Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
crod266
Lightweight Member

How often do you guys cook

Hey im wondering how often most of you guys cook things like beef, chicken and fish. The reason im asking is because i cook for about 3-4 days in advance because of lack of time I cant cook constantly. THe problem with this is that i cant get my clean food down the hatch anymore. The worst is with the chicken, tastes great the whole first day but by the 3rd day its very dry and i end up eating less because it doesnt taste good and getting less protein. Any help would be great
crod266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
teckno05
Light-heavyweight Member

Coming from a person who knows nothing about cooking, all i can think of is if you've tried preparing and storing the meats in some kind of marinade or something to that effect. that would probably help with the "toughness". as for taste, id say use some kind of sauce. Same thing happens to me with hamburgers after a few days they're inedible without BBQ sauce
teckno05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Heckman

I only prepare what food I need for that given day up till my 3pm meal. I used to cook up a few days in advance, but I have it down to where it only takes me about about 30-40 minutes to prepare the days food...The only thing I cook later on is dinner..plus my schedule allows alot of flexibilty on how I do things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
darkguitars2000
Light-heavyweight Member

I've found what works best is using one meat source for the week, and cooking all of it at one time (or at least the first few days worth), and putting it in one big container (or different ones if I season in differently) and then just scoop some out to go with the carbs I make that day.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
darkguitars2000
Light-heavyweight Member

Have you tried shredding your chicken up? (I'd do this with my fingers) but shred it up like people do when they make pork bbq, and then put some sauce on it. (Walden Farms makes calorie free stuff, I think).
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
steel1970
Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckman View Post
I only prepare what food I need for that given day up till my 3pm meal. I used to cook up a few days in advance, but I have it down to where it only takes me about about 30-40 minutes to prepare the days food...The only thing I cook later on is dinner..plus my schedule allows alot of flexibilty on how I do things.
This is a better way if you have the time....I usually cook my meals about half an hour prior to needing to eat, granted that I am home. These days it seems as if all I have is time, so I like doing it this way. Everything is fresh, and I don't have to worry about dry as chicken....lol. If I know I am not gonna be home much, I cook a few meals (the same thing for all) and throw them in containers for each meal....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"
Use my discount code at

Enter code STS987 and get 5% off
steel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
crod266
Lightweight Member

thanks guys all good ideas, its getting to the point where ill put 10oz chicken in a bowl and eat like 6 before i wana puke. Now heckman i wanted to ask, how do you condense time so much. It takes me so long plus my chicken takes about an hour in the oven
crod266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
steel1970
Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod266 View Post
thanks guys all good ideas, its getting to the point where ill put 10oz chicken in a bowl and eat like 6 before i wana puke. Now heckman i wanted to ask, how do you condense time so much. It takes me so long plus my chicken takes about an hour in the oven
Try cutting the chicken up in small pieces and cooking it in a fry pan with some Pam or olive/canola oil....I throw some veggies on top and cover when the chicken is almost done...this tastes good and then I can add some rice for my carbs....

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"
Use my discount code at

Enter code STS987 and get 5% off
steel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Heckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod266 View Post
I get up at 2:30am,hit the gym at 3:15..after workout and shooting the shit, I'm home at 4:45-5:00am, done cooking by 5:30 -5:45..
I cook my chicken cubed in a pan on the stove, little butter spray, garlic salt, cook for a few minutes, turn and bingo...in the container, and the next batch goes on the fire...it only take about 4 minutes per side to cook..while thats cooking I microwave my brocolli..I even cook my wifes food in the same time period.

Heckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
phoenix13
Moderator of Female Forum

During the work week, I cook 2 days worth of meat at a time WHILE I am cooking breakfast which I make fresh each morning upon rising while my coffee is brewing. I'm already in the kitchen at the stove, so it doesn't take that much more time. This way I only have to make the extra meals every other day. On Sundays you can prep Monday's food (and maybe Tuesday also if that keeps it fresh enough for your liking), then you only have to do the EOD a.m. cooking 2 times a week.
2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

TRUENUTRITION is the company I trust. Use Code DOM649 at
for a discount.
phoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
BryanB
Light-heavyweight Member

I usually buy the big family packs of chicken breasts from Sams Club. Each pack is 6-7lbs and lasts me 3-4 days for my at work meals. Evening meals are usually some sort of fish or shakes

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider
BryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
gbirch

I cook 3-4 days in advance as well because of time as well. For the chicken I cube it after I cook it and store in the with whatever rice I'm having with it. The moisture from the rice keeps it from drying out, but it does still taste a bit rubbery, especially if you nuke it for too long.

For dinners (beef) I usually cook up a big stew pot full of whatever I'm eating and freeze it in a separate container by the pound as well. Beef isn't too bad to cook up at night when I have time, but while I'm microwaving that up, I'm usually cooking up whatever the wife and kids are having.
gbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
steve302
Bantamweight Member

I cook, portion, then freeze about 3 weeks worth of lean meats. Usually a variey of chicken, lean ground beef, and topround steak. (about 30-35 lbs total raw)

Then I just add carbs and fats as needed.
steve302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
fade
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor

God do I hate left overs.. When I'm dieting - and hungry - anything tastes good.. But when I'm trying to eat healthy when I could be eating some pizza hut or mcdonalds, then I have to have food that tastes good.

I make everything that I'll eat at work when I get up in the morning. Usually I just have 2 lbs of hamburgers and I make them into 8 patties. That gives me 50g of protein per 2 patties and 4 total meals. Add 3 shakes to that and I've got a full day's worth of food..

I takes me less than 5 mins to prep and about 20 mins to cook. Throw all 8 burgers on the grill or griddle if it's cold outside - and they're done in about 20 mins after flipping.

2008:
Rocky Mountain Classic - 2nd Novice Heavyweight, 4th Open Heavyweight.

2009:
Europa Super Show Dallas - 4th Open Lightheavy
Red River Classic - 7th Open Lightheavy

2010: Got Huge

2011 - Europa Super Show Dallas - 8th Open Lightheavy

Bodybuilding keeps drawing me back in
fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
zalex999
Lightweight Member

For chicken, a tip:

On Sunday evenings ill take two big pans and layer in a bunch of chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (to make them thinner) then chop up an onion, and a bunch of garlic cloves.

On this side, mix up Dijon mustard, black pepper, and some water, put all this in the pan with the chicken and let it bake.

Once its done, transfer the mix to a couple big Tupperware, juices and all, then in the morning weigh your portions of protein per meal into individual containers, add either cauliflower or potatoes/rice (depending if its a p+c or p+f+veggies meal) to the mixture to let em soak up some juice.

Moist chicken, that a chimpanzee could make and tastes stupid good!

*Edit* Fade before you say anything, i know this is about 10000% too much work for you hehe
zalex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
BAWSE

Crock Pots are great...slow cook 3lbs of chicken overnight (cooks for 8hrs while I sleep hot and ready to eat all next day)

Also rice cookers are nice time saver although brown rice takes 2-3x longer than white to steam so plan accordingly

my apartment has been compared to a buffet...
BAWSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #17
fade
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalex999 View Post
For chicken, a tip:

On Sunday evenings ill take two big pans and layer in a bunch of chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (to make them thinner) then chop up an onion, and a bunch of garlic cloves.

On this side, mix up Dijon mustard, black pepper, and some water, put all this in the pan with the chicken and let it bake.

Once its done, transfer the mix to a couple big Tupperware, juices and all, then in the morning weigh your portions of protein per meal into individual containers, add either cauliflower or potatoes/rice (depending if its a p+c or p+f+veggies meal) to the mixture to let em soak up some juice.

Moist chicken, that a chimpanzee could make and tastes stupid good!

*Edit* Fade before you say anything, i know this is about 10000% too much work for you hehe
Man I have eaten your worcestershire burgers for the last 5 days... I added some onions to them but damnit if they don't cook faster and taste better.

2008:
Rocky Mountain Classic - 2nd Novice Heavyweight, 4th Open Heavyweight.

2009:
Europa Super Show Dallas - 4th Open Lightheavy
Red River Classic - 7th Open Lightheavy

2010: Got Huge

2011 - Europa Super Show Dallas - 8th Open Lightheavy

Bodybuilding keeps drawing me back in
fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #18
chedu

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckno05 View Post
Coming from a person who knows nothing about cooking, all i can think of is if you've tried preparing and storing the meats in some kind of marinade or something to that effect. that would probably help with the "toughness".
Definitely, brining your chicken will improve that "thoughness" and reduce the cooking time.

Another option you guys can consider would be making some sort of chicken/turkey meat loaf. That could be way tastier than some chicken breasts cooked 3-4 days in advance, even if you have to eat it cold.
chedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
zalex999
Lightweight Member

@ Fade - Nice!! Glad you like it.

Something else i wanted to add to the thread, be careful with crock pot cooking time, as white meat will cook faster and cooking it too long especially with any acid in your mixture (which you damn well better have some acidity if you wanna take advantage of slow-cookers) will turn into chicken mush.

Just a tip, first time you use your crock-pot, do it during the day so you can monitor and see how much cooking time gets the texture you want.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
SoCo4Fun

I cook either every day or every other day. I have a week long meal schedule that is the same every week so it makes it easy. I also like eating things that I can cook in big batches and just scoop some out and reheat during the day (i.e. ground turkey and sweet potato shepherds pie).

SoCo
SoCo4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
MrAust92
IM Veteran Member

I cook twice a day.

In the evening I prepare all my shakes and meals for the next day and have them stacked up in the fridge, I also cook my evening meal (usually fillet steak and greens) and eat that fresh out of the pan (steak is much better when not re-heated).

In the morning Im up and in the gym by 5am, I come home, cook my eggs to be eaten fresh (re-heated eggs blow) and then pack my pre-prepared food in a cooler bag and off to work.

Aftre years of practice I have reduced the time taken to do this to a minor inconvenience, I am also usually making school lunches for my kids at the same time.

Who said males cant multi-task??

MrAust92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
steve302
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalex999 View Post
@ Fade - Nice!! Glad you like it.

Something else i wanted to add to the thread, be careful with crock pot cooking time, as white meat will cook faster and cooking it too long especially with any acid in your mixture (which you damn well better have some acidity if you wanna take advantage of slow-cookers) will turn into chicken mush.

Just a tip, first time you use your crock-pot, do it during the day so you can monitor and see how much cooking time gets the texture you want.
whats a good acidic mixture? cal free preferably. To cook chicken in the slow cooker. By boneless skinless always come out tough as hell when I cook them in my crock pot.
steve302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
adren

I have to cook everyday coz I don't like leftovers, but if you have to go that route, use sauces to have the meat soak in. Won't be dry that way for sure.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
lhart6272
Heavyweight Member

never. i have an attatchment that i screw on the bed that gets house clean and food cooked.
lhart6272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
zalex999
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve302 View Post
whats a good acidic mixture? cal free preferably. To cook chicken in the slow cooker. By boneless skinless always come out tough as hell when I cook them in my crock pot.
For acidity think things like:
Lemon/lime/orange/pineapple juice
Vinegars
wines

For the cal free (also something i focus on because i wanna eat my calories not have them vanish in a sauce or drink haha) i prefer vinegars.

Couple flavor pair tips:
Red wine vinegar - will go well with things like hot sauce/garlic/onion to make a "buffalo or spicy flavor"

Balsamic vinegar - Mix it with Mediterranean flavors and herbs but use caution as it can easily overpower

White Wine vinegar - great for mixing with things like dill/mustard/horse radish

for "asian cuisine" use some soy sauce, a small amount of fresh squeezed lemon/lime juice, garlic, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and scallions

these are some of the best (IMO) ways to start a slow cooker recipe/marinade/sauce depending on the flavor your aiming for.

Hope that helps