Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slide
    replied
    I watched half and went to bed...it was getting late..my wife told me how it ended...seemed ok, I guess..

-slide

Leave a comment:

• IM^
    replied
    Here I am again, reprising my role as official Intense Muscle horror movie scribe. Hopefully this will help the people who did not follow the movie closely first time around. Check this Reelview review out.

GOTHIKA

United States, 2003
    U.S. Release Date: 11/21/03 (wide)
    Running Length: 1:35
    MPAA Classification: R (Violence, gore, profanity, nudity)
    Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
    Cast: Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr, Charles S. Dutton, John Carroll Lynch, Bernard Hill, Penelope Cruz
    Director: Mathieu Kassovitz
    Producers: Susan Levin, Joel Silver, Robert Zemeckis
    Screenplay: Sebastian Gutierrez
    Cinematography: Matthew Libatique
    Music: John Ottman
    U.S. Distributor: Warner Brothers

Gothika is a train-wreck of a motion picture. It opens fine, even going so far as to generate a certain amount of momentum during the engaging first half. Then the wheels start coming off, one by one. The final 30 minutes represents a meltdown of almost unimaginable proportions, and, once the smoke has cleared, we're left sitting in the theater amidst the twisted, burnt wreckage of a plot that insults, betrays, and cheats every member of the audience. Stupidity to a degree can sometimes be forgiven. Stupidity to this degree can not and should not.

I will start out by admitting that ghost stories are notoriously difficult to get right. More often than not, they come across as cheesy and/or silly. For a while, it appears that director Mathieu Kassovitz overcomes this problem. The first 45-or-so minutes of Gothika are as effective as any scary movie I've seen in terms of atmosphere (the movie has two visual modes: dark and darker) and "boo!" moments. Kassovitz knows just how to move the camera to get us to jump. The problems start when the screenplay provides exposition about the apparitions. Suddenly, it's not scary any more - just ludicrous. And no amount of stylish cinematography can compensate for a screenplay that is irredeemably dumb.

Miranda Grey (Halle Berry) is a psychiatrist at a Connecticut hospital for the criminally insane. She is married to the hospital's director, Douglas Grey (Charles S. Dutton). One night, after a particularly trying session with a patient, Chloe (Penelope Cruz), who has visions of being raped by the devil, she is forced to make her way home in a driving rainstorm. Along the way, she nearly runs over a half-naked girl standing in the middle of the road. When she gets out of the car to investigate, something supernatural occurs. The next thing Miranda knows, she is a patient in the hospital and has been accused of brutally hacking to death her husband. Her doctor, Pete Graham (Robert Downey Jr.), is a former close friend and associate whose motives may be self-serving. And Miranda's supernatural visitations, which began on the night of the murder, are escalating in both frequency and intensity.

Aside from the ending not making any sense (both "in the moment" and when viewed in retrospect) due to plot holes, poor logic, and awful writing, it betrays our expectations. Gothika turns into a very silly murder mystery, complete with a "talking killer" (a bad guy who reveals his entire plan) and some cheesy special effects. The outside shots of the hospital during a thunderstorm look impressive, but the fire visuals are as artificial as the contrived resolution. It's easy enough to provide a list of movies that Gothika looks to for inspiration: The Shining, The Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, What Lies Beneath, and The Ring (to name a few). At least in terms of superficial scares, Gothika achieves its aim.

Halle Berry, who is unquestionably the movie's biggest "name" actor, spends most of the movie acting overwrought. It's an effective performance, but not a remarkable one. Berry does what the role requires of her; there are probably dozens of actresses who could have done as well, but most don't have an Oscar on their mantelpiece. Penelope Cruz uses this as an opportunity to try something unglamorous, although she doesn't have much screen time. Robert Downey Jr. is likewise given short shrift when it comes to a meaty part. Downey is capable of a lot more versatility that he is given a chance to show here. (See him in The Singing Detective if you doubt that statement.) Support comes from Charles S. Dutton and Bernard Hill, top-notch actors whose skills are equally wasted.

Kassovitz made an international splash with the French film La haine (Hate), but may be better known as the romantic match for Audrey Tatou in Amelie. Here, Kassovitz shows that he's a master of style and atmosphere, and one could argue that he does as much as can be done with an inferior script. Unfortunately, no number of "boo!" moments and interesting camera work can patch up a screenplay that is so fatally flawed. Gothika is handicapped by a B-movie conclusion to something that starts out with an A-level sense of suspense and mystery. There's nothing worse than watching an involving motion picture collapse into rubble before your eyes, and that's exactly what happens here. Like a train wreck, it's not a pretty sight.

Leave a comment:

• Anadrol
    replied
    I say she was possessed! when the girl touched her in the beginning...

and then the other "ghosts" was informed that she could help them to revenge their death, so that's why she see them j/k.. but maybe it's true.

One thing I hate with these movies is that there is ALWAYS a girl who is the ghost/killer.. just like in The ring.

Leave a comment:

• syphon
    replied
    Still no explanation from anyone. She killed her hubby, BUT, was she possessed?? She obviously hadn't been to the secret killing/sex place but she was led there. Did the dead girl lead her there?? As far as the ending....what, she can see dead people now? They come to her for help? Gimme the run down cause the more I thought about it the more I got confused.

Leave a comment:

• SEXYMAMA
    replied
    I freaking loved that movie.... I love scary freaky shit and it made me jump a few times.... not to many movies do that any more.... damn think I am gonna go buy it

Leave a comment:

• jaywooly
    replied
    Really, it was great huh? I may have to check it out, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• saturn
    replied
    That movie was great and not just because Halle Berry was in it.

Leave a comment:

• SuperSport
    replied
    Halle Berry, Halle Berry, Halle Berry....damn she is so fine!!

I can't watch Swordfish anymore.......lol.

Leave a comment:

• Syn
    replied
    Gotta see it still. Lovvvveeee Holly Berry.

My co-worker-cell-mate says it was really good. He thought it was predictable but there's a twist at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    I saw Galenika 5 times a week for about a year. I liked it every time I saw it.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• PUMPED
    replied
    didnt like it because the same plot has been done over and over before

Leave a comment:

• Anadrol
    replied
    I will inform you as soon as I've watched it

Leave a comment:

• syphon
    replied
    It did?? I watched it, and thought I understood it, then my wife started asking questions and I gotta admit, I'm confused as shit. So by all means, getsta 'splaining for me plz!!

Leave a comment:

• homonunculus
    replied
    Good Shit, Maynard... Seemed a tad graphic at the start for my tastes, but it all made sense at the end...

-R

Leave a comment:

• Anadrol
    started a topic Anyone seen Gothika??

Anyone seen Gothika??

I'm gonna see it now, right after my meal is done...
Working...
X