Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come people can't say something and just own up to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come people can't say something and just own up to it?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-S8K_jQAsw&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

So NBC omits "under god" from their intro.

THEN:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNvEzNh62FQ&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

They apolgize for it.

EITHER DON'T EDIT IT, OR DON't APOLOGIZE.... YOU CAN'T DO BOTH!!!!!! :frusty:

Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence. -Lemuel K. Washburn

Comment

Actually. They didn't apologize for editing it. They apologized for offending people. Unfortunately in our PC world of today, everybody is offended by everything.

Comment

Originally posted by davidb View Post
        Actually. They didn't apologize for editing it. They apologized for offending people. Unfortunately in our PC world of today, everybody is offended by everything.
        true.

yet my argument is simple: If you want me to be tolerant and understanding of you and your decisions. Then you should be tolerant of me and my decisions in return... right?

Comment

In my opinion if it was such a big deal, why just leave the pledge off altogether? What's the point in making a statement like that on national tv? They knew damn well it was going to offend SOMEONE, which to me voids apology. You apologize for something you usually weren't aware would happen, they knew from the beginning something like this would happen.
          …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
            true.

yet my argument is simple: If you want me to be tolerant and understanding of you and your decisions. Then you should be tolerant of me and my decisions in return... right?
            I think people nowadays have a misunderstanding of what "tolerance" means. By the very definition of the word, what is involved is a basic disagreement, where two parties definitely are not on the same side of things. Then, is involved letting the other party have their way without throwing a fit about everything.

What we have nowadays is the notion that tolerance should be- "You need to agree with me. If you don't then keep your mouth shut. It's not fair that you don't agree with me. And if you say you don't agree with me, then you're completely wrong, and everyone will persecute you for it."

It's stupid.
            TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

I saw some discussion in related articles discussing this that the "under god" phrase wasn't added to the pledge until somewhere in the 1950s. I found that interesting.

Given that as fact, which I didn't previously know, I think it should be omitted going forward. I don't think it should be omitted to exclude or include religion; it should be omitted purely to adhere to the original content of the allegiance.

edit: good article on the pledge alteration
              http://www.slate.com/id/2067499/
              Last edited by mct; 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X