Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona virus

Ok, so this virus is dominating the news(at least Drudge report headlines). Maybe someone can educate me on why exactly, since the fatality rate is so low. I'm open to conspiracy theories!

Originally posted by doug1 View Post
    Ok, so this virus is dominating the news(at least Drudge report headlines). Maybe someone can educate me on why exactly, since the fatality rate is so low. I'm open to conspiracy theories!
    I'm curious, as well, but I am not fan of the conspiracy stuff. I just heard someone say this morning that it was created from HIV. WTF is wrong with people?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I personally think it is being over hyped based off the way our news cycle shoots for click bait type headlines. All media does this and right now its what people are interested in. I saw this morning on the news that 37% of people polled (no poll stats given) said they would not drink Corona beer for fear of the virus which is absurd based off the info known.

My wife hit me with questions about this as soon as I came in last night and I think the largest part of the fear right now is how little is truly known about it. The cdc doesn't know a timeline for how long the virus can live on objects an infected person came in contact with. Direct from cdc "Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads." I have heard some media outlets reporting a person can be infected up to 2 weeks and be spreading it without knowledge or symptoms. Is it true? Hell if I know but the cdc statement sure doesn't offer much confidence that they fully understand the transmission pathways so precautionary measures are very vague. Based off what I could find avail looking into it, if infected there is about 2% mortality rate (which is about 20x higher than the flu). Easy to assume that much of that 2% has underlying heath conditions that contribute but that is just speculation until more is known.

6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
      1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

People scoff at the 2-3% death rate - that doesn't sound like a lot. The issue is that this thing is highly contagious. Probably more so than anything we've seen. People also have a difficult time conceptualizing the numbers.

Now consider this, if your circle of acquaintances is 500 people (friends, co-workers, family, people you know at the gym), and 25% get it. That is 125 people. If 2-3% die, that's roughly 3 people you know that will die.

Expand that to the widescale level. There are 327 million people in the US. 25% infected would mean 2.45 million dead in the U.S. There hasn't been a catastrophe on that scale in our lifetimes.

There were 416,000 American Soldiers killed in WWII. This could potentially kill six times that. Consider that for a minute.

That's why this is serious and frightening.

With that said, a lot is still up in the air, but this is the biggest viral threat we have faced in quite some time.
        Last edited by bigp3; 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM.
        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Great points, everyone, thank you. Yeah, I don't want to sound indifferent or callous to those who have died, or are infected. I also understand that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
          Thanks again for the posts and taking the time.
          My wife just looked up, "how many people die from the flu each year?" answer...."CDC estimates that as many as 56,000 people die from the flu, or flu-like illness each year."
          Last edited by doug1; 02-28-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

A good explanation of why this is something to be concerned about:L
            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/p...ronavirus.html

Like bigp said, normal flu virii have fatality rates around .02%. This one is about 2-4%. And it is extremely contagious, and once you're above 30 you're in more danger of dying from it. That's the frightening thing about this particular virus: it is way more likely that otherwise healthy people could have serious and even fatal complications from it.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Uh oh! First death reported in US from this virus. Seattle WA, my wife is flying there this friday to visit our daughter and her husband who live just outside of Seattle. I better not catch it!! OH the irony of my first post.

Comment

People here in New Hampshire seen today, driving around wearing masks. A bit odd I guess, cautious. Smart maybe? I dont know.
                The masks are hard to get Im hearing...

Comment

• doug1
                  doug1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes on the masks, I hear record price gouging!

My company just released an internal document out of our China division and it was admittedly staggering. It was comparing the impact, GDP and otherwise, of Corona virus vs. SARS.

The net takeaway is that this is orders of magnitude (10x) more severe.

I'm not buying a surplus of bottled water and canned tuna yet but I'm also not laughing at those who are.

Comment

From what I've seen, I don't see it as an idle threat. I think it should be taken seriously until proven otherwise. I'm not slamming anyone by saying this but as much as I don't jump to freak-out status on most anything, I am taking this seriously.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

What's the big deal, you ask? It wouldn't be in a perfect world - a world where information is always correct and accurate. But we don't live in that world. As the "real" numbers show, the actual cases and deaths are off by a factor of at least 10x. But that's not the end of it, major disruptions are occurring. Have you tried to order raw powders for your stash lately? You can't. Nothing is being produced. Other essentials are about 2 weeks from major shortages - people take this for granted. It's only prudent to stock up - not panic. Be reasonable, but don't be an ostrich.

Comment

Originally posted by cgjedi View Post
                      Have you tried to order raw powders for your stash lately? You can't. Nothing is being produced.
                      I was thinking this exact thought the other day and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more air time. With the majority of UGL raws coming out of ground-zero, it would only make sense that there be some disruption to production. Hell, people in certain areas can't leave their houses let alone work at the production factories.

Comment

In kuwait they stopped all universities and schools for 2 weeks now until further notice, yea this is not like anything we have seen in a long time be safe people!!

Comment

it is a flu virus
                          I am living in china now and have been here for 15 years now.everybody take care of yourselves
                          most places are still closed here and if you go out you need to wear a face mask

Comment

More news from the inside......apparently there is an emerging threat of a general supplies shortage.

We're seeing significant runs on paper towels, toilet paper, hand soaps and other products as people begin stocking up for a potential quarantine. I'm in Arkansas and it's not too bad here but a lot of reports are coming in from other areas that store shelves for some categories are very low on inventory.

And to use that sweet ass emoji because by now you've heard the news from 1,000 of your closest friends on IG, the Arnold Classic expo is cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                            X