Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Female Forums > Female Training and Nutrition Forum > Women's Bodybuilding, Bikini, Figure & Fitness Competition

Women's Bodybuilding, Bikini, Figure & Fitness Competition Discuss female bodybuilding, women’s fitness, women’s figure competitions and women's bikini competitions.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
BuffedWildCat
Bantamweight Member

How many shows...

do you do in a year? Or have you done? And what is your preferred number of shows to do per year and why?

I was thinking that if I ever decided to compete, that I would pick out ONE show to do every year. I think this would work best for me because I would want to cut very slowly, as in give myself 6 months to lean out enough.

So along those lines, how long do you give yourself to cut for a show? And why?

Inline Speed Skater - Last Lap, Tight Pack, Absolutely, Positively, Most Definitely Without a Doubt - NO FEAR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Those who push further when the effort gets difficult are the ones who will win.

Bodybuilding isn't everything, but being small, weak, and puny REALLY SUCKS!!

Adversity causes some to break and others to break records.
BuffedWildCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
phoenix13
Moderator of Female Forum

My first year I did 2, and decided I'd probably never do that again. I do 1 a year since then, and at the moment, am not sure I could justify doing more than that when viewing from the big picture of my life. My main reason is that getting as lean as is necessary to be competitive is extreme (in the standard I strive to achieve). There is a limit to how long I want to manipulate my body to that level, how long I want to have such energy demands and lifestyle restrictions that are part of that process. Also, each time I step on stage, I want there to be noticeable improvements in my physique. I want competition to be a PART of my life, not my life.

I'd rather take a long, gradual ride to get to the stage than an all out sprint for a few months. The fatter you start, the longer it takes.
phoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
BuffedWildCat
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
...There is a limit to how long I want to manipulate my body to that level, how long I want to have such energy demands and lifestyle restrictions that are part of that process. Also, each time I step on stage, I want there to be noticeable improvements in my physique. I want competition to be a PART of my life, not my life.

I'd rather take a long, gradual ride to get to the stage than an all out sprint for a few months. The fatter you start, the longer it takes.
Exactly, I feel the same way. I know someone who does the sprint, has gained too much weight off season and then cuts so hard that she nearly passes out, I just don't understand why someone would want to do that to themselves. Then of course she is the kind of person who thinks she knows it all already cause anytime I've tried to give her some advice she blows me off and essentially comes back with, "you don't know anything, you've never competed", this from a gal who just got into the sport. I've for sure been lifting and doing the BB diet lifestyle for longer than her. Anyway, eh, sorry for the tangent, it's just something that irks me. I totally agree with you, I think slow and steady so-to-speak wins the race. Thanks for sharing.

Inline Speed Skater - Last Lap, Tight Pack, Absolutely, Positively, Most Definitely Without a Doubt - NO FEAR.

Those who push further when the effort gets difficult are the ones who will win.

Bodybuilding isn't everything, but being small, weak, and puny REALLY SUCKS!!

Adversity causes some to break and others to break records.
BuffedWildCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
trucelt
IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor

When I was competing I always tried to do 2-3 in a row.. my thought process is that dieting is such an arduous process that once your in shape...id rather take advantage of it and do a few shows in succession and enjoy it. I can't see the point of doing all that work and only giving myself one opportunity to get it all right
2014-USPA State PL
2014-HI Strongman
2013-USPA Raw Challenge PL
2013-WABDL Push/Pull
2013-USPA State PL
2013-AAU State PL
2011-USPA Metro
2010-NPC Stingrey
2009-NPC Islands
2009-NPC Stingrey
2009-ABA Islands
2002-ABA Islands
2002-ABA IronWorks
2001-NPC Paradise Cup
2001-ABA Olympia
2001-ABA Islands
2000-NPC Nat.Tri-State
2000-INBF Midwest Musclefest
1998-NGA Heart of Ill
1998-INBF Ohio
trucelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
KidRok
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucelt View Post
When I was competing I always tried to do 2-3 in a row.. my thought process is that dieting is such an arduous process that once your in shape...id rather take advantage of it and do a few shows in succession and enjoy it. I can't see the point of doing all that work and only giving myself one opportunity to get it all right
I agree, if timing is right. I prefer that they are at least 2 weeks apart so I give my body a chance to normalize after water manipulation. Even doing them a month apart. Once you hit that 1st show, enjoy some pizza or cheeseburgers that night and then back at it. Maintaining the diet for another month is not that hard.

KidRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
trucelt
IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor

@kid:
Yup my thoughts exactly...a week apart is tough but 2-4 is perfect. As a former athlete I prefer to get a little bit of a "season" out of the experience. Plus ive done 3 over 6 weeks and that 6 weeks of working out and just walking around shredded is cool
2014-USPA State PL
2014-HI Strongman
2013-USPA Raw Challenge PL
2013-WABDL Push/Pull
2013-USPA State PL
2013-AAU State PL
2011-USPA Metro
2010-NPC Stingrey
2009-NPC Islands
2009-NPC Stingrey
2009-ABA Islands
2002-ABA Islands
2002-ABA IronWorks
2001-NPC Paradise Cup
2001-ABA Olympia
2001-ABA Islands
2000-NPC Nat.Tri-State
2000-INBF Midwest Musclefest
1998-NGA Heart of Ill
1998-INBF Ohio
trucelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
phoenix13
Moderator of Female Forum

I definitely see what you guys are saying. Maybe I wasn't tough enough or didn't enjoy the show itself enough to do more than one. If ever I do step on stage again, some of my goals will be to enjoy it more and have a better attitude about the show. I know what I'm getting into at this point.
2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

TRUENUTRITION is the company I trust. Use Code DOM649 at
for a discount.
phoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
KidRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
I definitely see what you guys are saying. Maybe I wasn't tough enough or didn't enjoy the show itself enough to do more than one. If ever I do step on stage again, some of my goals will be to enjoy it more and have a better attitude about the show. I know what I'm getting into at this point.
Getting some enjoyment out of it is definitely a necessity to push yourself through for more. If you prep for 16-20 weeks just for a few minutes on stage you better damn well have some fun for those few minutes!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
KidRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucelt View Post
@kid:
Yup my thoughts exactly...a week apart is tough but 2-4 is perfect. As a former athlete I prefer to get a little bit of a "season" out of the experience. Plus ive done 3 over 6 weeks and that 6 weeks of working out and just walking around shredded is cool
Exactly. And once you reach being "stage ready"....except for water manipulation...the diet and training is like cruising, all you should need to do is maintain your current condition.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

You guys revived an old thread

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
KidRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG1 View Post
You guys revived an old thread
Silly us.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRok View Post
Silly us.
Lol. I don't compete but always cool to hear what you, trucelt and Phoenix have to say. I mean, you been in the trenches

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote