Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
sostrin

Are you like me and know everything?

But don't put any of that knowledge to use!

My goal is to get down to 8-10% BF by summer. I know how to do this and If I get stuck I know where to get help.

I just can't seem to get my ass in gear. I am stuck in quicksand. Once I am "in gear" the OCD kicks in and I am fine. Training wise I am good. I couldn't stay out of the gym if I tried. Its the food thing that got me. I need to get back into the routine of cooking , weighing , and eating every day.

ie. Today I was going to start.. I hit the snooze,skipped breakfast and didn't make any food so today I ate an egg sandwich, A grilled chicken wrap, two protien bars and a steak for dinner. Total cals - I dont know Macros - I don't know. I can't continue like this its making me depressed

I joined this board in 2006 and made my first post today. I went to the supermarket today and have food to cook, I need to actually wake up and cook my food tomorrow morning and get rolling. And I will

I see alot of sick avatars here. What motivates you guy's? What do you do when you get stuck in the quicksand?

It was easy to get motivated when I was fat and out of shape. Why is it so hard now

BTW - I realize that I actually know nothing. Every time I figure out the answers they change the questions.

6'1
43 y
current weight 215 - 218
current waist 36
BF - most likey around 15%
sostrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Macho Man
Intense Muscle Competitor

Try cropping your face in here and hanging it on your fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fat.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	37645  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
steel1970

I think you just need to ask yourself how important this goal is to you.....You are the only one who can do this. No one can do it for you. So success lies in your hands, as does failure....Gut check time. We all have times that we slide. I know I do. Not so much now as when I was younger, as things just seem easier to me now. But that is after I had alot of help along the way. So don't be afraid to ask questions and look for feedback and encouragement. You will find those things here at IM, as well as alot of knowledge that is shared from some pretty well versed people....Look thru Skip's DVD....27 years or so of knowledge is wrapped up in there, and the guy still plugs along like he is 20 years old...lol. That could inspire you to do better as well....

Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"
Use my discount code at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Enter code STS987 and get 5% off
steel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
steel1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho Man View Post
Try cropping your face in here and hanging it on your fridge.
Are you sure that you are truly unaware that you are an ass?....lol

Use my discount code at

Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Macho Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel1970 View Post
Are you sure that you are truly unaware that you are an ass?....lol
It was mean to tell him to picture himself as fatter than he really is, hopefully (haha, kidding), to help motivate him?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Getnbigger

Sign up for a bodybuilding show in your area. Enter the novice division. Pay the entry fee and tell eveyone you know you are doing it and the date. The fear of looking like a fatty in a speedo on stage will be a great start in the motivation category.
Getnbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
steel1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho Man View Post
It was mean to tell him to picture himself as fatter than he really is, hopefully (haha, kidding), to help motivate him?
Nah, I'm just kidding. I look forward to your humor to be honest with you...

Use my discount code at

Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Macho Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel1970 View Post
Nah, I'm just kidding. I look forward to your humor to be honest with you...

That was nice
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
LandryP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getnbigger View Post
Sign up for a bodybuilding show in your area. Enter the novice division. Pay the entry fee and tell eveyone you know you are doing it and the date. The fear of looking like a fatty in a speedo on stage will be a great start in the motivation category.
This is good. Do this.

Learn to estimate portions as well.

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom
LandryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
dropshot001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandryP View Post
This is good. Do this.

Learn to estimate portions as well.
i would advise getting a scale.....when you are hungry the portions tend to grow a little
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
syssstem

dude sounds like your making it a chore more than a life style. You have to enjoy doing what your doing. If you have to force your self to get up and cook then that will just get to be a pain in the ass and you wont want to do it after while. Why dont you buy some protein powder and easy to make shit rather than cooking 6+ meals a day? That way it can get you started without having to really deviate too much from your normal life style.

When I'm feeling lazy I wake up in the mornign and have 2 scoops of whey, microwave a cup of oatmeal for 1 minute, and eat a handful of w.e nuts I want. Takes total of 2 minutes to prepare and 1 minute to eat. A few hours later when Im hungry I cook a meal. Few hours later do the shake / oatmeal again while I cook a meal that I will eat a few hours after that. 3 shakes/ oatmeal with 3 cooked meals. Super frigen easy. If your in a rush or a pickel do frigen back to back shake / oatmeal, its better than nothing! That way it can get you started on something that is arguably just as effective as eating 6 whole meals a day, and you dont have to even bust your ass in the kitchen!

edit: if some days you only get 4 meals in who cares! just set a plan and try to stick to it as best as possible. Some days you might eat 4 protein shake meals and 2 whole food meals, others you might eat 6 food and no protein shakes. Some days you might only eat 3 meals. Just figure out a plan and stay consistant, and dont kick your self in the ass if life makes you deviate from that plan. Make it fun and enjoy it.

Last edited by syssstem; 02-02-2011 at 04:03 AM.
syssstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
sostrin

Thanks to all.

Well I got up at 4:30 this morning and Made some food. My "excuse" is my crazy work schedual. I don't have a 9-5 job. I am a flooring installer and have been working 12 hrs a day 6-7 days a week for the last few months. ie. Tomorrow I have a 20 hr shift. I not complaining I am glad to be working but its been real hard to keep a routein.

