Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this REALLY a sport?

I was just thinking...

Is Bodybuilding really a sport? I now no other "sport" that is so "all comsuming" of its athletes. No sport where one little screw up can cost you 1. the contest 2. your life or your health.

It (BB'ing) realy is a hard thing to describe if you tink about it.

It's more of a religion/ culture/ personal obession than a sport. The only thing that is sport- like is the occassional show and the competition that happens there.
    Much like a dog show. years of dedication effort commitment sacrafice and hard work for an event that really isnt what we are all about, it just offers us a way to share it with others. SO.. is it really a SPORT?

Man Im thinking too much...... never mind
    SweatMachine
    (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

SM, that was very well said big man. I think I will have to agree whole heartedly
    "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

It's a lifestyle. It's a sport in terms of training and dedication. To me bodybuilding lifestyle take more self displine and dedication than any other "sport". Any exesteme sport has risks and may not be "healthy" in long term.

Comment

I think I know where this thought came from, Sweaty, b/c it runs through my mind every time I use that term.

Webster's first definition of sport (n) is:
        1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

I would say that bodybuilding is a "physical activity" that brings about instant gratification ("pleasure"), even in a psychobiological sense (endorphins) during training, satisfaction when monitoring progress, intellectual stimulus when planning training, diet, supplements, etc., and extreme delayed gratication if one reaches a physique goal a/o competes.

I would say that BB'ing is a sport that is also an institution (see below). Given that it's been around for a few decades now, and the biological tendency to favor fit, strong, lean physiques seems strong enough in most societies, I think that BB'ing will flourish, albeit not neccessarily in the competitive, "hard core" form, for quite some time (as perhaps it has). It therefore seems "significant," as well as a "practice," which implies that it involves activity that is done repeatedly.

From Webster's:

Main Entry: in·sti·tu·tion
        2 a : a significant practice, relationship, or organization in a society or culture <the institution of marriage>; also : something or someone firmly associated with a place or thing <she has become an institution in the theater>

A question that remains is what *exactly* is bodybuilding. Does it require the use of external resistance? What kind of exercise regimen are bodybuilding training regimens and what aren't.

Now I'm thinking too much - b/c it really doesn't matter. I think we all know who's a bodybuilder and who's not.

What do YOU (not just you, Sweaty ) think makes a "true" bodybuilder?...

-Randy
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I personally think to be considered a BBer in the simplest form, it requires a person that desires a metamorphisis of his muscular appearance. One who wishing to add muscle mass to particular areas to fufill a percieved "perfect ratio" or symetry of his total body structure, and wanting to achieve a certain level of leaness that allows for some degree of definition of that muscle mass. Also one that in combination with the foremention , seeks the understanding of how the body respondes to different stimili and the knowledge of the significants of nutrition in the process of muscular hypertrophy and the reduction of bodyfat.

Just because you lift weights and wear a tank top around town, doesnt mean your a bodybuilder. I feel theres a higher requirement to be labled "BBer" by bodybuilders, than by the general populas. And BBers ARE your peers, if you really ARE a BBer....

So I guess to sumize this to its most condensed form and lowest common denominator..

...IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE...

...sometimes Im a god damned genius...
          SweatMachine

Comment

Randy and Sweat....I get your drift on all of this. It really is in the mind of the beholder TBH.

At the same token....I have competed in many sports as have many others here. I have never competed in BBing-but there is no doubt that BBing takes more sacrifice, determination and matbe intelligence than any other sport I know of.
            How many people/athletes can honestly go 12-15 weeks on a competitive BBers precontest diet?? That is sacrifice and will power. Hell, I can't do it for 3 days!
            BBing has so much more structure in the months leading up to a show. Calorie counting, water manipulation, supplement scheduling.....other sports don't even compare IMO.

You guys and girls that compete.....damn, my hat is off to ya!
            [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
            Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

The "nature" of bodybuilding is sport in than there is fierce competition with yourself. However, in the end it is nothing more than a vane, beauty pageant.

I hate to say this but this is truly how I feel.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

To add to Skips comment:

This "vane beauty pageant" is only truely appreciated by those of us that participate in it. The general public is somewhat appauled and doesnt understand ANY of it. Wit

I love this shit. But I hate trying to explain it to someone.
                SweatMachine

Comment

I can't count how many times people (mostly women) have said to me "Ick, I hate all those veins and stuff popping out." Or 'too much muscle' and similar things that I can't seem to remember at the moment.
                  Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
                  Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
                  www.TrueProtein.com
                  *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

I know whatcha mean KRL , but I like my women big, hard and veiny....
                    SweatMachine

Comment

Working...
                    X