Anyone seen Gothika??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen Gothika??

I'm gonna see it now, right after my meal is done...

Good Shit, Maynard... Seemed a tad graphic at the start for my tastes, but it all made sense at the end...

-R
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

It did?? I watched it, and thought I understood it, then my wife started asking questions and I gotta admit, I'm confused as shit. So by all means, getsta 'splaining for me plz!!
      The Answer To Life's Problems Aren't Found at the Bottom of a Beer Bottle, They're on T.V.!!

Comment

I will inform you as soon as I've watched it

Comment

didnt like it because the same plot has been done over and over before

Comment

I saw Galenika 5 times a week for about a year. I liked it every time I saw it.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Gotta see it still. Lovvvveeee Holly Berry.

My co-worker-cell-mate says it was really good. He thought it was predictable but there's a twist at the end.
              Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
              Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
              www.TrueProtein.com
              *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

Halle Berry, Halle Berry, Halle Berry....damn she is so fine!!

I can't watch Swordfish anymore.......lol.
                [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

That movie was great and not just because Halle Berry was in it.
                  Any views or opinions expressed in this forum or in personal correspondences are purely for entertainment purposes and are obviously the product of a deeply troubled mind.

Have a nice day.
                  Saturn……

[email protected]

Please visit our Sponsor

Custom Nutrition Warehouse

[email protected]

Comment

Really, it was great huh? I may have to check it out, thanks.
                    Please tell your boobs to quit staring at my eyes

Comment

I freaking loved that movie.... I love scary freaky shit and it made me jump a few times.... not to many movies do that any more.... damn think I am gonna go buy it
                      [email protected]
                      [email protected]
                      [email protected]

www.reginamckinley.com

Comment

Still no explanation from anyone. She killed her hubby, BUT, was she possessed?? She obviously hadn't been to the secret killing/sex place but she was led there. Did the dead girl lead her there?? As far as the ending....what, she can see dead people now? They come to her for help? Gimme the run down cause the more I thought about it the more I got confused.
                        The Answer To Life's Problems Aren't Found at the Bottom of a Beer Bottle, They're on T.V.!!

Comment

I say she was possessed! when the girl touched her in the beginning...

and then the other "ghosts" was informed that she could help them to revenge their death, so that's why she see them j/k.. but maybe it's true.

One thing I hate with these movies is that there is ALWAYS a girl who is the ghost/killer.. just like in The ring.

Comment

Here I am again, reprising my role as official Intense Muscle horror movie scribe. Hopefully this will help the people who did not follow the movie closely first time around. Check this Reelview review out.

GOTHIKA

United States, 2003
                            U.S. Release Date: 11/21/03 (wide)
                            Running Length: 1:35
                            MPAA Classification: R (Violence, gore, profanity, nudity)
                            Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
                            Cast: Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr, Charles S. Dutton, John Carroll Lynch, Bernard Hill, Penelope Cruz
                            Director: Mathieu Kassovitz
                            Producers: Susan Levin, Joel Silver, Robert Zemeckis
                            Screenplay: Sebastian Gutierrez
                            Cinematography: Matthew Libatique
                            Music: John Ottman
                            U.S. Distributor: Warner Brothers

Gothika is a train-wreck of a motion picture. It opens fine, even going so far as to generate a certain amount of momentum during the engaging first half. Then the wheels start coming off, one by one. The final 30 minutes represents a meltdown of almost unimaginable proportions, and, once the smoke has cleared, we're left sitting in the theater amidst the twisted, burnt wreckage of a plot that insults, betrays, and cheats every member of the audience. Stupidity to a degree can sometimes be forgiven. Stupidity to this degree can not and should not.

I will start out by admitting that ghost stories are notoriously difficult to get right. More often than not, they come across as cheesy and/or silly. For a while, it appears that director Mathieu Kassovitz overcomes this problem. The first 45-or-so minutes of Gothika are as effective as any scary movie I've seen in terms of atmosphere (the movie has two visual modes: dark and darker) and "boo!" moments. Kassovitz knows just how to move the camera to get us to jump. The problems start when the screenplay provides exposition about the apparitions. Suddenly, it's not scary any more - just ludicrous. And no amount of stylish cinematography can compensate for a screenplay that is irredeemably dumb.

Miranda Grey (Halle Berry) is a psychiatrist at a Connecticut hospital for the criminally insane. She is married to the hospital's director, Douglas Grey (Charles S. Dutton). One night, after a particularly trying session with a patient, Chloe (Penelope Cruz), who has visions of being raped by the devil, she is forced to make her way home in a driving rainstorm. Along the way, she nearly runs over a half-naked girl standing in the middle of the road. When she gets out of the car to investigate, something supernatural occurs. The next thing Miranda knows, she is a patient in the hospital and has been accused of brutally hacking to death her husband. Her doctor, Pete Graham (Robert Downey Jr.), is a former close friend and associate whose motives may be self-serving. And Miranda's supernatural visitations, which began on the night of the murder, are escalating in both frequency and intensity.

Aside from the ending not making any sense (both "in the moment" and when viewed in retrospect) due to plot holes, poor logic, and awful writing, it betrays our expectations. Gothika turns into a very silly murder mystery, complete with a "talking killer" (a bad guy who reveals his entire plan) and some cheesy special effects. The outside shots of the hospital during a thunderstorm look impressive, but the fire visuals are as artificial as the contrived resolution. It's easy enough to provide a list of movies that Gothika looks to for inspiration: The Shining, The Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, What Lies Beneath, and The Ring (to name a few). At least in terms of superficial scares, Gothika achieves its aim.

Halle Berry, who is unquestionably the movie's biggest "name" actor, spends most of the movie acting overwrought. It's an effective performance, but not a remarkable one. Berry does what the role requires of her; there are probably dozens of actresses who could have done as well, but most don't have an Oscar on their mantelpiece. Penelope Cruz uses this as an opportunity to try something unglamorous, although she doesn't have much screen time. Robert Downey Jr. is likewise given short shrift when it comes to a meaty part. Downey is capable of a lot more versatility that he is given a chance to show here. (See him in The Singing Detective if you doubt that statement.) Support comes from Charles S. Dutton and Bernard Hill, top-notch actors whose skills are equally wasted.

Kassovitz made an international splash with the French film La haine (Hate), but may be better known as the romantic match for Audrey Tatou in Amelie. Here, Kassovitz shows that he's a master of style and atmosphere, and one could argue that he does as much as can be done with an inferior script. Unfortunately, no number of "boo!" moments and interesting camera work can patch up a screenplay that is so fatally flawed. Gothika is handicapped by a B-movie conclusion to something that starts out with an A-level sense of suspense and mystery. There's nothing worse than watching an involving motion picture collapse into rubble before your eyes, and that's exactly what happens here. Like a train wreck, it's not a pretty sight.

Comment

I watched half and went to bed...it was getting late..my wife told me how it ended...seemed ok, I guess..

-slide
                              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Working...
                              X