Life Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Goals

In my professional life, I have been putting much more emphasis on my heads up, serving leadership; attempting to grasp the vision and direction of the team, identify goals, obstacles to those goals, and individual team member strengths to get us to those goals in the most effective way. The more I am doing this the more I am recognizing the benefit of this clearly planned type of approach to success.

In my personal life, I have always been of the mentality that life was meant to be lived and not planned; rolling with the punches was the best way to handle everyday life. I didn't see myself as needing anything other than what I already had and didn't want to get caught up in constantly chasing something, so I didn't really have any goals I was striving towards. I still think there is something to be said for having this type of attitude, as it greatly increases one's ability to effectively handle stress, however my emphasis on it has decreased. I am starting to experience a bit of a paradigm shift (yes, I'm sure it's called maturity, and all you old bastards have gone through this change in thinking before, I just have never seen anyone discuss it.)

While I still don't believe anything outside of my current life will bring me any more "true happiness" than I already have, I do think there are certain comforts and experiences that I would consider enjoyable and would like to make a part of my life at some point. I am starting to think it is important to have a healthy balance (no shit right?) between having clearly defined goals with a path to achieve those goals and being able to handle the everyday stressors and roadblocks to those goals with ease and confidence.

Another aspect behind me improving my leadership skills that I am working on is that I have been trying to become a better "serving leader". I am more seriously looking at how I can improve my employee's skills and lives, not just how can I improve their performance. I would like to be a catalyst for major positive change in their lives in any way that I can be. Why do I bring this up? I think that IM is a close-knit community full of people who truly want to help/serve others. I think a majority of people here have huge hearts and would do whatever they could to help someone else out; not for recognition or praise, but just because they can and because they want to.

What an incredible thing it would be if a few people's life goals were realized simply because someone on here, someone the poster didn't even know, was able to offer a helping hand or connect them to someone else who could!

That being said, I think this could be an interesting two-part discussion.

First- As you have matured, how have your goals changed? What, if any, type of shift in the motivation behind your goals and objectives have you noticed?

Second- What are your current goals in life? 1 month, 1 year, 10 year?

Since I discussed number 1 above, I will just list my current goals.
    1 month- Gain another 5lbs, transition out of the group home one more night every week so I can see more of my wife

1 year- Do as much as possible to make the first year of my child's life (wife is preggers again, little me coming in Jan!) as stress-free for my wife as possible, be comfortably and fully transitioned out of the group home and into my new position as Director of Operations, have found a way to supplement my income enough to give my wife the option to stay home with the kid, further her education, or continue working, hit a non-obese 250 and hold it for a few months

10 years- have kids that don't hate me, a lifestyle where my wife can get the things she wants without much stress (at least realistic wants, haha), be able to take the family on an exciting yearly vacation, help coach the local football team, have my finances in order so I am on an auto-piloted course towards comfortable retirement, have won a local natty show, have found some way to make a meaningful impact on the lives of people in my community
    2010 NPC North Star

Very nice thread.Love reading here!

1.I'll be 23 in October.The last 5 years my goals have changed alot to be honest.When i was younger i tend to set only short term goals ,more orientated around me.Now as i do have short term goals i tend to have more long term ones ,more about things that lasts ,about my family ,friends and about improving myself as a person.

1 month - purge myself from every negative emotion/thoughts , start my new job ,start my second bachelor in mass communication and hopefully gain 2-3 pounds.

1.Year - fall in love , spend more time with my friends and family ,get my physique to a new level for the next summer.

10 Years - Become good person, someone who motivated others and serve as an example ,have great relationship/get married, be able to earn enough to travel around the world with my family.Be 220 under 5% with 20" guns haha ..just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
      First- As you have matured, how have your goals changed? What, if any, type of shift in the motivation behind your goals and objectives have you noticed?

