Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake

Just witnessed my first earthquake. Apparently it was centered near Richmond, Va. I live about 180 miles away in southwest, PA. That was crazy.

Too bad DC didn't just float out to sea......

USGS (United States Geological Survey) said it was a 5.9 on the Richter scale. Not THAT big, but just big enough to be a huge pain in the ass for buildings that weren't built to withstand it.

"The earthquake was centered in Mineral, Virginia, which is 92 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake was initially reported at 5.8 magnitude. The quake had a very shallow depth of 0.6 miles."
    Last edited by Sammich; 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
      USGS (United States Geological Survey) said it was a 5.9 on the Richter scale. Not THAT big, but just big enough to be a huge pain in the ass for buildings that weren't built to withstand it.

"The earthquake was centered in Mineral, Virginia, which is 92 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake was initially reported at 5.8 magnitude. The quake had a very shallow depth of 0.6 miles."
      Yeah, most modern buildings, major ones anyway, are required to withstand a nominal amount of seismic activity. It's a low risk region, but there's still some minimal requirements. However, I doubt this applies to the older buildings. I'd say I'd stay away from the Washington monument for a few days....

Comment

Felt it up here in Bucks County, PA. I am on the 4th floor of my office building and we literally shook back and forth 4-6 inches for a solid 5 seconds. We all jetted outta there ASAP lol.

Comment

Felt it here in Hillsborough, NC... Our three story building shook for about 5 seconds.

Comment

Shook us pretty good here in Syracuse. At 1st I thought some fat woman was walking by my desk.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

My sister moved to DC a few weeks ago. I posted links on her facebook page of multiple recent murder articles in her rough vicinity to try and get her to move home. If that didn't work, maybe the earthquake did!
              2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Watched whitecaps in the pool and my outdoor cats disappeared about 5 minutes before and came back 5 minutes after, cowards. Other than that nothing big. Southern Marylands used to shocks, look at what comes out of the Walmart here...

Comment

Originally posted by O.G. Pimpin View Post
                  Felt it here in Hillsborough, NC... Our three story building shook for about 5 seconds.
                  Dude I didn't feel anything in Durham, but people all around me did. My townhouse is half in the ground too!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
                  Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                    Shook us pretty good here in Syracuse. At 1st I thought some fat woman was walking by my desk.
                    Lol... The first time I ever saw one hit close to an area where I used to live, I thought it was a truck with suspension problems passing by.

Comment

I work at Ft. Meade, right between DC and Baltimore, and my building was shaking pretty good and I am on the 8th floor. Crazy shit fellas...2012 anyone? lol
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                        I work at Ft. Meade, right between DC and Baltimore, and my building was shaking pretty good and I am on the 8th floor. Crazy shit fellas...2012 anyone? lol
                        LOL. The earth is just stretching itself for the end!!! :runaway:

Comment

People said they could feel it here in New Haven, CT...but I couldn't

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post

Too bad DC didn't just float out to sea......
                            totally agree with you on that, im so fed up with all of them, republikans and demokrats alike.

some people were talking about feeling a rumbling or explosion in southern wv today but i felt nothing.
                            the rumor around here is "fracking", thoughts on that?
                            Last edited by lhart6272; 08-23-2011, 09:45 PM.
                            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                            -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by johnnieo View Post
                              LOL. The earth is just stretching itself for the end!!! :runaway:
                              Yeah, it must've gotten pissed off after failing on a widowmaker :angry:
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X