Shankuan - August Featured Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shankuan - August Featured Member

Our Featured Member for August is shankuan. Shan, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions and give us a glimpse into the person behind the screenname.

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

Shan, Shabby (freshman nickname in college that STUCK), Shabby dread (because of the nickname and my locks)

2. Where do you live?

Jamaica

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

Business Analyst (Telecoms)

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

Yes. No kids and no pets as kids either.

5. What three words best describe you?

Disciplined, loyal, passionate

6. What 10 things would someone see when they walked in your door?

Green wall (kind of hard to ignore), overflowing book shelf, supplement stash, pics of fam/friends, overflowing trophy case

7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

netball, football(soccer), volleyball and badminton.

8. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

Set up my fresh food/salad eatery and (work full time in) strength conditioning & nutritional consulting business.

9. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

None. Unless going on a road trip, I don’t spend much time in my car.

10. If you COULD erase one year out of your life, which one would it be?
    Why?

I would only want to erase the tremendous pain felt from having a close friend die in 2002, but the lessons learnt and the person I’ve grown to become as a result I wouldn’t change for the world.

11. What bill do you hate to pay the most?

Credit card

12. What will you do with your tax refund?

Put it into my fitness bootcamp business.

13. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it?

I ‘owned’ my 1st car at age 26. Still have it - a 1999 mitsubishi colt. Run’s like a dream.

14. What goals are you working to achieve this year?

Get at least 1 of my businesses up and running full time; working for myself fulltime, getting NSCA-CPT certified.

15. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

Muhammed Ali

16. If you could only eat FIVE foods for the rest of your life, what would you pick?

Watermelon, pop tarts, Dr. Gwyn’s spare ribs, raisin oat wheat bread, m&m’s

17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)?

It takes great skill for one to touch one’s toes and not fall over.

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco’s?

Price mart is our version of Costco’s and I always get bottled water.

19. Who is your favorite cartoon character?

Tweety bird

20. Does someone at the gym really annoy you? why?

Not anymore. I spend limited time in the gym and the focus is usually on my clients, my class or me so I hardly have time to notice much less be bothered by anyone else.

21. How often are you late for work or school?

More often than I should be

22. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

Define ‘date’.

23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

I used to drink rubbing alcohol by the capful as a teenager.

24. Have you ever found something in your parent’s bedroom that was questionable?

Never ventured THAT far into their room.

25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Anywhere I could do what I love and be with whom I love.

26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

I good whiff of it is all that’s needed these days.

27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where?

no

28. Do you have any piercings? Where?

Ears, Belly button

29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?

Smile and calves (if I can see them)

30. What is your favorite lift?

deadlift

31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Easygoing, level headed, ability to laugh at one’s self, respectful and caring

32. What magazine do you read most often?

I’m a ‘book’ worm.

33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

invincibility

34. What motivates you in life?

The fact that life is too short to waste it.

35. Graduating GPA from high school?

Honestly don’t remember I but I’d hazard a guess around 3.5

36. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

I think so

37. If you had to give up one electronic gadget, what would it be?

Laptop

38. Last book you read?

The One-Minute Entrepreneur – Ken Blanchard

39. What got you motivated to start lifting?

I picked up an injury my last year in college and in order to get better fast enough so I could try out for the national volleyball team, I hit the gym…hard!

40. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

It’s a no bs board. The quality of info here and the mods/vets who constantly are willing to share, answer questions honestly and without ego or arrogance keeps me coming back.
    Last edited by phoenix13; 08-01-2011, 11:07 AM.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Inquiring minds want to know...why did you drink rubbing alcohol as a teen?
    Attached Files
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thanks for the honour!

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
      Inquiring minds want to know...why did you drink rubbing alcohol as a teen?
      lolol. I used to drink it thinking it was really no different from the white rum my dad always had or any other 'alcohol'. And because he or my mom would KNOW if any of us touched the stash in the house I thought I was outsmarting them by getting the same thing from this. steeeuuuups that I was right?! Well I got a real whoop ass when my mom found out I was into the habit. Cured me instantly! :hysterica
      2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
      2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
      2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
      2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
      2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
      2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

Good stuff. And pop tarts are always on my mind.

What is it like in Jamaica? Socioeconomically?
        International Elite Raw Powerlifter
        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Always interesting getting to know the people behind the avatars.

Comment

Originally posted by Future View Post
            Good stuff. And pop tarts are always on my mind.

