Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I won a kitchen remodel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I won a kitchen remodel

    One of the local TV news stations were giving away a $15k kitchen remodel and I won it this evening. Does not include appliances. Current setup is original to the house an 15 years old.
    Anyone done a kitchen makeover recently and want to offer any suggestions?

    I plan to buy new appliances while we are at it.

    Thanks
    Bryan


    Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

  • #2
    Holy shit ... That is a hell of a deal, brotha. 15k goes a long way if appliances aren't in the fee.

    Skip


    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle


    For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

    Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

    Comment


    • #3
      If you price everything right, that 15k could get you a great kitchen AND all new appliances....Are you restricted to use a particular showroom/contractor? If you have high ceilings, a style that I really like and have done quite a few over the years has been to stagger the height on your wall cabinets, like going with 42" and 36" walls.....you can start in the corners with 42 inchers and stagger the height throughout. Add a crown moulding and maybe some under cabinet lighting, a valance over the sink and a fancy over the stove vent/top and you have a very classy looking kitchen....You are a lucky bastard...lol. My wife has been bitching at me to do our kitchen since we moved to this house 6 years ago....I have probably done about 10-12 kitchens in that time, none of them being ours....lol

      Have fun with it!
      STEEL




      "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

      Comment


      • #4
        Skip - Yeah $15k no appliances included. IT covers cabinets, counters and install.

        Steel - We are restricted to the local company that is doing the work. The do really nice work though. Ceiling is about 8'5 and the kitchen is only 11'x14'.
        Bryan


        Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

        Comment


        • #5
          If you need good cutlery, I suggest ordering Cutco.

          It doesn't have a lifetime guarantee, it has a FOREVER guarantee. So if you want a whole new set in two years...you got it. Also if your kids want to replace that set in 100 years...they can do that too- For free.
          TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

          Comment


          • #6
            Good for you. If it where me I would try to make my dollar go as far as possible. 15 grand sounds like a lot, but on a kitchen you can suck that up quick. We have been thinking about this lately and may have our cabinets painted with somewhat of a distressed look instead of replacing them. Then we would add new hardware as well. With the flooring we were wanting tile or wood, but another option is high end vinyl. Some of the new stuff is amazing and pretty durable. Finally we were debating on counter tops. There are a million options out there. I think we will probably go with Granite, but there is a new company that offers Granite that goes over your regular counter tops seamlessly, or so they say. It's much cheaper than regular granite, but supposedly looks the same. I think if we save money in other places we may just get regular granite as I think it would improve resale more than something that just goes over the counter. If you save money in one place or even two that will give you more room to splurge in other areas and still get a new look. By the way for all you single guys out there this is what happens when you get married.

            "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
            1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

            Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doberman View Post
              By the way for all you single guys out there this is what happens when you get married.

              "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
              This is so true it makes single guys heads spin when they get into marriage. It takes a while to adjust! Remember, kitchens, baths, and closets are what sell houses. Keep all that in mind while you're planning any remodel project unless you'll never sell the house.

              Comment


              • #8
                Did my kitchen a few years ago, some ideas we had and some we developed after the fact):. Hard tile in the kitchen means anything dropped on it is shattered. We have engineered flooring (I installed it), works fine but if you have a flood, it's ruined, real wood or good vinyl tiles are more practical. We went with tall wall cabinets, except over the kitchen sink so the shorties got raised above. Inset lighting, lighting on top of the cabinets also (mood type crap). Counter tops, I like stone manufactured types, marble takes special care, this stuff (home despot's stuff) is great and zero hassles to take care of. Lots of other ideas if you're interested.
                15K can go fast too, just be careful. We did the Ikea cabinets (they're pretty nice, but a pia to put together) to save bucks and installed it ourselves. Have fun, think about it, you're going to live with this for a while.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Congratulations, Bryan. Thats pretty cool. What type of contest was it? Just submit your name and win? Or, submit some photos or something with some designs on what you would do? Just wondering.

                  When we had our house built, we had all the sinks/counters done with a "back-saver" in mind...(I dont remember the proper term), but its where the counters/sinks are a few inches higher, where you dont have to bend over (as far)..so, it saves your back.

