Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 06-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Dan
Bantamweight Member

maltodextrin worse than table sugar?

just pulled up an old (opinion?) post on a next message board. i'm off to work for now but will look into it more later. here's the post:

Question: A lot of meal replacements and sports bars contain something called maltodextrin. Is this just a food additive? Is it harmless? Should I be concerned?

Answer: Maltodextrin, also known as glucose polymers, is the main carbohydrate source used in meal replacement drinks, carbohydrate drinks, and sports nutrition bars. Thus, it is not a food additive but a macronutrient ingredient that is similar to sugar. It is nontoxic and there is no need for immediate concern. However, you asked if it is harmless and if you should be concerned.

The answer is a resounding, “YES”! I believe regular consumption of maltodextrin to be one of the worst things you can do for your long-term health and fitness goals. Let me explain. As its alternate name describes, maltodextrin is nothing more than glucose polymers or chains of glucose linked to one another. When you ingest this carbohydrate, the bonds holding the glucose molecules together are degraded and glucose is rapidly liberated into the blood stream. Although maltodextrin is called a complex carbohydrate, it reacts in the body like a simple sugar.

Many tests have shown that maltodextrin has the highest glycemic index of any carbohydrate—anywhere between 140-150! To put things in perspective, sucrose (table sugar) has a glycemic index of about 80 and glucose/dextrose has a glycemic index of 100. As you can see, maltodextrin is 80% worse for you than sucrose and 40% as bad as dextrose! The reason most sugars are considered detrimental to your health is due to their high glycemic index, which measures how rapidly a carbohydrate food is digested (metabolized) into glucose and how much it causes the blood sugar (glucose) to rise. The higher the number on the index, the faster the carbohydrate is metabolized and the higher the rise in blood sugar.

The problem occurs with how your body handles this rise in blood sugar. In order to utilize the sugar and lower its concentration in the blood, your body’s pancreas will secrete insulin. A high glycemic index food will cause blood sugar to rise and fall rapidly. This, in turn, causes your pancreas to release a surge of insulin. The problem is that the amount of insulin secreted in these situations is too much for the job…overcompensation is achieved. Indeed, the insulin works but it works too well and the blood glucose levels drop below normal, which causes a condition known as hypoglycemia. Obviously, this entire situation is bad. High insulin levels increase lipogenic enzymes that will ultimately make you soft and fat.

Hypoglycemia makes you lethargic, weak, and hungry and is extremely detrimental to overall health and well-being. Ideally, you should be eating carbohydrates that are metabolized slowly and cause a steady, even amount of insulin to be released over time. This will keep fat producing enzymes to a minimum and will prevent you from becoming ravenous from hypoglycemia.

With maltodextrin having the highest glycemic index of any carbohydrate, I adamantly recommend people to stay away from this detrimental carbohydrate. Practically, this means to stop using meal replacement powders (as ALL of them use maltodextrin at this time) as well as most sports nutrition bars. An interesting note is the negative feeling most people have about weight gain powders. What they don’t realize is that the meal replacement powders currently on the market are basically weight gainers placed into individual pouches.

Both use maltodextrin for their carbohydrate source and both contain ample amounts of protein…AND both are detrimental to your overall health and fitness goals. Some proponents of maltodextrin as well as most of the supplement industry will mention that maltodextrin mixed with other macronutrients is ok because the glycemic index is evened out. This is true to an extent but several studies have shown that maltodextrin as part of a “balanced diet” still causes insulin resistance as well as greatly increased fat stores.

Most of the industry is concerned with the bottom line and not truly concerned with the consumer’s health. Maltodextrin is extremely cheap and readily available and they have convinced consumers that it is a complex carbohydrate that is better for them than sugar. On the contrary, we have seen today that sugar is much better for you than maltodextrin. What is the answer? Up until now, there really hasn’t been a cheap carbohydrate source that is suitable for instant meal replacement products and which is healthy and promotes fitness. Fortunately, recent technological advances have produced several carbohydrates that are ideal for this purpose. I will update you on these in the near future. Up until then, stay away from maltodextrin!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Dan
Bantamweight Member

Here's the second part:

"Question: I don’t think you know what your are talking about. You are the only one who says that maltodextrin is bad for you. Everyone that I know consumes large amounts of this complex carb. and feels just fine. Plus, I looked through all of my magazines and they all support the consumption of maltodextrin. What’s your problem, man! Get a life and learn a little before you spout off.

