Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak made from poop?

http://www.livescience.com/14669-poop-meat-safety.html

The mere idea is stomach-churning: creating food from human feces.

But researchers in Japan say they have done just that. They have synthesized meat from proteins found in human waste, according to news reports.

While the concept of chowing down on steak derived from poop may not exactly be appetizing, we wondered: is this meat safe?

(...)

The Japanese researchers isolated proteins from bacteria in sewage. The poop-meat concoction is prepared by extracting the basic elements of food — protein, carbohydrates and fats — and recombining them.

The meat is made from 63 percent proteins, 25 percent carbohydrates, 3 percent lipids and 9 percent minerals, according to Digital Trends. Soy protein is added to the mix to increase the flavor, and food coloring is used to make the product appear red.

The researchers came up with the idea after Tokyo Sewage asked them to figure out a use for the abundance of sewage in mud, Digital Trends says.

Powell is not familiar with the researchers' method, but said he guesses that they are first heat-treating the sewage before they reap its resources.

Powell said the idea is not all that different from eating plants that have been fertilized with manure or other excrement, because the nutrients in the poop become part of the plants.

"Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with this," Powell said. "It could be quite safe to eat, but I'm sure there's a yuck factor there," he said.

Yes, indeed. :puke:

This steak is shit hot!
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Breath smells like shit. I bet.

Comment

Wish I could say I'm surprised that this is from Japan...

Comment

I guess you can say he likes his steaks...

...well-dung
          Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Hmm, that doesn't sound so...OMG, there is soy protein in there?!?! That's got MSG! Gross!
            Andrew_s

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_s View Post
              Hmm, that doesn't sound so...OMG, there is soy protein in there?!?! That's got MSG! Gross!
              LMAO! This struck me pretty damned funny. Nice one.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Glad you liked it. I'll be performing stand up comedy later. I've also heard it be called military presses.
                Andrew_s

Comment

...ever seen a move called "soilent green"?
                  Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                  -John Ceasar

Comment

Eat shit japan!

Comment

its funny because the animals that you already eat are eating shit all the time.
                      2008 DC Journal
                      Use the code ECH436 at the checkout www.TrueProtein.com and save

Comment

Working...
                      X