Wow, a very loaded but honest question;well the first part of my life, you'll understand in a minute was to become financially stable, educated,and of course rich beyond my dreams. Now that I've had my son, thus the second part of my life, everything I do is to make sure he has not one worry in the world. Of course I still want to be happy emotionally, physically healthy, but everything I do has his best interest in mind. For instance, I just picked up a second job so I dodn't have to stop saving for his college fund because of the divorce, I'll be working 7 days a week. Although the second job temporary it's necessaary. As I matured I came to realize what was obtainable and realistic for me. I went back and gto my Electrical Engineering degree after being a police officer for so long.

1 Month - Start my second job and continue to buid my life back up, get the ground back under my feet, become a better person & father.

1 Year - Obtain my Engineering license, break some powerlifting records, continue to build my base(life) wider and become a better person & father.

10 years - Have my Professional Engineering license, my master's in EE, a family, complete financial stability, be a better person and father than I was 9 years ago, and of course be happy.
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorizon View Post
        Very nice thread.Love reading here!

1.I'll be 23 in October.The last 5 years my goals have changed alot to be honest.When i was younger i tend to set only short term goals ,more orientated around me.Now as i do have short term goals i tend to have more long term ones ,more about things that lasts ,about my family ,friends and about improving myself as a person.

1 month - purge myself from every negative emotion/thoughts... care to elaborate on this? , start my new jo....b doing??? ,start my second bachelor in mass communication and hopefully gain 2-3 pounds.

1.Year - fall in love , spend more time with my friends and family ,get my physique to a new level for the next summer.

10 Years - Become good person, someone who motivated others and serve as an example ,have great relationship/get married, be able to earn enough to travel around the world with my family.Be 220 under 5% with 20" guns haha ..just kidding
        Very cool goals DH! What would qualify you as having become a better person? Just curious as to what some tangible goals in that department might be.
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
          Wow, a very loaded but honest question;well the first part of my life, you'll understand in a minute was to become financially stable, educated,and of course rich beyond my dreams. Now that I've had my son, thus the second part of my life, everything I do is to make sure he has not one worry in the world. Of course I still want to be happy emotionally, physically healthy, but everything I do has his best interest in mind.....I am extremely excited to carry that responsibility and to feel that level of unconditional devotion to something For instance, I just picked up a second job so I dodn't have to stop saving for his college fund because of the divorce, I'll be working 7 days a week. Although the second job temporary it's necessaary. As I matured I came to realize what was obtainable and realistic for me. I went back and gto my Electrical Engineering degree after being a police officer for so long.

1 Month - Start my second job and continue to buid my life back up, get the ground back under my feet, become a better person & father.

1 Year - Obtain my Engineering license, break some powerlifting records FUCK YEAH!!!, continue to build my base(life) wider and become a better person & father.

10 years - Have my Professional Engineering license, my master's in EE, a family, complete financial stability, be a better person and father than I was 9 years ago.....care to elaborate?, and of course be happy.
          You, along with DH, seem to have becoming a better person as a pretty high priority. I am also curious what things you don't think you do well, or what some tangible proof you have improved might be?

I realize that is extremely personal and understand if you don't care to share.
          2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Great question for discussion and opportunity for all of us to take some time to reflect on our own lives.

I'm 24, so one of the younger guys on here, but much like DH said, throughout my teens and early 20's my goals were much more short term. I focused on what I was doing from semester to semester and trying to set myself up for a successful career path. I feel that when I younger I thought a lot about myself in isolation from my environment and failed to examine the bigger picture as to where I could fit in on a larger scale. For example, working with non-profits to improve the education of less fortunate children. I have always been very intrinsically motivated and strive to improve myself to be a better person but now I try to use the lessons I learn in striving to achieve specific goals in other areas of my life to develop myself as a better overall person.

I have become much more accepting of my faults and rather than contend them, I acknowledge they exist and seek to improve upon them. I find that I take more time now to reflect on my life and goals and feel that knowing where I stand helps me stay centered.

1 Month: Spend more time with friends and family, add 4-5 pounds and buy a new car.

1 Year: Hopefully find a great woman to settle down with and be in along term relationship, have completed or nearing completion of my masters with nothing less than my current GPA of 3.91 and be get up to 180 lbs and preparing to get back on stage after 5 year year hiatus. Personally, I would like to become a better listener and be more outgoing.

