Lifting and Basketball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting and Basketball.

I didn't see much mentioned in the intro post about basketball training but I'm assuming y'all can help. I love both lifting and bball and have yet to find a real good balance between the two. Lately, I've been doing DC and love it, but I'm sore as all hell on it and miss playing ball, so I'm thinking about dropping DC because a) I'm not a bodybuilder and while in a sick way I enjoy DC, it's not the best choice for me and b) recovery while doing DC and playing bball is gonna be terrible and I'll likely burn out. I'm gaining strength on the routine consistently but practically speaking, it's just not for someone like me. The eating requirements are insane and I just don't have it in me.

On the basketball front, I'm not a pro or anything, but I play in an annual league as well as pickup, so when I'm actually playing it's ~ 3/week. What is your approach when you're training guys with basketball? If it helps, my combined goals are as follows: Physique-wise, my goal is to be 195-200lb at 7-8%BF, this morning I weighed in at 188 @10-12% BF, so I'm not THAT far off. I'm 5"8, btw. Lifting-wise I want to be able to put up 315 bench/ 405 squat/ 5 wheel trap-bar dead. I'm not that far off that total right now. My estimated 1RMs are 265/400/495. I'm gonna try out some maxes as soon as I finish up this round of my current DC blast, which I'm pretty sure will be my last. Those estimated 1RM's were calculated here, and I don't know how accurate they are but I'll find out soon enough. Basketball-wise, I'd like to improve athletically AMAP but my deep-down goal is to maybe dunk one day, or get as close as possible.

****BTW, if this type of information is something that I need to pay for, I understand. If not, any advice on putting together a routine that could help me on the way to both of those goals would be greatly appreciated!!
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

I have 3 questions for you:

1) do you play basketball year round?

2) is basketball or your lifting goals more important?

3) why did you decide to play basketball at 5'8" :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Cook View Post
      1) do you play basketball year round?
      2) is basketball or your lifting goals more important?
      - I would like to play year round, and since I was 19 I have, but I can put it on the backburner and do it just 1/week while focusing more on lifting to get to my physique and strength goals. Since I started DC a few months back, I've only played twice, and that was just at a friends house on his in-home court; just games of 32. Over that time I've been super-anxious to get back on the court, competition is fucking awesome and I miss it. Once I accomplish my lifting goals I have no problem simply maintaining in both areas while hooping as much as I can. At least I think I'd be happy doing just that. The caveat being that training-wise, I'd still try and improve on the exercises that would increase my vertical.

3) why did you decide to play basketball at 5'8" :P
      -Maannn, you have no clue how much I wish I was taller. I'm pretty quick, have good handles and a good game for a small guard, but I'm a super physical player and wish I could be a big, old-school post man. I take defenders my size down on the blocks, but its nothing like being a big, powerful guy who can just own guys down low.
      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

its tough when you want 2 goals at the same time - that's like saying you want a muscle car that has huge manballs and can run a 1/4 mile in under 10 but you want 50mpg.

Most athletes run offseason/inseason training programs, and those reflect the goals of that particular season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Cook View Post
          its tough when you want 2 goals at the same time - that's like saying you want a muscle car that has huge manballs and can run a 1/4 mile in under 10 but you want 50mpg.

Most athletes run offseason/inseason training programs, and those reflect the goals of that particular season.
          Is playing once a week while training for my physique and strength goals too much? I know that most athletes run offseason/inseason training programs, but those athletes typically do much more athletically than I would be doing, playing just once a week.

So what I'm getting at is this question: Can I recomp my way to a 7-8% 195 lb weight from a 10-11% 187lb weight while slowly adding strength and a little height to my vertical while playing once per week. I don't view any of those, in and of themselves, as large goals, just smaller ones that I'd try and reach simultaneously, kind of like a jack-of-all trades kind of thing. I'm not trying to get hooge or crazy strong, just incrementally better in those areas while implementing exercises for my vert while getting in one good run of ball per week.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
            Is playing once a week while training for my physique and strength goals too much? I know that most athletes run offseason/inseason training programs, but those athletes typically do much more athletically than I would be doing, playing just once a week.

So what I'm getting at is this question: Can I recomp my way to a 7-8% 195 lb weight from a 10-11% 187lb weight while slowly adding strength and a little height to my vertical while playing once per week. I don't view any of those, in and of themselves, as large goals, just smaller ones that I'd try and reach simultaneously, kind of like a jack-of-all trades kind of thing. I'm not trying to get hooge or crazy strong, just incrementally better in those areas while implementing exercises for my vert while getting in one good run of ball per week.
            Jay, sorry to jump in but it seems like an easy question and I am bored. I will keep my mouth shut if you tell me too in the future.

It seems as if his goals are to 1) get to 195 at 7-8% bf 2) add strength to something 3) add inches to his vertical and 4) play basketball once per week

From the shit I have read, the answer would be: yes, you can attain those 4 things. Athletes do 3x that amount of basketball per week and make those gains.

and being strong, jumping high, while being lean, isn't a jack of all trades. That's called being an athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbnEROO1FQ

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post
              Jay, sorry to jump in but it seems like an easy question and I am bored. I will keep my mouth shut if you tell me too in the future.

It seems as if his goals are to 1) get to 195 at 7-8% bf 2) add strength to something 3) add inches to his vertical and 4) play basketball once per week

From the shit I have read, the answer would be: yes, you can attain those 4 things. Athletes do 3x that amount of basketball per week and make those gains.

and being strong, jumping high, while being lean, isn't a jack of all trades. That's called being an athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbnEROO1FQ
              That's a damn good summation of what I was saying, thanks. All I'd like is some instruction on the best way to reach those goals. I know that a lot of basketball players lose some strength and even a little size throughout the course of a rigorous season, but I'm not in that situation. All I would look to do is get in a game or two a week.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

If you have strength goals and basketball is a second goal, address the strength goals and don't fret if your basketball game slips a bit. If you want to be good at basketball then tone back on the strength training and focus on bball.

you can't have it all but if you prioritize you should be fine

Comment

Working...
                X