Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whose been to gatlinburg/pigeon forge TN?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • whose been to gatlinburg/pigeon forge TN?

    going there for the first time for 4-5 days starting fri,any recomendations of must see or do's ?
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

  • #2
    Holy FUCKING SHIT DO NOT GO

    IT IS AN UNHOLY SHITBALL OF A TOWN

    Seriously it is the tackiest place I have ever been to in my life. Driving through it literally made me nauseated.

    They absolutely ruined the natural beauty of the place with gaudy tourist traps and horrible shops. It is disgusting. And the traffic is a motherfucking NIGHTMARE.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

    Comment


    • #3
      damn would have been good info to have had before making reservations for a "cabin". im taking my 13 yr old daughter i suspect we will stick to the out doors for the most part
      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
      -John Ceasar

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
        damn would have been good info to have had before making reservations for a "cabin". im taking my 13 yr old daughter i suspect we will stick to the out doors for the most part
        JohnCaesar, DCbliever and I went there for the SPF nationals a few months ago.

        If you can get away from the horrible TOURIST crap then the mountains and forests are beautiful.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

        Comment


        • #5
          I went there in High School for a Band competition... and thought it was awesome... Good food, the "strip" seemed really cool at night... Dollywood was OK... but perhaps my high school taste wouldn't agree with my current 25 year old taste...

          But from what I remember it was fun.
          -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
          -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
          198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
          -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
          198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
          -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
          198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
            I went there in High School for a Band competition... and thought it was awesome... Good food, the "strip" seemed really cool at night... Dollywood was OK... but perhaps my high school taste wouldn't agree with my current 25 year old taste...

            But from what I remember it was fun.
            Also keep in mind my tastes are significantly different than the types of people who visit there. :israel:
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

            Comment


            • #7
              sounds like typical tourist destination then.....my gf and daughter will likely enjoy the strip, but im not really the type that likes to go on "holiday" to shop at malls. looking foreward to just relaxing and being somewhere other than home for a few days. i really wanted to take my daughter to myrtle beach (i do like tacky when there is a large body af salt water involved) but we really couldnt find a pet friendly ocean front accomodation we could afford or wasnt already booked.
              Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
              -John Ceasar

              Comment


              • #8
                just went there for a few day's. The strip is lame but the cabins in the mountains are beautiful. Very relaxing. There's an outlet mall that your gf may enjoy but i recommend staying away from there unless you like shopping yourself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  JohnCaesar, DCbliever and I went there for the SPF nationals a few months ago.

                  If you can get away from the horrible TOURIST crap then the mountains and forests are beautiful.
                  Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  Also keep in mind my tastes are significantly different than the types of people who visit there. :israel:
                  Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                  sounds like typical tourist destination then.....my gf and daughter will likely enjoy the strip, but im not really the type that likes to go on "holiday" to shop at malls. looking foreward to just relaxing and being somewhere other than home for a few days. i really wanted to take my daughter to myrtle beach (i do like tacky when there is a large body af salt water involved) but we really couldnt find a pet friendly ocean front accomodation we could afford or wasnt already booked.
                  Yes you will enjoy the cabins, no doubt about that. The strip is your typical strip but there is definitely more than a hint of white trashery going around. I got tired of it in like 4 hours. The kids will like it, lots of places to eat and the typical tourist trap. I did want to try the white light indoor mini golf, that looked cool. You will enjoy yourself but it's not some where you'll be dying to get back to, plus driving on that strip is a bitch.
                  For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My family has a cabin there and me and the wife go there a few times a year for long weekends just to get away from everything for a little bit. Very nice for just relaxing and hanging out. The tourist traps are out of control but there is some good eating there. Go too the AppleBarn and eat, u wont be disappointed. We enjoy tubing, we get a two person tube and tube through this small river that flows in between the mountains. We also like to go up to the top of the mouintain passes and enjoy the waterfalls on the way up and stuff. Ziplining is fun also. The strip can be gaudy and annoying but if u get off the beaten path its a very relaxing place.
                    PAIN IS TEMPORARY, GREATNESS IS FOREVER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Use to go a few times of year for car shows (Rod Run) and such. I never stayed at a cabin but have many friends that go yearly and they love it.
                      The strip is touristy but when you want a break from the cabin it's not bad to just go for a walk and make fun of people :-)
                      Bryan


                      Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jeremy24 View Post
                        My family has a cabin there and me and the wife go there a few times a year for long weekends just to get away from everything for a little bit. Very nice for just relaxing and hanging out. The tourist traps are out of control but there is some good eating there. Go too the AppleBarn and eat, u wont be disappointed. We enjoy tubing, we get a two person tube and tube through this small river that flows in between the mountains. We also like to go up to the top of the mouintain passes and enjoy the waterfalls on the way up and stuff. Ziplining is fun also. The strip can be gaudy and annoying but if u get off the beaten path its a very relaxing place.
                        this is pretty much what im after...i do a good bit of white water rafting where i live in southern wv...but i think the tubing sounds interesting to take my daughter on. iv never gone ziplining though
                        Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                        -John Ceasar

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I live there / here. My $.02 is this. Since you have not been here before I would check out the strip and the outlet malls, etc. You may like it, you may not. The best part of this area though is a well located cabin that is secluded with views yet still close to everything. It is pretty cool to wake up to the sunrise from behind the mountains with a nice cup of coffee while sitting on the deck of your cabin. The National Park is really beautiful. Plenty of trailheads to set in on and hike. Plenty of rivers to swim in and or tube. I would definately make the drive up to the top of the park and check out Clingman's Dome. It has a panoramic view of several states.



                          The Apple Barn is a must for breakfast at least one day, but the place the is the best breakfast in town is The Pancake Pantry on the strip in Gatlinburg. Sammich is correct in saying that most of the attractions are corny and the traffic is pretty bad but if you spend most of your time doing the nature stuff then you will be ok. If you have any other questions just let me know.
                          Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

                          My Training Log Here at IM

                          "Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            cool ...ill admit sammich's origional post had me concerned but im now looking forward to making the trip and seeing some place new, hell i have a good time in my own back yard so im easily amused anyway. thanks for the ideas an comments. sounds like we will have plenty to see and do. we camp at the state paks in wv/va a lot so a trip to the national park is likely a must.
                            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                            -John Ceasar

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, it is lovely if you avoid the tourist crap. I remember driving in from the west down I-40 slowly seeing the mountains come up. When you exit into Gatlinburg, there's a turn where ALL OF A SUDDEN the mountains come out of nowhere and seeing them that close is breathtaking.
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X