10 years: Start a family and buy a larger house while renting out my current house as an investment property. Be in a senior leadership position and be a successful competitor on the bodybuilding scene. I would also like to own my own business some day, preferably something fitness related, but I am only going to pursue that when the right opportunity presents itself, such as a gym seeking new ownership.
            Last edited by mentalflex; 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM. Reason: sentence structure
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

1 Month - autopilot

1 Year - strengthen the team of our company, spend more time with my daughter, replicate my skill levels in the people that I work with and I trust

10 Year - become better at execution, like lightning-fast ninja-skillz when it comes to choose good business decisions and decisions in general, with complete lack of emotion and full focus on the outcome and future goals. I don't know if this is to lack of knowledge or perfecting it as a skill. Time will tell but I tend to think it's skill based.

Hmm I think this is a rather idealist way of looking at things as I didn't put any material assets into the equation. Interesting.

funmetal

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Great question for discussion and opportunity for all of us to take some time to reflect on our own lives.

I'm 24, so one of the younger guys on here, but much like DH said, throughout my teens and early 20's my goals were much more short term. I focused on what I was doing from semester to semester and trying to set myself up for a successful career path. I feel that when I younger I thought a lot about myself in isolation from my environment and failed to examine the bigger picture as to where I could fit in on a larger scale. For example, working with non-profits to improve the education of less fortunate children. I have always been very intrinsically motivated and strive to improve myself to be a better person but now I try to use the lessons I learn in striving to achieve specific goals in other areas of my life to develop myself as a better overall person.

I have become much more accepting of my faults and rather than contend them, I acknowledge they exist and seek to improve upon them. I find that I take more time now to reflect on my life and goals and feel that knowing where I stand helps me stay centered.

1 Month: Spend more time with friends and family, add 4-5 pounds and buy a new car.

1 Year: Hopefully find a great woman to settle down with and be in along term relationship, have completed or nearing completion of my masters with nothing less than my current GPA of 3.91 and be get up to 180 lbs and preparing to get back on stage after 5 year year hiatus. Personally, I would like to become a better listener and be more outgoing.

10 years: Start a family and buy a larger house while renting out my current house as an investment property. Be in a senior leadership position and be a successful competitor on the bodybuilding scene. I would also like to own my own business some day, preferably something fitness related, but I am only going to pursue that when the right opportunity presents itself, such as a gym seeking new ownership.
                Very cool mentalflex! If you are aspiring to own your own business with employees, or be in a senior leadership position someday, I would highly recommend the book "The Secret- What Great Leaders Know and Do" by Ken Blanchard. It is phenomenal at putting into words how to serve those you are supervising and how to draw out their motivation and investment in what you are trying to accomplish.
                2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by funmetal View Post
                  1 Month - autopilot ...what?

1 Year - strengthen the team of our company , spend more time with my daughter, replicate my skill levels in the people that I work with and I trust...I would recommend you read the same book I suggested to mentalflex

10 Year - become better at execution, like lightning-fast ninja-skillz when it comes to choose good business decisions and decisions in general, with complete lack of emotion...(what type of business? I'm curious as to why you think this would be beneficial.) and full focus on the outcome and future goals. I don't know if this is to lack of knowledge or perfecting it as a skill. Time will tell but I tend to think it's skill based.

Hmm I think this is a rather idealist way of looking at things as I didn't put any material assets into the equation. Interesting.

funmetal
                  In yellow
                  2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Very cool mentalflex! If you are aspiring to own your own business with employees, or be in a senior leadership position someday, I would highly recommend the book "The Secret- What Great Leaders Know and Do" by Ken Blanchard. It is phenomenal at putting into words how to serve those you are supervising and how to draw out their motivation and investment in what you are trying to accomplish.
                    Macho, thanks for the reading recommendation. I'll probably pick it up this week.

As you work towards achieving your own goals, I wish you all the best. Keep on keeping on and never stop looking to make yourself and the lives around you better.

Cheers man:tea:

Kris
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Very cool goals DH! What would qualify you as having become a better person? Just curious as to what some tangible goals in that department might be.
                      1.Well, before everything else i want to develop a strong and firm believe system and base all my actions and goals on it.

2.Good and strong character.For me that includes integrity ,honesty ,courage ,loyalty ,etc.

3.Strong and positive mentality.Find inner-peace and obtain an emotional well-being.

4.Strong and healthy physique.

5.Create and develop my inner-life and discover the essence of my being.

This illustrates "becoming a better person" for me.I like to look at my self with brutal honesty every day about these things and work on my flaws.
                      I hope one day i'll be proud about who i've become.

Comment

HOW GOALS HAVE CHANGED:

I'm 25, the biggest way my goals have changed is that they have become a little bit more long term driven, less selfish, and mostly revolve around my wife and future children (first child is due Thanksgiving day!).

GOALS:

1 month- Be settled into my new job (starting Aug 22nd), Hit a few new PRs in the gym, attend at least one birthing class with my wife.

1 year- Buy our first home, increase the amount I give to the Church, be a better husband (more listening, cooler temper, not allowing lustful thoughts/looking at other women enter my mind ever), be a loving and caring father of our first son, continue to provide for my family, pay off my wifes credit card and her car, Hit a raw 1400 total at 198lbs.

5 year- increase the amount I give to the Church so that I am titheing all of my income, move up with the company I'm working with, or move into a better GM position for another company, be more involved in some sort of charity work (right to life, knights of columbus, prison ministry, etc.), continue to grow and become a better provider/sacrificer for my family, have 1-2 more kids (if God so decides to bless us with that), be debt free aside from the mortage, Hit a raw 1600 total at 221lbs.

10 year- Buy new house, open my own gym OR be in a GM position that I truely love OR work from home and earn income training/doing consults through my website, have another 2-3 kids (again, if God so chooses to bless us with this... yep that would be around 9 kids maybe!), Buy a boat, continue to get stronger and compete at something (PL, Strong man, bodybuilding, etc.), be financially stable to the point that we can take a big family vacation at least once/year.
                        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Find a way to stop aging
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

Comment

You, along with DH, seem to have becoming a better person as a pretty high priority. I am also curious what things you don't think you do well, or what some tangible proof you have improved might be?

I realize that is extremely personal and understand if you don't care to share.
                            Well when I said nine years ago I was talking about, looking back ten years from now and being a better person than I am now. I know I need to learn more patience, I need to start giving back to the community a little more i.e. volunteering. Obviously at some point my marriage failed because of some of my influence, she did cheat, but some things I did led to that, I became consumed with bodybuilding and recently I've been able to make it something I do not who I am, missing a workout to go to the beach with my son is far more important to me than working out.

For instance last night, I was at a gas station and this kid in a NAVY uniform was out of gas and his wife had the card and he needed to get back to base so I gave him $13 in gas to get back. He serves to protect me the least I can do is help him out. I also don't believe you should ever stop growing mentally and/or spiritually as a person. I think we all can improve in one form or fashion.
                            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

First- After getting married and getting kids in the mix, my goals have changed a bit towards providing for my family and longevity for my life, so that I can stay in theirs.

Second- 1 Year= I want to be around 260, and healthy. I want to be able to lift more, run faster for longer periods of time, and feel great. I also want to be more spiritually connected. I've found a great church through meeting up with an old high school friend randomly at Freebirds, and turns out he's a pastor, and I was at a really hard part in life. To me, that's not just chance.
                              10 years = My house will be paid for, I'll be 36 and happy for that. I want to be putting money towards savings and have everything financially straight. I'm not sure if I'd like to be a Sargeant by then, or possibly work traffic or SWAT, but I want to explore other parts of the department, who know's where I'll end up.
                              30 years= Age will be 56, I want to be retired by then, possibly sooner, buy a cabin type house somewhere away from just about everything, have a nice pond and a GREAT view of the sunsets. Continuing with health and fitness of course.
                              …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X