How much does gettinng a tattoo affect lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does gettinng a tattoo affect lifting

Now, this isn't the deciding factor on this deciision, but if I got a tattoo, how long does the thing take to heal before i can lift, if at all. I am considering a full armband (a skyline motif around the bicep area) or a similar tattoo but across my upper back.
    I havetn gotten any tattos yet, and I don;t really trust sites that say its gonna be all ouchy-wouchy for a while, because i dont care if it hurts, just if its gonna fuck it up really bad or fuck me up really bad.
    Preferably guys whove actually gotten a tattoo and how quick you got back in nthe gym.

In high school I went to baseball practice the next day and I was fine. It was on my shoulder. Just bandage it up, wear loose clothing, and be careful.

EDIT: On second thought, if it's across your entire back or a half-sleeve, why not schedule it the weekend before an off-week?
    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by youngbb View Post
      Preferably guys whove actually gotten a tattoo and how quick you got back in nthe gym.
      Um... that afternoon! And drove in a stock car race the same night.
      Of course you can REALLY be different and not get one. That would make you very unique!
      If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

On a side note: I was in McDonalds and these young guys were in there wearing Afliction t-shirts, Tap Out hats on sideways, etc. They had these disks in their ears and I thought to myself "how thoughtful of them to provide targets!" :nuts:
        If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

As more than likely on of the most inked on the board let me tell you this, as long as you keep it moist and aren't pressing huge amounts of weight right against it, or rubbing it (especially with the bar) you will be fine.

Hell I've gotten all 12 of mine done and been fine to go workout or do PT the next day.

I would say use the back on some off time. Stick with the bicep for now. Especially for your first one. Also depending on how complex your design is, how much time your artist has and how well you tolerate being jabbed with a group of needles consistantly, you may need it to be two sessions. Factor this in before deciding on ink.

J
          "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it affecting gym time, at least anymore than a day or 2. And that should be worse case, like when I sleeved my arm, the elbow was swollen for a day or so, but otherwise most of the discomfort is like a sunburn. If you ever have been sunburned on your back then tried lying on a bench then you know what to expect.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Well said man.
              "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

don't mind if i jack this topic a lil... i'm on accutane now and my skin's been looking better for a while now even though i'm just 2-3 months into the treatment. i've always wanted to get a tattoo on my back in remembrance of my baby brother, but i was always worried because of what everyone told me about getting tats done with follicutis and acne... does anyone have any idea on this?

Comment

Alright, thanks guys, good to hear.

Originally posted by jmhester1956 View Post
                  On a side note: I was in McDonalds and these young guys were in there wearing Afliction t-shirts, Tap Out hats on sideways, etc. They had these disks in their ears and I thought to myself "how thoughtful of them to provide targets!" :nuts:
                  Haha, gauges? I think I can picture these exact people. Sometimes I wonder what UFC fighters think of their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhester1956 View Post
                    I friggin hate those things - I'm gonna chuckle the next time I see it lol!

Comment

If you workout to soon after getting a tattoo it can make some of the ink leave your skin..I don't know what it's called. If it's just a small arm band though probably a day or two. If it's a large fancy one I'd wait around a week.
                      Want to save 5% or 10% on your entire order at www.trueprotein.com
                      Use discount code JHN125

Come watch me progress in my 5/3/1 journal!

Comment

Hi youngbb,
                        You can lift the weights after 16 hours. But if the tattoo is hurting or itching you better to wait for a day and keep some simple exercises at home or in gym.
                        Training Utah

Comment

Follow the after-care instructions, and you should be fine. The main thing you want to avoid is premature scab removal from friction. You'll be in some discomfort, but should be able to get in adequate training.
                          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Working...
                          X