What's your "type"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your "type"?

I was having a discussion with a friend and she asked when it comes to women, what my "type" was. Looks, personality, the whole bit.

My question is: In the long run, does this really even matter? For those that don't know me, I'm a follower of Christ...so I believe that the decision of who I'll marry will be left up to Him in the end, anyway. However, even if you don't share my belief in Him (or if you do)-

Does this question- "What is your type"- really have ANY significance in the end result?
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
    I was having a discussion with a friend and she asked when it comes to women, what my "type" was. Looks, personality, the whole bit.

My question is: In the long run, does this really even matter? For those that don't know me, I'm a follower of Christ...so I believe that the decision of who I'll marry will be left up to Him in the end, anyway. However, even if you don't share my belief in Him (or if you do)-

Does this question- "What is your type"- really have ANY significance in the end result?
    Personally I don't see a single reason to get married. But in a partner I guess I would want someone who has a similar outlook on life that I do and I like being around. Don't know how to describe it really, guess I'll know when it happens.

On a sidenote without hijacking your thread; why do you want to get married?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
      Personally I don't see a single reason to get married. But in a partner I guess I would want someone who has a similar outlook on life that I do and I like being around. Don't know how to describe it really, guess I'll know when it happens.

On a sidenote without hijacking your thread; why do you want to get married?
      I don't want to get married right now (obviously), but in the long run I want to get married because I believe it represents something that myself (and my wife) believe in. It is presenting us as "one" before God and the rest of society, and our commitment to the same idea (not necessarily our Love for each other, cause that may fade) of marriage as the cornerstone of the family.

To be quite honest the above is what I've gathered, and I'm 100% certain there's much more to it that I don't know and am ignorant about, just because of being so young.
      TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Usually your "type" is what you are physically attracted to. That however, is often not who you are most compatible with, which is much more important in a long term relationship...otherwise hot, young, trendy, promiscuous, shallow, dumb, annoying girls would be girlfriend material.

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
          I don't want to get married right now (obviously), but in the long run I want to get married because I believe it represents something that myself (and my wife) believe in. It is presenting us as "one" before God and the rest of society, and our commitment to the same idea (not necessarily our Love for each other, cause that may fade) of marriage as the cornerstone of the family.

To be quite honest the above is what I've gathered, and I'm 100% certain there's much more to it that I don't know and am ignorant about, just because of being so young.
          Meh. With divorce rates being around 50% and men usually being fucked over in divorces I don't think I ever wanna get married. I wouldn't make a bet where I had a 50% chance of losing alot and not winning very much.

I can see myself with a life-long partner, but if shit gets real I'd like to be able to pull out without losing all my shit.

Any married/divorced guys wanna comment on that?

Comment

Meh. With divorce rates being around 50% and men usually being fucked over in divorces I don't think I ever wanna get married. I wouldn't make a bet where I had a 50% chance of losing alot and not winning very much.

I can see myself with a life-long partner, but if shit gets real I'd like to be able to pull out without losing all my shit.

Any married/divorced guys wanna comment on that?
            You're forgetting about all the financial benefits of being married. You get tax breaks, and a life long (or at least marriage long) split of all living expenses. Half the rent/mortgage, half the cable, half the phone, half the utilities...that stuff adds up. The key is to marry a girl and stay in the duel income, no kids life for as long as possible and build. From the perspective of a single guy in his 30's, I've never been able to afford my own place and it sucks always having to find new roommates when they get married. The only guys really in danger are those that have a lot money going into a marriage with someone that doesn't. That's certainly not me & probably not a lot of us.