                  Good luck with it...

                  -slide
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

                  "Carry 24/7 or guess right."

                  "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

                  "993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm thinking about having the lower cabinets have to pull out drawers. It's such a pain after a leg or lower back workout to bend over to get out the cookware
                    Bryan


                    Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                      Good for you. If it where me I would try to make my dollar go as far as possible. 15 grand sounds like a lot, but on a kitchen you can suck that up quick. We have been thinking about this lately and may have our cabinets painted with somewhat of a distressed look instead of replacing them. Then we would add new hardware as well. With the flooring we were wanting tile or wood, but another option is high end vinyl. Some of the new stuff is amazing and pretty durable. Finally we were debating on counter tops. There are a million options out there. I think we will probably go with Granite, but there is a new company that offers Granite that goes over your regular counter tops seamlessly, or so they say. It's much cheaper than regular granite, but supposedly looks the same. I think if we save money in other places we may just get regular granite as I think it would improve resale more than something that just goes over the counter. If you save money in one place or even two that will give you more room to splurge in other areas and still get a new look. By the way for all you single guys out there this is what happens when you get married.

                      "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
                      actually we have gone to D.C. and as far away as myrtle beach from wv to install high end kitchens...

                      several members of my family own cabinet shops. paint&glaze+distress looks great, but is a fragile finish so careful with water and cleaners.

                      go with real granite, seams are a small price to pay, depending on the size of counter may not need a seam. look at samples but probally should go pick out the actual slab you want it cut out of its not cheap so make sure you like it. if you were inn my area could get you some great deals on custom cabinets tops etc.
                      Last edited by lhart6272; 07-02-2011, 11:21 PM.
                      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                      -John Ceasar

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                        One of the local TV news stations were giving away a $15k kitchen remodel and I won it this evening. Does not include appliances. Current setup is original to the house an 15 years old.
                        Anyone done a kitchen makeover recently and want to offer any suggestions?

                        I plan to buy new appliances while we are at it.

                        Thanks
                        go to the largets kitchen show room in the area and look at all the options and play with all the options a little bit. be mindful that though some stuff may look neat but is it going to hold up to years of use?

                        if the cabinets are custom, have them use conversion varnish for the finish it is superior to regular sealer/laquer finishes.

                        i prefer "easy reach" corner wall cabinets over regular corner/susan wall cabs.

                        hardwood floors look great til the dogs nails scratch it. tile will may cause a dish to break in a fall but a dish,unless its dear ol grannies passed down casserole dish, is much cheaper to replace than damaged hardwood or laminate floor. if you go with tile radiant floor heat is the SHIT.

                        if you have kids hard woods like hickory,oak,or ash can take a beating.though most find maple very versatile for getting the desired colour with out the grain of the hardwood. if you like deep red or brown colours cherry and alder are impossible to beat.

                        consider having a pedastal cabinet built for your dishwasher, it will stagger the height of your counter and is not suited for every kitchen layout but will save on the back, none of us are getting younger.

                        if you or anyone else for tha matter has specific questions abou cabinets pm me if i dont know i can find out.

                        again take time to look around and know what you want you are the one who will have to live with it not the designer/builder.
                        Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                        -John Ceasar

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          yesterday we went to Lowes and bought new appliances, all stainless. a 28.5cu/ft fridge w/ bottom freezer, glass top stove w/ovhd convection microwave and a nice QUIET dishwasher. They had a great 4th sale plus my military discount. Saved about $1500 from regular prices.

                          Went to their showroom today for about an hour looking and getting info. Nothing in stone yet but we are getting granite counters, an island, and full length hickory cabinets in a Lyptus Burgundy color with the crown molding. The brand of cabinets will be Starmark. They fall in the semi-custom / custom.

                          We haven't decided on the design style of the cabinets. I love that all of the drawers and doors have the easy close system on them. You can't slam them. Well, you might be able to if you really tried.

                          The owner is coming out Saturday to look over the kitchen and give his input on our selection so far.

                          I really need an interior designer to help with paint selection and other decorating ideas. I need something that hides greasy finger marks for when I come in from the garage :-)
                          Bryan


                          Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X