Polarized Sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarized Sunglasses

I need to buy a quality pair of sunglasses for my long driving commute to school. I found a pair of Oakleys that I like, but I'm trying to decide if I want to spend an extra $50 to get the polarized ones. Some people love polarized sunglasses, but I read that they can make it hard to read LCD displays and can make other cars' windshields reflect a weird/distorted color. Are polarized sunglasses worth the extra cost?

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
      Yes
      :sammich:
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Ok, little more detail: in a nutshell it has to do with physics, electromagnetic waves, refraction, reflection, etc. and Sammich feel free to chime in to slap me, cause I'm sure I'll mess this up, but while light coming from the sun itself is not polarized, it is refracted/reflected off of various surfaces. The reflected light is polarized and with unpolarized lenses this light will go directly to your eyes, into more dilated pupils, because when your eyes are covered with dark lenses, they dilate to allow more light in so you can see more clearly etc. So, with unpolarized lenses you have no protection against this light and you are allowing more in with darker lenses, because your eyes are dilated.

Comment

You could have just said "they really cut down on road glare, so if you're driving a lot they're definitely worth it

But if you wanna go there, only the tangentially polarized components of the electric field are transmitted on reflection, such that if you wear vertically polarized glasses, they mostly block the horizontally-polarized rays that are reflected off the road while still letting in the mostly un-polarized ambient light.

But yes, they can make LCD displays and some car windows look weird, but it's nothing major and it's a small price to pay for being able to, y'know, see.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

I will forever have a set of polarized sunglasses. Here's why:

Makes driving a breeze even in direct sunlight.
            -makes other car's windows hazy? who cares? stop looking in other people's windows
            -makes lcds hard to see? yes. I tilt my head slightly to see my radio's lcd. -Also have to lift my glasses to see my phone, but I shouldn't be playing with my phone while driving

Makes fishing really fun.
            -you can see right into the water and see the fish.

Snow sports are more enjoyable
            -no more snow glare

I could go on and on, but there's no need to. Polarized sunglasses are worth it. Oakleys are worth the crazy price.
            -Tan
            Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

swear by them as well
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

I agree with everyone else that it does matter. I got a custom pair of Oakleys and skimped on getting the polarized lenses (I honestly didn't think it would matter) BUT ... I bought them to coach baseball so that really didn't matter. Now, I use them for riding my Harley and I am likely going to have to get another pair before next year that are polarized. My wife has a pair that are polarized and I was floored that there was such a big difference. Mine cost about twice as much as hers did but because she has polarized lenses, hers actually work better for riding than mine do.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Yes!

I wear Wiley-X, Top Jimmie, polarized. They are also ballistic impact certified, just in case you want to dual purpose them (seeing and shooting protection) and it really does clean up the detail in everything.
                  -DH
                  www.toopumped.net
                  7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
                  -DH

Comment

Ken, just wear Missy's. lol~unless they're too pink
                    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

I found a local company here in Colorado that makes good and cheap sunglasses. Maxx sunglasses
                      I have sunglasses for driving and goggles for when on the bike. $20 for High Hef or polarized
                      Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

live in Hawai'i and polarized lenses are an absolute must....
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by ProDH View Post
                          Yes!

I wear Wiley-X, Top Jimmie, polarized. They are also ballistic impact certified, just in case you want to dual purpose them (seeing and shooting protection) and it really does clean up the detail in everything.
                          -DH
                          David (or anyone else really):
                          Have you checked out www.usstandardissue.com? That's Oakley's government/military discount site. You can get everything at wholesale. I used to wear Wiley X in the field, but switched to Oakley cause it's easier to get prescription through them. Still ballistic and all. I got two pair ballistic, polarized and prescription for ~$185... You have to be in law enforcement, fire, or government...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
                            David (or anyone else really):
                            Have you checked out www.usstandardissue.com? That's Oakley's government/military discount site. You can get everything at wholesale. I used to wear Wiley X in the field, but switched to Oakley cause it's easier to get prescription through them. Still ballistic and all. I got two pair ballistic, polarized and prescription for ~$185... You have to be in law enforcement, fire, or government...
                            Yeah man, funny you mentioned that, I just got that website forwarded to me by my Co-worker. Lots of great stuff on there and people could get their sunglasses on the cheap and "donate" them to their close friends!

-DH
                            www.toopumped.net
                            7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
                            -DH

Comment

I'm in the business and each and every one of my customers that gets polarized lenses absolutely loves them. I just made a pair of polarized shades for my friend specifically for driving and he said it makes it that much easier to see.
                              Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Working...
                              X