Comment

I believe that your "type" happens to mean a lot...you must be compatible with your mate in as many areas as possible if you want your relationship/marriage to succeed...that isn't saying that if there are many different interests between you that you can't come to like what the other does. Marriage shouldn't mean settling in and not trying to experience new things, but quite the opposite. I think the "type" of person is most often thought of as a specific look/attitude that you may gravitate toward...in my own experience, how a girl looked was ALWAYS the first thing that got me to enter the chase...then after meeting/getting to know that person I could decide where to go with it...I have been married for almost 13 years and it hasn't all been peaches and cream, but I have no regrets and love my wife with all my heart...we are quite different in many ways, but we share a lot of common bonds on many different things...we have built a life together, and after all, that's what its about, isn't it?
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                You're forgetting about all the financial benefits of being married. You get tax breaks, and a life long (or at least marriage long) split of all living expenses. Half the rent/mortgage, half the cable, half the phone, half the utilities...that stuff adds up. The key is to marry a girl and stay in the duel income, no kids life for as long as possible and build. From the perspective of a single guy in his 30's, I've never been able to afford my own place and it sucks always having to find new roommates when they get married. The only guys really in danger are those that have a lot money going into a marriage with someone that doesn't. That's certainly not me & probably not a lot of us.
                The bolded part you can have when you live with your girlfriend without getting married. In the end I think men have lost much more money buy legally binding to a women than they have saved. Don't you think?

And when you pay for wedding, ring, honeymoon etc. you might even come out in loss.

Comment

The bolded part you can have when you live with your girlfriend without getting married. In the end I think men have lost much more money buy legally binding to a women than they have saved. Don't you think?

And when you pay for wedding, ring, honeymoon etc. you might even come out in loss.
                  Hard to say, but usually you're gonna have to do some compromise in a relationship. There aren't many women out there that will stay in a long term relationship with no hope of marriage. And, good luck getting away without a wedding ceremony....but isn't her dad supposed to pay that anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                    Hard to say, but usually you're gonna have to do some compromise in a relationship. There aren't many women out there that will stay in a long term relationship with no hope of marriage. And, good luck getting away without a wedding ceremony....but isn't her dad supposed to pay that anyway
                    Well, if she doesn't wanna be with me without me having to sign a legally binding contract to her, she isn't my type

Btw, wedding culture is different where I'm from. Probably has something to do with the fact that most people aren't really religious.
                    Last edited by Quadriceps; 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

:sammich:

W
                      H
                      O
                      R
                      E
                      S

:sammich:
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

I don't think that too many younger people put much thought into marriage these days anyway. There are tons of young kids having babies together without even having marriage as a thought. That in my opinion, takes the religion thing right outta the equation. Its just like everything else, in that everyone is in a hurry for everything these days. I personally feel also that so many girls/women fail to visualize anything PAST their dream wedding. There is so much effort that goes into planning the perfect wedding, yet divorce rate is so high that it is obvious there is very LITTLE work that goes into the actual MARRIAGE, which in reality is what actually counts...to me there really is no perfect "type" or mate. People change over time and there is always the chance that a couple will grow apart. Its just a fact that can't be ignored. There is about a 60% chance that a marriage will fail, so imo, the process of finding the right person should not be taken lightly. Or, you could just stick to whores like Sammich said. A lot of variety there and probably more cost effective if you plan it out right...
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Sorry I mean SLUTS
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

Comment

There is no perfect girl out there for you. There is no type that is going to be everything you want and need. So give up....or be like me and understand that you are probably not the perfect type. What I did is just decided to compromise and settle for a 5 foot 8 Blonde hottie who is a Doctor, earns heaps of money, stays trim (has 6 pack abs) fake 8 D breasts, weighs 50kg and treats me nice with plenty of loving (5 out of 7 easy average). The thing is I prefer a girls who's 5 foot 6 so it's all just one big compromise.
                            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                            ~William Bernbach

Comment

The OP says he is a follower of Christ, which means he shouldn't be having sex until he gets married. I can't imagine buying a car without test driving it, or buying a home without a walk through.

On a more serious note, your type is just who youre attracted to or compatible with. Since your destiny has already been set in stone, you have no need to worry.

Comment

Working...
                              X