This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troponin View Post
    For the record....I couldn't agree more. I've even told my wife that if for some reason a top school made me an amazing offer for grad school....in solid state (or CMP for that matter), and NO other schools offered me anything, I would just not go to grad school. lol

I'd prefer to stay as theoretical as possible. But I'll be applying to programs soon and need some undergraduate research on my application....so I'll take anything that comes along. I just transfered to Western Michigan University and will only be there about a year, so I won't have much time to get to know professors and get research.

At this point, I'm not even sure I don't want to do mathematics. I want to do mathematical physics, but I'm right on the boarder between math and physics.....there are some Math departments with theoretical physics groups that look great....and there are some Physics departments with mathematical physics programs that look great.

If I had to pic a field, I suppose I'd like to do something in the cosmology/relativity/never get funding field. lol

I'll come to Tennessee to train you if you'll help me with GR...serious.
    Dude, check out Indiana University. They have a great joint program in math and physics. That's essentially my dream gig. Since you like the theoretical and mathematical stuff like me, don't discount theoretical high-energy physics. The mathematics is even more esoteric and abstract than in relativity, and it's one of the areas that needs the most work and research in it right now.

And yes, grab ANY UG research experiences you can get your hands on. It's so unbelievably valuable.
    Originally posted by marlon View Post
    Thanks for that PDF Dino-bird. I really liked seeing you work through that equation.

And now the Trop and Dino interaction is mind boggling.
    If you think that's mind-boggling, you should hear us talk about beer and titties.

Marlon what mathematics classes have you taken? If you've had vector calculus then I can start showing you all kinds of fun stuff.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

I'll come to Tennessee to train you if you'll help me with GR...serious.
      I'll tell you what, if you can free up some time after I send off all my grad school stuff, I will make a couple of lectures to give you if you will help me train for my PL meet. I need to break the TN state records in raw DL and SQ.
      kind of a douche

Comment

damn i wish i would have tried to get into grad school out of college. its been 7 years since i graduated and want to go back now. i just have no idea where to start. i was thinking of taking a few classes at a close by state school to brush up on math skills. maybe even get a job in the athletic department so i can take classes for free. any suggestions on where to start? i tried to contact the head of the physics department where i graduated but unfortunately for me he has since retired.
        "Your not gonna find a bang maid cause theres no such thing."
        "I already did...your mom....good bye.".

Comment

Originally posted by TommyKav View Post
          damn i wish i would have tried to get into grad school out of college. its been 7 years since i graduated and want to go back now. i just have no idea where to start. i was thinking of taking a few classes at a close by state school to brush up on math skills. maybe even get a job in the athletic department so i can take classes for free. any suggestions on where to start? i tried to contact the head of the physics department where i graduated but unfortunately for me he has since retired.
          Download a free copy of the physics GRE from ETS' web site (http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Physics.pdf) and see how many you can get right. If you can get a decent score (650+) then you can probably start applying now. If not, you might want to take some refresher courses. And never discount the power of self-study. If you can prove that you're ready for graduate study by doing well on the GRE, then you have a decent chance of getting a position somewhere.

Frankly if you haven't been doing any work to keep fresh on the material, then after 7 years chances are you will need to take some refresher classes of some sort.

I got absurdly lucky and landed a job at Vanderbilt University, so I get to take some physics classes for free next semester (yay classical, quantum, or E&M!). Even if I don't get into a program this year, I almost certainly will the next go-around.
          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
            I'll tell you what, if you can free up some time after I send off all my grad school stuff, I will make a couple of lectures to give you if you will help me train for my PL meet. I need to break the TN state records in raw DL and SQ.
            I don't have a single person on earth to talk Physics with....everything I've learned has been almost entirely self-taught...so the opportunity to talk to someone about physics would be fantastic. I can definitely free up time to get together.
            www.troponinnutrition.com
            Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com

Comment

I think I just got a boyfriend.
              kind of a douche

Comment

Dude, check out Indiana University. They have a great joint program in math and physics. That's essentially my dream gig. Since you like the theoretical and mathematical stuff like me, don't discount theoretical high-energy physics. The mathematics is even more esoteric and abstract than in relativity, and it's one of the areas that needs the most work and research in it right now.

And yes, grab ANY UG research experiences you can get your hands on. It's so unbelievably valuable.
                Yeah, Indiana is on my list for sure.
                Cornell would be my dream school.
                Columbia and Brown have Applied Mathematics programs for Theoretical physics that give me a nerd boner too.
                I'm sure there's no chance in hell that I'll get in at one of my dream programs, but I haven't started applying yet so I still amuse myself with the hope. lol

I've really liked Western Michigan University so far....the profs have been fantastic and encouraging, so I'll be applying there. The only program they have that I think I'd enjoy is Nuclear or maaayyybbbe Astronomy...but their top Astronomer is an observational spectroscopist. I'd love to do something in Cosmology, but I couldn't do experimental. I just want to spend my day doing mathematical shenanigans. lol
                My wife is working in the area and my kids are starting school in the area...it's going to be hard to uproot my family and move the kids away from the grandparents to study in another state.
                Not to mention, my wife is licensed in Michigan and would have to go through the process of getting a license in whatever state we end up in....so I'm doing my best to tell myself that WMU has something I'd be interested in. lol

www.protegenutrition.com

Comment

I think I just got a boyfriend.
                  lol.....I have a history of oiling up and posing in front of a crowd of people in a thong. I suppose that is the next logical step. lol

www.protegenutrition.com

Comment

Yeah, Indiana is on my list for sure.
                    Cornell would be my dream school.
                    Columbia and Brown have Applied Mathematics programs for Theoretical physics that give me a nerd boner too.
                    I'm sure there's no chance in hell that I'll get in at one of my dream programs, but I haven't started applying yet so I still amuse myself with the hope. lol

