Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Female Forums > Female Training and Nutrition Forum > Women's Bodybuilding, Bikini, Figure & Fitness Competition

Women's Bodybuilding, Bikini, Figure & Fitness Competition Discuss female bodybuilding, women’s fitness, women’s figure competitions and women's bikini competitions.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
starlite9

Great scale idea--Tracks progress, not weight

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate doing my weigh ins. I hate that stupid number on the scale. It doesn't matter that I KNOW that my weight can fluctuate from day to day depending on how much water I'm holding, how much salt I had, etc. etc. I despise the scale. If it gives me a number I want, I'm ecstatic. If it gives me a number I don't like, I'm depressed for the rest of the day. I don't even let the doctor weigh me when I'm getting a check up.

But I know weighing in is an important part of tracking progress. No matter how much I hate it.

Anyway I was browsing Groupon today and they had a deal on something called the Zero Scale and all it does is track how much weight you gained or lost. It doesn't actually tell you what you weigh (except the first time you get on so it knows where to start). I saw that and I thought to myself, damn why didn't I think of that! What a great idea! If I wasn't so paranoid about switching scales in the middle of my training program, I might just get one.

What do you ladies think? Is that something you would use or do you think it's a silly idea?
starlite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

I think it's just another number you'd tie your progress to even though it doesn't give total weight. You'd simply shift your thinking to a different numerical value to evaluate progress.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
starlite9

True, but instead of dealing with the "big" number you can focus instead on the smaller gains/losses. I know I'd feel better if at each weigh in I just saw "-3" or "-1" vs. seeing my total weight and thinking how much more I had to lose.

I guess for me, it would just make it an easier pill to swallow, so to speak.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

I think that's because you're used to it. If you simply started looking for the "minus" number, you'd eventually have the same mindset...at least I would. YMMV.

However, if it's a tool that will switch things up enough to get/keep you going, then by god it's a good tool. I might consider one if it allows switching modes from progress to total.

I'd buy one now if it fed me booze.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
starlite9

I do appreciate tools that help me gauge my progress. I'm a big fan of the calorie count watches that track your calories burned for the workout and cumulatively for the week. I know weight loss isn't as linear as that, but it helps me to have a visual reference for my progress. Numbers can totally help focus your goals, but my problem is with that damn scale sitting under my couch ready to piss me off.

I think this Zero Scale does switch back and forth between just showing progress and showing total weight. It would be silly if it didn't show total weight, right? I'd be interested to know if anyone here has used it. I don't know how new of a product it is, but it's new to me!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I do appreciate tools that help me gauge my progress. I'm a big fan of the calorie count watches that track your calories burned for the workout and cumulatively for the week. I know weight loss isn't as linear as that, but it helps me to have a visual reference for my progress. Numbers can totally help focus your goals, but my problem is with that damn scale sitting under my couch ready to piss me off.

I think this Zero Scale does switch back and forth between just showing progress and showing total weight. It would be silly if it didn't show total weight, right? I'd be interested to know if anyone here has used it. I don't know how new of a product it is, but it's new to me!
Get one and review that shit!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
starlite9

Lol! Looks like I'll have to!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
homonunculus
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

Starlite,

To address your original post, you might consider why you have a psychological problem with a number and whether focusing on another number is really the best approach, given your goals.

Several ideas here:

-Do you have some kind of "hang-up" with your bodyweight and you're trying to work around, and, if so, would it be best to address that hang-up first before trying to cover it up with using another number. (You might just end up doing the math in your head anyway... I didn't want to say that, but I highly suspect you would so I thought I'd point it out if it would save you the cash on the scale.)

-Would it be best to just use the mirror, if you goal is really appearance based anyway?...

-Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's
homonunculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
starlite9

I've had body image issues for years and I'm still working through it. At least now I'm at the point where I know much more about how my body works, nutrition and fitness so that I can rationalize with my inner demons regarding the scale number. I know that body composition is much more important than just scale weight, but it still doesn't stop my heart from pounding when I step on for my weigh ins.

Quote:
-Do you have some kind of "hang-up" with your bodyweight and you're trying to work around, and, if so, would it be best to address that hang-up first before trying to cover it up with using another number. (You might just end up doing the math in your head anyway... I didn't want to say that, but I highly suspect you would so I thought I'd point it out if it would save you the cash on the scale.)
I wasn't thinking that this scale would solve my issues with scales, but it might be better psychologically for me to only see the gains/losses instead of the total bodyweight. But you're right, it might make me just fixate on that number. I'm much better than I used to be about the scale.

Quote:
-Would it be best to just use the mirror, if you goal is really appearance based anyway?...
I do use the mirror and I also take measurements once a week. I see the inches coming off, and I see much more definition in my muscles. I also take progress pics once a month. But no matter all the positive results I still get butterflys when getting on the scale. If you were to ask me what I thought was more important: losing inches or losing scale weight I would definitely say losing inches. My brain knows this. But there's that part of me that still can't stand the scale.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
phoenix13
Moderator of Female Forum

I never heard of it before. Interesting though. I personally wouldn't buy it because the "big number" doesn't bother me, and I do the math automatically anyway.

Back when the numbers mattered more (when I was competing), I made it a motivating win-win experience this way: if the scale moved in the desired direction - hell yeah! keep on truckin! and if it went the other way, I used it as an instant jolt of motivation to get the results I desired.

As for the body image issues and hang up with the numbers, I have trekked that path many years. It's good that you made progress, AND that you acknowledge where you still have room to grow.

This is just a thought, feel free to disregard... Here's a little experiment: next time you weigh yourself, take several deep, relaxed breaths before you get on the scale. When you get on, don't look at the number. Just experience whatever you are thinking and feeling. Don't rush it. Allow whatever to come up to reveal itself. Get off the scale without ever looking at the number. Sit down and write about the experience. This may offer you a clearer view into the hang up. Awareness is the first step in healing. If that turns out to be helpful to you, you can try it again at a later time and look at the number. See what comes up then. You'll have the opportunity to challenge irrational, out-dated thinking.

When I first read the title of your thread, I thought "Wow! They made a food scale that tracks how much you've eaten over the day. Brilliant!"
2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

TRUENUTRITION is the company I trust. Use Code DOM649 at
for a discount.
phoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
nexa
Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I've had body image issues for years and I'm still working through it. At least now I'm at the point where I know much more about how my body works, nutrition and fitness so that I can rationalize with my inner demons regarding the scale number. I know that body composition is much more important than just scale weight, but it still doesn't stop my heart from pounding when I step on for my weigh ins.
I struggled with this for a very, very long time and I wish you the best in battling your body image issues / scale anxiety.

"The function of muscle is to pull and not to push, except in the case of the genitals and the tongue." -Leonardo da Vinci
nexa is offline   Reply With Quote