Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
BMAN ENGLAND

Question Should or Shouldn't I?

Hi guys,

Any advice, criticism - anything will be taken on board, I'm here to learn!

A bit about my self, I'm 28 years old and have been training since I was 14. I have had a lot of injuries over the years which have interupted my training (torn rotator, broken hand, back, knee & ankle ligaments....) but I've always sorted my self and got back too it. I also enjoy lots of walking and playing football (soccer) regularly.

Some stats:

5'10"
195lb
12% bf

Flat bench 110kg (242lb) 8reps.
Standing Military Press 72.5kg (160lb) 8reps
Deads (from deck no straps) 180kg (396lb) 8reps - PB of 215kg (474lb) for 1rep.
Squat - 120kg (265lb) 10reps - really need to work on these!!!!

My problem is I have been doing high volume for so long I find it hard to drop my reps down. I've done the 5x5 training in the past and saw good results but turned my back on it when my training partner moved away and I went back to high volume work-outs trying to knock out an extra rep the next session/extra weight.

I've been reading up various new routines/workouts for the last 3 months now, taking them all on board. I really want to knock my volume down and DC training seems a great way for me to do this (believe me I'm no slacker)...

Reason been I often use rest pause/drop sets/supersets as I love to exhaust the muscle (within-reason). So in my eyes been able to knock out my initial 8 reps short rest then 5 reps, sr 3 reps (example) is the ideal way for me to knock down my reps? I find it hard to go 5, 5, 5... I very rarely go down to 1 rep max's and my strength does seem to go off quicker than you would expect when I drop of the reps.

My aim is to gain good lean muscle.

Rough daily diet might look something like this (yesterday):

7am - 3 weatabix, scoop choc whey and 500ml ss milk.
10am - tuna sandwich (2/3 can & whole grain bun), banana & pro biotic yoghurt.
12.30 - tuna sandwich, apple, peptide shake.
3.00 - tuna sandwich and orange
5.00 - All in one shake
6.00 - TRAIN
7.00 - All in one shake
7:30 - salmon, jacket potato and veg
before bed - 200 - 300g cottage cheese.

I can eat and eat but I would say this is my maintance or just above at the minute and know and willing to eat more to grow.

Thort very very welcome

Thanx Steve
BMAN ENGLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Andre Gregoire
Intense Muscle Competitor

As far as training I would try the DC 2 day split and do higher reps like 12reps on the first part of the rest pause set so the total set is about 20-30reps rest paused.

There is a post out there for 34+ year olds, find it and read it. Even though you are younger if you are prone to injury it's never to early to start being careful.

As far as diet I would increase protein and fats a bit. Keep eating progressively more food so your weight slowly goes up. It shouldn't be static if you want to gain a decent amount of muscle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight
Andre Gregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
BMAN ENGLAND

Thanx for that Andre, much appreaciated I will take a look for the post. Most of my injuries where when I was younger and stupider wanting to gain quicker than my body could handle plus using bad techneque. The knee and ankle injuries wear from playing football, but always worth a read!!! I know my body much better these days.

My proteins intake is around 250 - 275g's at the minute would you say it should be more towards the 350+ mark?

Thanx again
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
dice77
Heavyweight Member

It seems like your primary protein source is tuna. You might want to add eggs, egg whites, steak, chicken, etc.
Check out a thread called DIET by Massive G.
dice77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
BMAN ENGLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice77 View Post
It seems like your primary protein source is tuna. You might want to add eggs, egg whites, steak, chicken, etc.
Check out a thread called DIET by Massive G.
Yer bad example I gave really , that was just yesterdays food sometime's I will have eggs for breakfast and usually go between tuna/salmon/chicken while at work 9 - 5:30 then my 't' will usually be some kind of fish, steak, chicken, turkey. I think I have come accross the 'DIET by Massive G' but will take another look for sure thanx.

Also loving my pilchards at the minute
Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Andre Gregoire
Intense Muscle Competitor

Here is the link:

For every bodybuilder post 34 years of age
http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...ighlight=older

For a 200lb bodybuilder doing no cardio, training 3 days per week, trying to slowly gain, I like start with about 300g Protein, 200g Carbs, 100g Fats per day and go from there.

I know Dante is big on 2g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight
Andre Gregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
BMAN ENGLAND

Thats brilliant Andre thanx for finding out the link for me (I've got a list of things to search for at the side of my desk lol) I will look at upping my protein.

A few years ago in the winter I was taking on board 4500-5000 calories a day and got my protein towards the 2g - 1lb mark - food defo works

Cheers
Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
BMAN ENGLAND

Just read the post it's a great read and very true thanx for bringing it to my attention Andre and thanx for writing it Dante.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
BMAN ENGLAND

When I come up with my DC 2 day split should I post it in this thread or create a new thread in the Puppy Pound?

Thanx Guys.