Answer: Hmmm…how do I go about answering this? Well, I agree with you that it is used in a ton of products on the market. I also agree that every magazine vastly supports its use. However, and this is a big however, maltodextrin is seriously harmful to consume. I am sorry to say that everyone else doing it doesn’t make it necessarily right or good for you. All of the magazines (and the supplement companies that own them) have a vested interest in hyping and selling you things that are dirt cheap and convenient. In this case it is maltodextrin. Technically, maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, but it behaves much like (actually worse than) a simple sugar. I wish it wasn’t true but maltodextrin is 80% worse than sucrose or table sugar. I have counseled many fitness competitors who were consuming 2-3 meal replacements per day and had subcutaneous fat stores that they just couldn’t get rid of. Basically, these people were desperate. As soon as I reviewed their diet, I knew what the culprit was. They were consuming a large portion of their calories as maltodextrin which was spiking their sugar and insulin levels. The insulin was activating fat-increasing enzymes which were making them “fat”. In fact, another name for subcutaneous fat is insulin fat.

Many times I take the “road less traveled”. While my colleagues and the rest of the industry are saying one thing, I will voice something different…something I believe in…something that is the truth. In this case, there is plenty of evidence to implicate maltodextrin as a product to stay away from. Look on the back of your meal replacement, sports bar, or any other macronutrient product and look for the words maltodextrin. Even if the product is sugar free, if it contains maltodextrin, it is a terrible product. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!

Lastly, I want to comment that fructose is another carbohydrate to stay away from. Although it has a low glycemic index, it initiates a host of other biological processes that are very unhealthy and which will make you look fat and out of shape. I will be doing a full-length article on these carbohydrates in the near future."
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Shawn "Future" Bellon
Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011

MALTRIN® Maltodextrins and Corn Syrup Solids

What is a maltodextrin?

* MALTRIN® maltodextrins are easily digestible carbohydrates made from natural corn starch. The starch is cooked, and then acid and/or enzymes are used to break the starch into smaller polymers (a process similar to that used by the body to digest carbohydrate).
* MALTRIN® maltodextrins are generally sold as dried powders.
* MALTRIN® maltodextrins are polymers of dextrose (sometimes labeled "glucose polymers").
* MALTRIN® maltodextrins do not contain significant quantities of protein, fat or fiber.
* MALTRIN® maltodextrins are not produced from and do not contain malt products.
* Corn-based maltodextrins are safe for patients with celiac disease since they do not contain proteins from wheat, barley, oats or rye.
* MALTRIN® maltodextrins are not known to contain MSG.
* Diabetics should follow the advice of their physicians. MALTRIN® maltodextrin’s glycemic index should be considered metabolically equivalent to glucose (dextrose).

The finished product…

* Is easily digestible
* Is a convenient source of energy
* Contains approximately 4 calories per gram
* Is cold-water soluble
* Has low or no sweetness
* Helps in producing many liquid and dried nutritional products

MALTRIN® maltodextrins and corn syrup solids are each mixtures of glucose polymers produced by the controlled depolymerization of corn starch. They are most often categorized by dextrose equivalence (DE). DE is a measure of reducing power compared to a dextrose standard of 100. The higher the DE, the greater the extent of starch depolymerization, resulting in a smaller average polymer size.

MALTRIN® maltodextrins are defined by the FDA as products having a DE less than 20. They are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food ingredients. Maltodextrins are excellent solids builders for standard and low-fat products. They are effective spray-drying aids for flavors, fruit juices, and other hard-to-dry products. They also are easily digestible carbohydrates for nutritional beverages.

MALTRIN® corn syrup solids are defined by the FDA as dried glucose syrup with a DE of 20 or higher. They are also considered a GRAS ingredient. Corn syrup solids have moderate sweetness and low viscosity. They are used to build solids in meat and dairy products, as a nutrition source in infant formulas, and as a drying aid for spray-dried fats.

MALTRIN QD® maltodextrins and MALTRIN QD® corn syrup solids are both quick-dispersing forms of the standard MALTRIN® products. These products are produced by an agglomeration process that increases particle size and lowers bulk density compared to standard products. They are easily dispersed into water or other aqueous-based systems and are commonly used in consumer products such as dry mixes.
#1 masters raw 275 powerlifter regardless of federation according to Powerliftingwatch
Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
code SHB747...or gremlins will eat your face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shawn "Future" Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Shawn "Future" Bellon
Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/dextrose.htm
#1 masters raw 275 powerlifter regardless of federation according to Powerliftingwatch
Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Use
code SHB747...or gremlins will eat your face.

Shawn "Future" Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote