Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two muslims kicked off a plane because pilot refuses to fly with them

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/0...ked.off.plane/

The two -- who hold high religious positions in the Muslim community -- were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, or Islamaphobia. The meeting is sponsored by the North American Imams Federation.
    Ironic story is ironic.

Seriously though, WTF?

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/0...ked.off.plane/

Ironic story is ironic.

Seriously though, WTF?
    This really is an excessively stupid country.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

I just love the thought that after going through the utter humiliation of TSA these days, you can still get kicked off the plane because the pilot is a bigot.
      This is an Irony Point- ؟
      An Irony Point is a punctuation mark denoting that a sentence should be understood as ironic or sarcastic.

"When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large"- Gaston.

Comment

The sad part is that there are going to be people that hear about this that are going to be praising the pilot for doing this. In my experience it will be the Christians that are going to say "good for him", "we need more pilots like this guy!" stuff like that.
        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
        www.316fit.com
        Email: [email protected]

Comment

i wonder how the airline is going to deal with the pilot? last time i checked there would be a pretty serious consequence if this happened anywhere else, say, refusing them at a restaurant? or a bar? i'm thinking along the lines of what happened to African Americans however many years ago.

theres also the sad possibility that a factor in the pilots actions could've been him wanting his "15 seconds of fame".

random thought, if there are aliens out there watching earth, is it any wonder why they would make sure we never contacted them? lol

Comment

I'm gonna take heat for this, but I don't think this is a big deal. I'm a guy with natural dark complexions and fly a lot. I get extra attention all of the time. Am I a Muslim? Hell no, I'm actually Jewish, but I don't mind going through the extra security and baggage checks which I often undergo. For me, at some point idealism takes a back seat to reality and the reality is that the Muslims are central to most of the devastating attacks around the world, so I don't mind this pilot at all, and I'm personally willing to go through a little extra shit if it means I'm a little bit safer.

Go ahead, tee off on me. I didn't always think like this; I've only come to grips with this opinion recently and I'm willing to take the heat for it.
            Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
              I'm gonna take heat for this, but I don't think this is a big deal. I'm a guy with natural dark complexions and fly a lot. I get extra attention all of the time. Am I a Muslim? Hell no, I'm actually Jewish, but I don't mind going through the extra security and baggage checks which I often undergo. For me, at some point idealism takes a back seat to reality and the reality is that the Muslims are central to most of the devastating attacks around the world, so I don't mind this pilot at all, and I'm personally willing to go through a little extra shit if it means I'm a little bit safer.

Go ahead, tee off on me. I didn't always think like this; I've only come to grips with this opinion recently and I'm willing to take the heat for it.
              You realize they went through security, and then secondary security, and where even rescreened but the pilot still refused to take them in and took off.

I'm just gonna say it, you're an idiot. What would you do if you if this happened to you? Just say: "Oh well, I look like a terrorist so I can't really complain."

Comment

I don't blame you for your views. I actually used to think a lot like you. The terrorists have all been Muslim, so let's just stereotype every Muslim as a terrorist. I don't have anything to hide, so I don't mind going through a little extra trouble to maintain my safety. Who cares about the Patriot Act, all they are doing is trying to maintain our safety - I don't care if they spy on me, I have nothing to hide.

You are exactly the problem with our country right now. Everyone is so afraid of terrorists and muslims that we are all willing to give up our own privacy and freedoms to protect ourselves. Little by little things are being taken away from us under the guise of "safety." If we don't watch out, we won't have anything else to lose.

www.316fit.com

Comment

uhh.. dude idk what you read but we arent talking about extra security checks (which these 2 men had already gone through) we're talking about 2 men who were REFUSED by a pilot because they were Muslim. there are worlds of difference between extra security checks, or even "not so random" checks and being straight up denied by some bigot AFTER already being checked and cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by teckno05 View Post
                    uhh.. dude idk what you read but we arent talking about extra security checks (which these 2 men had already gone through) we're talking about 2 men who were REFUSED by a pilot because they were Muslim. there are worlds of difference between extra security checks, or even "not so random" checks and being straight up denied by some bigot AFTER already being checked and cleared.
                    Exactly...either he didn't read the story or is just a plain idiot. I'm hoping he just didn't read it.

Comment

Relax guys, no I didn't read the whole thing and no I didn't see that those guys went through extra security checks within the airport, so y'all do have a point on that. What I was primarily saying is that I don't mind stereotyping in a security setting when it comes to something as important as airport security, even if it costs me in some way.

You are exactly the problem with our country right now. Everyone is so afraid of terrorists and muslims that we are all willing to give up our own privacy and freedoms to protect ourselves. Little by little things are being taken away from us under the guise of "safety." If we don't watch out, we won't have anything else to lose.
                      For starters, those willing to give up rights are in the minority. The majority are willing to bend over backwards to protect other's rights, whether it be illegal immigrants, muslims, etc.

To your point, am I right in interpreting your concern as basically "its a slippery slope?" I guess that could happen, but it's not like it's an all of nothing situation. For me, I'm willing to give up certain rights in certain situations, but not others. I don't think you should say "Well, if we give up some rights we might not have any if things get out of hand, so I won't give up any to begin with."
                      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                        I don't blame you for your views. I actually used to think a lot like you. The terrorists have all been Muslim, so let's just stereotype every Muslim as a terrorist. I don't have anything to hide, so I don't mind going through a little extra trouble to maintain my safety. Who cares about the Patriot Act, all they are doing is trying to maintain our safety - I don't care if they spy on me, I have nothing to hide.

Fade, whats the reason you abandoned that train of thought. Is it because your rationale was wrong or are primarily concerned about the "rights" aspect of it and a fear that one day our rights will be all but gone?

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I know that after 9/11, I TOTALLY looked at middle eastern people different, and I think ALOT of us did and/or still do. I have flown 4 times since then and yes, I was even a bit nervous if there was a middle eastern person on my flight...was my thinking proper or correct? No...but that's what happens when things like 9/11 take place. My views on this have changed quite a bit since then, but I will be the first to admit that yes, I stereotyped big time...and quite honestly I think a lot of people did as well...

I could see the pilot's perspective if it was in the wake of a terroristic event, and the security we have now was not in place, but I really don't see the need for him stereotyping to that extent now. I am now of the thought that many shouldn't be persecuted for the crimes of a few....
                          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Relax guys, no I didn't read the whole thing and no I didn't see that those guys went through extra security checks within the airport, so y'all do have a point on that. What I was primarily saying is that I don't mind stereotyping in a security setting when it comes to something as important as airport security, even if it costs me in some way.

For starters, those willing to give up rights are in the minority. The majority are willing to bend over backwards to protect other's rights, whether it be illegal immigrants, muslims, etc.

To your point, am I right in interpreting your concern as basically "its a slippery slope?" I guess that could happen, but it's not like it's an all of nothing situation. For me, I'm willing to give up certain rights in certain situations, but not others. I don't think you should say "Well, if we give up some rights we might not have any if things get out of hand, so I won't give up any to begin with."
                            Protecting rights is what America is all about - or at least that is what we are supposed to be all about. Everyone is exactly like you though. They are willing to go through just a little bit more trouble to feel safe. Realistically, you're not safe. How hard would it be for a terrorist to blow up a lakers game? Surely there are thousands of people there. What about the Mall of America? Same thing. Are you going to start going through body scanners, probing, etc. to get into a lakers game? Are we going to allow the government to spy on us completely for that "safety" from terrorists?

Oh wait.. they already do. That's what the "patriot" act is for. Ironically named as it goes completely against your rights to privacy. Oh well, small price to pay to catch some terrorists, right? In the short run, sure.. In the long run, it probably won't stop at terrorists.

Fade, whats the reason you abandoned that train of thought. Is it because your rationale was wrong or are primarily concerned about the "rights" aspect of it and a fear that one day our rights will be all but gone?

It's a combination of a few things. Mainly I am afraid that our rights will be gone. If you look around you right now our freedoms are disappearing at a rapid rate. They are outlawing vitamins, telling children at schools they can't bring brown-bag lunches anymore, are tapping into phone lines, etc. If we keep allowing the government more and more power - they will take it at an alarming rate. People need to stand up and say they're tired of it. The government will say it is because of the "safety" of America...

I don't have a problem with people stereotyping muslims, jews, blacks, whites, christians, etc.. that really doesn't bother me at all because everyone has their own bias and most people just try to hide it. The problem I have is that people are willing to sacrifice freedom for safety. If you look at the words our founding fathers wrote, it's very obvious they warned us against nearly everything that is going on before. Sure they didn't have our technology, but history repeats itself in different ways - and these guys had studied history.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                            I know that after 9/11, I TOTALLY looked at middle eastern people different, and I think ALOT of us did and/or still do. I have flown 4 times since then and yes, I was even a bit nervous if there was a middle eastern person on my flight...was my thinking proper or correct? No...but that's what happens when things like 9/11 take place. My views on this have changed quite a bit since then, but I will be the first to admit that yes, I stereotyped big time...and quite honestly I think a lot of people did as well...

I could see the pilot's perspective if it was in the wake of a terroristic event, and the security we have now was not in place, but I really don't see the need for him stereotyping to that extent now. I am now of the thought that many shouldn't be persecuted for the crimes of a few....
                            Everyone looked at muslims and arabs differently after 9/11. Everyone got suckered into believing a lot of the propaganda as well. It's our jobs to look past the propaganda and see what's really going on.

www.316fit.com

Comment

I think the media has a lot to do with imprinting muslim hate into people, perhaps to justify the wars. You know how they say the media is the fourth branch of the government.

Fade said that all the terrorist have been muslim. That's simply not true, according the FBI statistics in this article: http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not...s-are-muslims/

Note that I am not Anti-America or anything. I'm just anti-racism and prejudice, and anti-war. I'm just saying you should look beyond Fox News when forming your opinion, because you surely won't see the truth there.
                              Last edited by Quadriceps; 05-08-2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X