is a Tough Mudder.

Comment

Haha, the only interest I have in anything that involves running is a Tough Mudder.
                        have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErZ5GjOyas
                        -John Ceasar

Comment

Working...
                        X