No announcement yet.

Acetone for Extra Gas Mileage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to take this moment to say that I'm not against acetone. I would NOT run it in my car by itself.

Here is the Marvel Mystery Oil: http://www.autobarn.net/chmm013.html Weird name, good product. Can be used in oil or gas. In this case it would be good to run it in the gas along with Acetone.

We frequently use Toluene and Xylene and here is how we mix it up:

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
    25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
    3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
    This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Now, this is for octane booster, but it still deals with adding in a solvent to the gas mixture.

IMHO, NOTHING beats a properly tuned vehicle for gas mileage. My car could stomp a mudhole in a Corvette or Viper but still gets 22mpg...and I'm heavy footed! Proper tire pressure makes a HUGE difference too.
    Last edited by Crimson Ghost; 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM.
    COLORADO NPC CONTEST SCHEDULE, RESULTS AND PICTURES
    www.jefftaylor.com

Comment

Future here's a big thread about acetone in Diesel engines you might be interested in. Alot of it will carry over to gas engines.

TheDieselStop.com

The effects of acetone on o-rings and fuel lines makes this a rather expensive test. The injectors in my diesel run about $1500-$3000 a set. I better save alot of fuel to pay for that. Granted the concentration is low for what you plan to do, but at the same time if it's low enough to not hurt anything is it high enough to have any benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Ghost

Here is the Marvel Mystery Oil: http://www.autobarn.net/chmm013.html Weird name, good product. Can be used in oil or gas. In this case it would be good to run it in the gas along with Acetone.
        gas mixture.
        Pretty good top cylinder lube. I can remember pop running some good Bardahl lube in the fuel decades back. Of course, he was a little biased, living 50 feet from the manufacturing plant (used to get a kick out of the piston Bardahl hydro boat they used to have out front, but that's a whole different story).

Yeah, he also used the moth ball stunt in the fuel. Used to put it in a sock or something and hang it down the filler neck. I think back then they were a purer form of nitromethylene. I'll still use a little Marvel in the street/strip machine every once in a while though. The new heads have the hardened seats, so it's more for ring lube than anything else.

Comment

Working...
        X