Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Jay
Overanalyze Everything

Curious,Can you do a reverse tricep press on a bench press machine?

As it says in the title,is this possible.I have a smith machine at my gym,but I am curious at to rather or not this is a good exercise option(reverse press on a machine)

The only thing bad about "most" bench press machines is that they move in an upward fashion,rather than a straight fashion like a smith would.But still it seems like if you can do a bench press on these,than a reverse press would be possible.

Any opinions?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Egill
DC Q & A Member

firstly I would think that the handles would need to be in a straight line (like smythe), many of those bench press machines have angled handles. and also it would probably not work unless the handles are in a fixed position (like smythe), i.e. do not move invards during the pushing like many bench press machines do. also I think it would work better if the angle of the machine is somewhere close to flat as opposed to incline. and if the bench press machine moves in a upward fashion (most bp machines do) then it might not feel as good as if it moves in a straight line.

so IMO it depends on the machine whether you can do rev grip bench on a machine or not,... if it works well on some machine for you then I see no reason not to do it,.. just try it out and see how it feels.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693
Egill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Shawn "Future" Bellon
Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
As it says in the title,is this possible.I have a smith machine at my gym,but I am curious at to rather or not this is a good exercise option(reverse press on a machine)

The only thing bad about "most" bench press machines is that they move in an upward fashion,rather than a straight fashion like a smith would.But still it seems like if you can do a bench press on these,than a reverse press would be possible.

Any opinions?
MAchines vary. Try it and see.
#1 masters raw 275 powerlifter regardless of federation according to Powerliftingwatch
Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
code SHB747...or gremlins will eat your face.

Shawn "Future" Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
youi09
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future
MAchines vary. Try it and see.
exactly, there is such an easy answer to 99% of the questions asked on this board.

try it, if u like it, use it! push or pull rest eat sleep get stronger, who cares if ur throwing babies with 10lb ankle straps across a hill, beat the pr next time ...(joking of course)..

its really that simple.
youi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Shawn "Future" Bellon
Intense Muscle Vet/ISOM winner November 2011

That's what I do...try that is.
#1 masters raw 275 powerlifter regardless of federation according to Powerliftingwatch
Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Use
code SHB747...or gremlins will eat your face.

Shawn "Future" Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
hyp3r3xt3nsion
Bantamweight Member

but......why? just do it in the powerrack and start from out of the hole to build even more explosive power as you train it.
hyp3r3xt3nsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
In-Human
IM Veteran Member

I agree with Future, give it a go and see what happens, you can do RGBP on Flat Bench, DB, Inclines, Cage, Smythe hell just about anything, I even have done them on Hammer chest machines...

Highest quality protein at the lowest price...
In-Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
Jay
Overanalyze Everything

I will definantly give it a try.Just wanted to make sure it did not warrant a title of ineffective or dangerous.

And to Hyp.,I wish I had a power rack at my gym,but I do not.

Thanks everyone.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
stormshadow
Bantamweight Member

I use a seated bench press machine for reverse tricep press. I do one arm at a time.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote