Why deadlifts are a TERRIBLE exercise:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why deadlifts are a TERRIBLE exercise:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZHHdU_tRk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

These guys are full of useful information

I almost thought this was the latest Lee Salado thread when I read the title...

Comment

lol

I think he might train with these guys

Comment

Nothing's worse than a know-it-all clown, who can't even speak properly, spewing a bunch of shit that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Every exercise has the potential to be terrible. I've seen plenty of people hurt their backs on curls as well...which isn't exactly an exercise you'd traditionally think of being bad either.
          Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Although I don't like their presentation, I agree with alot of what they say. There is a HUGE risk/reward associated with deadlifts. I've decided, after going through back surgery, that the reward is NOT worth the risk. In fact, my back has improved dramatically since I STOPPED deadlifting.

Some exercises do not suit certain people well.
            Last edited by 5spotbullseye; 06-10-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
              Although I don't like their presentation, I agree with alot of what they say. There is a HUGE risk/reward associated with deadlifts. I've decided, after going through back surgery, that the reward is NOT worth the risk. In fact, my back has improved dramatically since I STOPPED deadlifting.

Some exercises do not suit certain people well.
              This I do agree with. I don't deadlift anymore because I have a genetic hip problem and minor scoliosis which fucked my back up a couple of years ago. I mostly stick to knee high rack pulls now instead (doesn't help that I have long ass legs relative to my torso so I gotta do a parallel squat basically to get my back in proper positioning). I think it all depends on your genetic structure as well. But to just outright say that they're a bad exercise in general is plain ignorant.
              Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Stupid video. Accidents happen. I didn't expect to rupture my calf deadlifting. Big deal. I tore my labrum doing laterals.

Those guys are the same that don't deadlift which is fine. But to they need to respond so no one thinks they are well "weak" for not doing deads.

Old hardgainer write ups all have the big three: squats, pressing movement and deads.
                International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Future View Post
                  Stupid video. Accidents happen. I didn't expect to rupture my calf deadlifting. Big deal. I tore my labrum doing laterals.

Those guys are the same that don't deadlift which is fine. But to they need to respond so no one thinks they are well "weak" for not doing deads.

Old hardgainer write ups all have the big three: squats, pressing movement and deads.
                  Agree with this. Injuries happen. You take all the precautions you can to mitigate them, but as a bodybuilder you have to come to grips that the longer you lift, the heavier you lift, the higher the chances are that you will get injured. It doesn't have to be a severe injury. Its not a guarantee that you will, but the chances increase the longer you lift no matter what lift you are doing imo... You could make the same video about squats, bench, heavy military press etc., There is always a substitution that people will swear will keep you from getting injured.

Comment

Travis, good post...couldn't agree more. ANY movement that you load with heavy ass weight has the potential to cause injury in the long run.

I literally spent the 2nd half of 2009 and the first half of 2010 in constant back pain...couldn't even bend over right to tie my shoes or brush my teeth...I would sneeze and be in immense pain. It was horrible.

It wasn't until I started deadlifting heavy for reps that my back healed. I now work up to 5+ plates regularly and as the weight increases week to week, my back just keeps feeling better and better. With that being said, I am sure my issue was muscular and not disc related.

Nothing builds back thickness like the deadlift.

You just have to be smart about how you train it...if you feel like garbage that day or something just feels off, just rep out or skip it all together. I think a lot of people get hurt because they simply let their ego get in the way which leads to stupid training.
                    Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

If you pay close attention to what they say and how they say it, I suspect these guys have VERY limited experience with deadlifting.

I can see 'em walking into the gym and saying something like:

"Man, you wanna do them deadlifts again today?..."

"Shit, are you kiddin' me? That shit hurt like hell the last time we did those. I was messed up for days after that..."

"I damn near snapped some fuckin' shit up my low back with them things, man!"

"Yeah, fuck that."

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

LOL true true.
                        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

^
                          Werd
                          Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                            "Man, you wanna do them deadlifts again today?..."
                            -S
                            Reminds me of guys like this:

[YOUTUBE]xHoOMQB8twg[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Yikes! Where is the neighborhood watch when you need them?
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X