What is it like in Jamaica? Socioeconomically?
            Pop tarts = magic! at least to me

Shawn, I don't think i can give you a fair enough answer to that question without turning it into an essay...a very looong essay at that! So i'll just cut it short and give you the good and the bad in summary.

The good. its summer and its HOT. but the heat is something we are used to it being in the tropics. beaches are a dime a dozen but only on the north and west coast is it really worth the experience. lots of culture to be experienced. people are warm and friendly and hilarious. and oh do we love food. sunday dinner is an EVENT in every Jamaican household. jerk pork is sacred and jwray & nephew white rum is the heavenly spirit. we don't need and excuse to 'cook' a meal and share with our neighbours. music is the heartbeat of any household,school or community you go into. we have more churches per square mile and we treat Usain Bolt very much like any other skinny kid with a future...cuss him when he does shit, praise and congratulate him when he does good.

The bad/ugly. Like many struggling economies, crime and escalating debt are our biggest issues. Add to that a corrupt political/juducial system, failing social institutions (the church/family being the biggest), an increasing poor class, declining standard of living and I could go on and on...one has to work pretty hard to keep things together. I don't think our issues are unique, i just think our government has been quick to sell us out to the highest bidder only to label it as 'development' and in the process lose valuable resources we could have used to build our economy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade living and working here for the world and many make it work by doing what they must. I just feel that in 20 years, my kids and grand kids are going to be spinning in the same hamster wheel and feel the same kind of frustrations if things do not change. And like many other nations in similar situations, the question is how do we start this change?

See....i told you it would turn into an essay ...:o

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
            Thanks for sharing. Always interesting getting to know the people behind the avatars.
            Thanks for reading Michael! It was definitely an honour being asked to share
            2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
            2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
            2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
            2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
            2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
            2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

Wow. Thank you for sharing. I always wondered the irony of resorts for rich travelers that visit a place with a lot of poverty and corruption.
              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by shankuan View Post
                I used to drink it thinking it was really no different from the white rum my dad always had or any other 'alcohol'. And because he or my mom would KNOW if any of us touched the stash in the house I thought I was outsmarting them by getting the same thing from this.
                Brilliant, Shan! I'm so glad I never thought of that as a teen.

Thanks for shedding some light on the beauty and struggle of where you live. I wondered the same thing myself.
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

good read thanks

Comment

Easy way I find to touch your toes, lie in bed, curl up in a ball and eh presto :hysterica xx

NABBA Miss World Italy 2013 - 3rd
                    NABBA Miss Universe 2012 - 1st
                    NABBA World Brazil 2011 - 5th
                    NABBA Miss Britain Champion 2011-1st
                    NABBA Universe 2010 Trained Figure- 5th
                    NABBA UK 2010 Trained Figure-1st
                    NABBA England 2010 Trained Figure-2nd

Comment

^^^^ bump for Shan
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by shankuan View Post
                        Pop tarts = magic! at least to me

Shawn, I don't think i can give you a fair enough answer to that question without turning it into an essay...a very looong essay at that! So i'll just cut it short and give you the good and the bad in summary.

The good. its summer and its HOT. but the heat is something we are used to it being in the tropics. beaches are a dime a dozen but only on the north and west coast is it really worth the experience. lots of culture to be experienced. people are warm and friendly and hilarious. and oh do we love food. sunday dinner is an EVENT in every Jamaican household. jerk pork is sacred and jwray & nephew white rum is the heavenly spirit. we don't need and excuse to 'cook' a meal and share with our neighbours. music is the heartbeat of any household,school or community you go into. we have more churches per square mile and we treat Usain Bolt very much like any other skinny kid with a future...cuss him when he does shit, praise and congratulate him when he does good.

The bad/ugly. Like many struggling economies, crime and escalating debt are our biggest issues. Add to that a corrupt political/juducial system, failing social institutions (the church/family being the biggest), an increasing poor class, declining standard of living and I could go on and on...one has to work pretty hard to keep things together. I don't think our issues are unique, i just think our government has been quick to sell us out to the highest bidder only to label it as 'development' and in the process lose valuable resources we could have used to build our economy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade living and working here for the world and many make it work by doing what they must. I just feel that in 20 years, my kids and grand kids are going to be spinning in the same hamster wheel and feel the same kind of frustrations if things do not change. And like many other nations in similar situations, the question is how do we start this change?

See....i told you it would turn into an essay ...:o

Thanks for reading Michael! It was definitely an honour being asked to share
                        very interesting, feel free to write further essays on said subject as well as post pics so that htose of us living in cooler climes can know what we are missing
                        Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                        -John Ceasar

Comment

Working...
                        X