I've really liked Western Michigan University so far....the profs have been fantastic and encouraging, so I'll be applying there. The only program they have that I think I'd enjoy is Nuclear or maaayyybbbe Astronomy...but their top Astronomer is an observational spectroscopist. I'd love to do something in Cosmology, but I couldn't do experimental. I just want to spend my day doing mathematical shenanigans. lol
                    My wife is working in the area and my kids are starting school in the area...it's going to be hard to uproot my family and move the kids away from the grandparents to study in another state.
                    Not to mention, my wife is licensed in Michigan and would have to go through the process of getting a license in whatever state we end up in....so I'm doing my best to tell myself that WMU has something I'd be interested in. lol
                    The family thing is a hard problem to solve. I'm wrestling with that one also (albeit to a MUCH lesser degree). I would suggest trying for Vanderbilt for you to study and for your wife to work at except that Tennessee is a fucking cesspool of ignorance, misery, and shitty weather.

lol.....I have a history of oiling up and posing in front of a crowd of people in a thong. I suppose that is the next logical step. lol
                    Well, to be fair I have the same history, but it has nothing to do with bodybuilding. I mean, I had to pay for school somehow.
                    kind of a douche

Comment

I would suggest trying for Vanderbilt for you to study and for your wife to work at except that Tennessee is a fucking cesspool of ignorance, misery, and shitty weather.
                      I'm checking out Vanderbilt's catalogue right now. I can't find any real definite "pre-planned" schedule for grad students. Do they let you pick and choose your classes right off the bat?
                      The course list looks pretty cool...there is independent study every semester, they have GR & Cosmology, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Math Methods this fall; last spring, they had QFT and Particle Physics.
                      That's a pretty f'n sweet list of courses.

Do you have any other info about Vanderbilt that you could email me?

www.protegenutrition.com

Comment

I'm checking out Vanderbilt's catalogue right now. I can't find any real definite "pre-planned" schedule for grad students. Do they let you pick and choose your classes right off the bat?
                        The course list looks pretty cool...there is independent study every semester, they have GR & Cosmology, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Math Methods this fall; last spring, they had QFT and Particle Physics.
                        That's a pretty f'n sweet list of courses.

Do you have any other info about Vanderbilt that you could email me?
                        E-mail, yes. Post on the board, no. I will send you some personal experiences tonight. However, if your wife works in health care, Vandy is a FANTASTIC place to work. The benefits are absolutely phenomenal.
                        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by TommyKav View Post
                          i was thinking about this all night. it is a grim outcome. all of the energy in the universe will be uniformly distributed throughout the expance. but how will it interact with the different fields. they should not decay. if they are an intrinsic part of the fabric of the universe interactions of forces may continue. if interactions continue between energy and the 4 forces that would change smootheness of this final state. once it is no longer smoothe the interactions become more pronounced in the denser regions. which could begin a chain reaction and start the process all over again. all it should take is one tiny ripple.
                          Oh wow...just noticed this thread...a thread about astronomy and physics on a BB message board. Very cool. Do any of you guys post on space.com by any chance?

Tommy...this is the exact thought I've had too. It would help explain the apparent paradox of not having the great crunch presents. Another thought I had with this expands on the idea of the "branes". If the universe is one bubble within a vast expansion of "universes", and when our universe eventually expands into perfect uniformity, the broken up matter could eventually interact with another "bubble" of a universe or potentially the particles of another universe that has gone perfectly flat. Thus causing a disruption and either a collapse of our universe, or the potential that a whole new universe is created as matter is "mixed". This could also help to explain quantum physics and the paradox of random appearance of particles. What if those are the remnants of a perfectly smooth universe that has been ripped apart and what if our universe is already impacting a previously ripped apart universe causing the next one to be in the beginning stages of being created as we speak?

Comment

I am bumping this because I am taking the Physics GRE tomorrow and I need some questions to:
                            1) help me remember things about physics, and
                            2) distract me from having a panic attack about tomorrow
                            kind of a douche

Comment

good luck on your gre!

Comment

For the second question, I’ll take the latter half first: “How does gravity affect time?” It turns out that gravity makes time go MORE SLOWLY. Let’s say we have two astronauts in orbit around a very large star. The astronauts synchronize their clocks so that they read the same time (12:00 PM) and are running at the same speed. Then one of the astronauts travels right next to the star, so that he can feel its gravity very strongly. He stays there for a while, then travels back to where the second astronaut is. When they compare their clocks, let’s say the clock of the astronaut who was stationary reads 2:00 PM. The clock of the astronaut who was near the star will read a time that is BEFORE 2:00 PM. This is because the presence of gravity SLOWS DOWN TIME!

I have a wierd question for you about this...

Since gravity affects time, How exactly does NASA keep track of time? I mean in regard to things like sending rovers to Mars, even sending a shuttle to the moon or having men in the spacestation. As a shuttle leaves earth for instance, the gravity lessens, thereby speeding up time. It travels on its way to Jupiter. The farther the shuttle gets away from earth, the less gravity there is in space, therefore speeding up time even more. As it arrives at its Jupiter destination, the gravity increases, thereby causing time to slow down again. If an astronaut on the shuttle steps outside of the craft onto the surface of Jupiter to take a stroll, would the watch on his arm read the same time as the watch of somebody on earth? Or is the variation in gravity during the journey not enough to alter time? I have no idea why I need to know this... :-)

Great thread by the way! I just found it...
                                Last edited by Jeff Grant; 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM.
                                It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X