I am OCD I like to Wake at the same time, go to sleep at the same time, eat at the same times every day and train at the same times. Its impossible now to do this.

When on point I weigh all my food when cutting fat. I estimate when I am not.

Macho Man - That is a pic of ME. Where did you get it LOL

Signing up for a show is a good idea. I will look into that.

Now that I posted here I am gonna have to put up or shut up. I know what my diet will be, I know what my training will be at least for the next 8 weeks. Just have to get started
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
Godsmack
Middleweight Member

Once you get started and rolling it becomes routine man.

My biggest issue is food. While the 'quality avail' isnt great or even good I need to find a better way to make it work, and to eat more.

J
Godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

I will get my two cents in here, too:

I think working your ass off is cool. Not a lot of people at the top of the bodybuilding world know what it is like to work their asses off. And ... that is why they are able to train and do everything it takes to get to that level. Keep in mind that it is very, very hard to have a normal job that involves overtime and not have something else in your life suffer whether it is time with your wife or kids or anything else that is important to you.

My advice? If you are working 20 hour shifts and you don't like it, you need to get a new job. I am saying IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT because if you do, then make it all work and if you can't, your workouts will simply have to suffer, it just is what it is.

Speaking for myself, I have people tell me all the time "boy, it would be great to be you because you can train whenever you want, work whenever you want, etc". Thing is, I put myself in this position - it didn't happen by some stroke of luck. I MADE my situation exactly what it is so .... if you want something different, make it happen.

Skip

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: TEAM SKIP
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
DCBliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

I think working your ass off is cool. Not a lot of people at the top of the bodybuilding world know what it is like to work their asses off. And ... that is why they are able to train and do everything it takes to get to that level. Keep in mind that it is very, very hard to have a normal job that involves overtime and not have something else in your life suffer whether it is time with your wife or kids or anything else that is important to you.

My advice? If you are working 20 hour shifts and you don't like it, you need to get a new job. I am saying IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT because if you do, then make it all work and if you can't, your workouts will simply have to suffer, it just is what it is.

Speaking for myself, I have people tell me all the time "boy, it would be great to be you because you can train whenever you want, work whenever you want, etc". Thing is, I put myself in this position - it didn't happen by some stroke of luck. I MADE my situation exactly what it is so .... if you want something different, make it happen.

Skip
I have to ECHO what SKIP said. When I worked with him my schedule was all sorts of crazy. I have since moved up in my career field and have a job that pays well, that I enjoy, and allows me the freedom to more or less make my schedule. Just be in control of yourself and your life and it'll come together.
DCBliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
Godsmack
Middleweight Member

Quote:

Skip
Skip..........That is the best way to address his situation man.

Well played kind sir. Well played.

J
Godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
46er
Lightweight Member

Good post Skip- just wish you wouldn't "beat around the bush" all the time.
46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Macho Man

Skip, you're so full of shit. You were the first person to adopt my proven method of motivation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fat.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	37646  
Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
fade
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho man View Post
skip, you're so full of shit. You were the first person to adopt my proven method of motivation.
lmao

2008:
Rocky Mountain Classic - 2nd Novice Heavyweight, 4th Open Heavyweight.

2009:
Europa Super Show Dallas - 4th Open Lightheavy
Red River Classic - 7th Open Lightheavy

2010: Got Huge

2011 - Europa Super Show Dallas - 8th Open Lightheavy

Bodybuilding keeps drawing me back in
fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Knickerbocker24

It typically takes about three weeks to create a habit, even if it's one you used to have, but are no longer following. So, the first thing to understand is especially in those first few weeks you WILL have setbacks. Don't let that stop your progress all together. If you have a setback ie you get up late, don't let that lead to another like eating bad food. Start where you are at the moment and make a good decision.

The other thing is setting new habits is kinda like going to AA. Don't overwhlem yourself with having to do everything. All the tasks of a bodybuilder can be overwhelming if you think about them all together...lift, diet, cardio, tan, shave, on and on. Instead only tell yourself you are going to meet one of those. That may be as simple as saying "I am going to wake up at X" time. You don't commit to going to the gym or eating right, just to getting up on time. Once you have done that, set your next goal, "I will eat my first meal of the day on time and as prescribed". This way you take things one at a time and don't get overwhelmed. After a while you start checking all these things off your list and before you know it you are in a groove and it becomes automatic. Just don't overwhelm yourself with too many things at once. Just take it one step at a time. I hope that is helpful.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
sostrin

Quote:

Skip

I agree with you. Things are a little rough out there in the economy and for now I am doing what has too be done. I am currently looking to change my situation but these things take time.

You don't know me but you have my situation pegged. All aspects of my life are suffering Wife,Kids and my own stuff as well.

LIFE - The secret of life is that life is hard.

I am trying to deal with the hand that has currently been dealt.. Things will change.

I guess all I can do right now is the best I can.

This is something I do for me and Me alone. It is very impoortant to me and it makes me happy. I will figure out a way to make this work within my current situation and I will reach my goals.

Thanks for telling it like it is

Thanks to everyone else. Great feedback

Last edited by sostrin; 02-02-2011 at 05:47 PM.