Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
bruno
Intense Set of the Month winner April, May, July, August and September 2008

Ending a blast with a bang

Yesterday I few people asked me when I was going to post another video, so I thought I would do it today. If people get sick of it just let me know and I'll keep it to my journal.

I have been lifting hard for about 10-11 weeks, and this coming week is very busy, so it is time to take a week off. I don't want to because I am making some good progress strength-wise, but my body is feeling very beat up and something I have learned is that it is better to take a proactive cruise and take 7-10 days completely away from the gym then wait until you are truly wasted, which risks injury and usually necessitates a longer cruise. Seeing as this was my last week, I pushed it real hard and my happy with the how it went.

Here are some deadlifts I did this morning. I wanted to test how many reps I could get using double my bodyweight, which is 350 (weighed 175.1 this morning at the gym). Last time I tried this, I was 10 lbs lighter and pulled 330x12, and that was early in the blast when I was fresher. Today I hit 350x16 at the end of the blast, so I was very happy with this. I also used to take a lot longer pauses between reps, and sets could take around 2 minutes. Here I did the first 12 reps stragith through and took breaks for the last 4, but still not as long as in the past. People have mentioned that they get sick of seeing deadlift videos, so I apologize for that, but I must say that it is probably my favorite lift, and I am most pleased when I PR on this lift. I also love watching guys like Shelby pulling heavy and hard, which motivates me a lot. I can't wait to see Super D, Dusty, and Learning DC (or anyone else for that matter) rip some massive pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXu8i...e=channel_page

I often end up failing on my last rep, but as you will see, the last rep took 10 seconds so there was no way I was getting another. I was glad to lock it out without hitching (though there was a lot of shaking LOL) because I sometimes struggle with the lockout.

It sucks taking a cruise when things are going well, but like I said, my body is feeling bery beat up and I think it's better to take a proactive cruise than wait until it's too late. I have one more upper body workout and then 7-10 days off.

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Here is some of my lifting. Please subscribe to my channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Ironraider
Light-heavyweight Member

Bruno...love this stuff bro! I really admire your hard work ethic and sticking with program. Obviously, you're doing everything correctly.

As you shared...you have to know your body when it is time to cruise and when to keep pushing. Like you, my strength was still rising, but my body was getting dinged, and the symptoms were there to hit the brakes.

I just ended my cruise this past Monday and I'm working on new baseline numbers.

Great job...I look forward to more vids!

You are at war with your logbook. Don't focus on the war, focus on the day to day battle and your victory in the war will be assured
Ironraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Jerzey
Light-heavyweight Member

Badass!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
olinerules87
Light-heavyweight Member

great set Bruno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:8
olinerules87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
MilitaryMuscle
Super-heavyweight Member

you are a fucking animal bruno!

(i also think skip may be jelious if he sees your tan lol)
"BBing should be a lifetime pursuit or are you are missing the point . Make that in your plans from the very begining .Take it as far as you wish [ and genetics will allow ] , but don't miss what bbing is suposed to be about .Or you really will be missing out ....." - IABADMAN

Use JSB982 as your discount code at trueprotein.com and recieve 5% discount on all orders.

= link to strongman comp augest 8th in norfolk, va
MilitaryMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
VTliftVT

I loved seeing you push through that the way you did. So many people would have stopped around rep 12 when you just keep going and going....thats intense muscle right there
VTliftVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironraider View Post
Bruno...love this stuff bro! I really admire your hard work ethic and sticking with program. Obviously, you're doing everything correctly.

As you shared...you have to know your body when it is time to cruise and when to keep pushing. Like you, my strength was still rising, but my body was getting dinged, and the symptoms were there to hit the brakes.

I just ended my cruise this past Monday and I'm working on new baseline numbers.

Great job...I look forward to more vids!
Thanks man I appreciate that. Sometimes it is harder to be smart than it is to be stupid. It's never fun to take a break but it's very necessary. I am getting about this with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey View Post
Badass!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinerules87 View Post
great set Bruno
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryMuscle View Post
you are a fucking animal bruno!

(i also think skip may be jelious if he sees your tan lol)
Thanks man. LOL, that is a side effect of being Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTliftVT View Post
I loved seeing you push through that the way you did. So many people would have stopped around rep 12 when you just keep going and going....thats intense muscle right there
Thanks man. To people that don't like to lift it seems a little crazy, but as all the guys here know, the fun comes in the struggle. Once the set gets tough, that's when the real fun starts.

Use BNB559 as a discount code at checkout from trueprotein.com for a hefty discount. You will not regret it.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
syssstem
Intense Muscle Competitor

awsome lift man! your starting to look super thick
syssstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
--XXX--
Intense Set of the Month November 2009, April 2010

Your videos are NEVER boring, doesn't matter if it is a dead lift or not. I must say that it is absolutely motivational to watch you push through fatigue. I take you with me to the gym whether you know it or not. Waiting to get an ISOM video good enough to rival you. LOL By the way, what audio is that?

YOU DON'T ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOU STAND UNTIL YOU KNOW THAT YOU WON'T RUN AWAY.

My DC log:

My Photo Journal:
--XXX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by syssstem View Post
awsome lift man! your starting to look super thick
Thanks man. I have continued to get bigger throughout the year steadily, not fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --XXX-- View Post
Your videos are NEVER boring, doesn't matter if it is a dead lift or not. I must say that it is absolutely motivational to watch you push through fatigue. I take you with me to the gym whether you know it or not. Waiting to get an ISOM video good enough to rival you. LOL By the way, what audio is that?
Thanks man. I am glad that I can motivate some people. It really helps me to have some of the experienced members like homonuculous and Shelby posting videos going balls to the wall with heavy weights, and it really drives me to push myself. I wish more people would post, as it really can motivate others, and it can also help the person posting. I hope people do not hold back because they aren't the biggest or the strongest. Nobody here will talk badly about anyone that is trying hard, and there is no reason why ANYONE can't try hard, regardless of size. I hope to see some from you in the future man!

The song is called "Halo" by Soil

Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
--XXX--
Intense Set of the Month November 2009, April 2010

Thanks Bruno. Great way to put it. I've yet to see anyone get shamed on this site for being a mouse with the heart of a lion.

YOU DON'T ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOU STAND UNTIL YOU KNOW THAT YOU WON'T RUN AWAY.

My DC log:

My Photo Journal:
--XXX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
milkstud
Heavyweight Member

thats just unreal man, to match that I would have to do 560 for 16!!?!?! Your pound for pound the strongest guy i've ever seen...

My Journal:

milkstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by --XXX-- View Post
Thanks Bruno. Great way to put it. I've yet to see anyone get shamed on this site for being a mouse with the heart of a lion.
This is a great group of people here. Many places I would feel embarrassed to post videos with all bigger and stronger guys but here those bigger and stronger encourage you and drive you to work harder. I am very thankful to have some great people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkstud View Post
thats just unreal man, to match that I would have to do 560 for 16!!?!?! Your pound for pound the strongest guy i've ever seen...
Thanks man, but there are MUCH stronger people at my size, and lots of them. Hell, Brian Schwab has pulled like 600 pounds at 148 lbs--nuts. I don't what he was weighing, but I have also seen Shelby rep out 405 for about the same reps as I did 350 like it was nothing. Also, pound for pound strength is cool, but at the end of the day a 250 pound guy pulling 455x10 is going to be bigger and stronger than a guy doing 350x16 at 175. My goal is to keep getting as strong as I can and chase the beasts around here. I have a long way to go strength wise, but I look forward to the process since I am really enjoying this stuff.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
dice77
Heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
It sucks taking a cruise when things are going well, but like I said, my body is feeling bery beat up and I think it's better to take a proactive cruise than wait until it's too late. I have one more upper body workout and then 7-10 days off.
Thanks for the advice Bruno. I'm planning on starting a cruise August 23. I"m feeling a little beat up as well but my first blast has been so successful, I don't want to stop. However, I know a cruise is necessary and I keep telling myself to stick with the program.

Are you doing anything gym related during those 7-10 days off?

Nice work with those deadlifts!
dice77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
IronReload 04
Heavyweight Member

you know how stubborn most people are about taking time off? Cruising is an incredibly smart thing to do imo. I have this belief that 99% of people you see in a gym at a given time are over trained.

Way to go man. To more continued success
IronReload 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 AM   #16
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronReload 04 View Post
you know how stubborn most people are about taking time off? Cruising is an incredibly smart thing to do imo. I have this belief that 99% of people you see in a gym at a given time are over trained.

Way to go man. To more continued success
I tend to be one of the stubborn ones, but I'm getting better with time. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice77 View Post
Thanks for the advice Bruno. I'm planning on starting a cruise August 23. I"m feeling a little beat up as well but my first blast has been so successful, I don't want to stop. However, I know a cruise is necessary and I keep telling myself to stick with the program.

Are you doing anything gym related during those 7-10 days off?

Nice work with those deadlifts!
Thanks man. I personally don't do anything gym related during a cruise. Everyone is different though, and some people like to do some lift lifting and try new exercises for the next blast. I personally have found that the best thing for me is to stay out of the gym completely because after training balls-to-the-wall for awhile, it's hard to tone it back and I end up going too hard, which defeats the purpose of the cruise.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
XX1
ISOM Winner March 2009

Man, like i said in the text....that is a Nasty set Bruno. Keep putting stuff like this up whenever you can, it motivates more people than you might know.

Enjoy the cruise homie...you deserve it

XX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
geese_com
Heavyweight Member

Way to go bruno! Now I've got some deadlift motivation. I deadlifted for the 2nd time in 14 months last week and I realized how much I suck at it now.

Use my TrueProtein Discount Code to get 5% of your TrueProtein order or 10% off an order of 16lbs or more! GJC546

geese_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
Trulyhuge
Intense Muscle Vet

As always, great video/great set.
(SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!
Trulyhuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
DJ Sprawl
Middleweight Member

Nice set. I won't ever get tired of watching good DL videos. I love the song on that vid too.
DJ Sprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
Be Prime
Light-heavyweight Member

Great job Bruno you never dissapoint.
I hope this video will encourage others to post send Scott ISOM vids as we are still back a few months. I sent one in a while ago and apparently not enough were sent in to make a topic out of it. We are like 3 months behind now guys send some vids in.
Be Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #22
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Prime View Post
Great job Bruno you never dissapoint.
I hope this video will encourage others to post send Scott ISOM vids as we are still back a few months. I sent one in a while ago and apparently not enough were sent in to make a topic out of it. We are like 3 months behind now guys send some vids in.
That's cool that you did a video man. I found that it helped me to learn to push harder when I starting filming myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sprawl View Post
Nice set. I won't ever get tired of watching good DL videos. I love the song on that vid too.
Yea deadlift videos are my favorite to watch as well. Before I pull I like to watch Johnnie Jackson, Ronnie, Kroc, Shelby and it helps get me pumped up to keep trying to get stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyhuge View Post
As always, great video/great set.
Gracias amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geese_com View Post
Way to go bruno! Now I've got some deadlift motivation. I deadlifted for the 2nd time in 14 months last week and I realized how much I suck at it now.
Thanks man. Don't worry, it will come back very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
Man, like i said in the text....that is a Nasty set Bruno. Keep putting stuff like this up whenever you can, it motivates more people than you might know.

Enjoy the cruise homie...you deserve it
Thanks man I appreciate that. You know how much I like watching your bench and squat videos to get pumped up.

The cruise should be nice. I woke up this morning feeling beat to hell from those deadlifts. They are my favorite lift, but they have a way of making you feel like you got hit my a car

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #23
KCSuperman
Light-heavyweight Member

That is intense !

what is your protein/calories like right now?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #24
bouncer dave
Intense Muscle Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
The cruise should be nice. I woke up this morning feeling beat to hell from those deadlifts. They are my favorite lift, but they have a way of making you feel like you got hit my a car
with this intensity , its more like being hit by a train.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSuperman View Post
That is intense !

what is your protein/calories like right now?
Thanks man.

I'm not really sure to be honest. I am very consistent with my diet, but I have never calculated things. Maybe I should, but that has never been my style. Since I am consistent, it is easy to make changes (i.e. add some meat here, an extra egg there, etc.). I think it's about 50 grams of protein per meal (2 scoops of protein, 6 eggs, or 8-10 oz of meat) but sometimes it's more if I go to a restaurant and get a steak (about 3-4 times a week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer dave View Post
with this intensity , its more like being hit by a train.
I don't think you can replicate a trainwreck when you are pulling 350. Now when the bigger guys pull those insane weights, yea I'd say that's a good analogy. I can only imagine how Dante, Dusty, Homonuculous, and guys like that must feel after some higher rep deads with bigger weights. I would love to get to that place some time and find out...