For the computer people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the computer people

im half awake and had i just typed everything up but then the page changed so i lost it, so this one will be alittle shorter and to the point. i have alittle issue i need to be enlightened on

computer 1 had vista, but got a virus and needs to be factory reset
    computer 2 has windows 7 and is fine

i dont have the Operating system or driver CD's for either.

i was planning on calling Dell to see if they could send me the CD's for computer 1, but then i thought, why dont i just tell them i need CD's for computer 2, so that i can get windows 7?

can anyone tell me why i cant or why i shouldn't do this? im calling tomorrow

Originally posted by teckno05 View Post
    im half awake and had i just typed everything up but then the page changed so i lost it, so this one will be alittle shorter and to the point. i have alittle issue i need to be enlightened on

computer 1 had vista, but got a virus and needs to be factory reset
    computer 2 has windows 7 and is fine

i dont have the Operating system or driver CD's for either.

i was planning on calling Dell to see if they could send me the CD's for computer 1, but then i thought, why dont i just tell them i need CD's for computer 2, so that i can get windows 7?

can anyone tell me why i cant or why i shouldn't do this? im calling tomorrow
    There's a registration key embedded in windows which communicates with their server. The software will know that it isn't computer 2 based on the registry in the computer itself. You would probably need to contact Microsoft when trying to load it on computer 1. That's not to say that Microsoft wouldn't allow you to register computer 1 if you give them a line. But they will be suspicious and it will be a coin-toss as to whether they'll believe you.

Comment

The above plus Dell will more than likely ask you for the service tag off your PC which will tell them what OS was originally installed on the PC
      If stupidity were bricks, you'd be the great wall of China

Comment

I thought windows 7 had a feature where you can make a re install disk? You will have to get some empty disks, burn up the new disks, do upgrade on your vista machine, and use the same product key, because the product key is supposed to be good for I think 3 computers....

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
          I thought windows 7 had a feature where you can make a re install disk? You will have to get some empty disks, burn up the new disks, do upgrade on your vista machine, and use the same product key, because the product key is supposed to be good for I think 3 computers....
          Yes, you'll be fine for up to 3 computers. I think.

Go for it.

You own both of them, might as well use the one that you prefer on your PC.
          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
          www.316fit.com
          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X