Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
NPayette

Decline BP sharp pain.

Hi guys,

I'm not a big poster here but still I do read alot and I know there's some experience lifting with great knowledge.

I had an injury in my right shoulder during a powerlifting competition (amateur one) like 3 years ago. I started back lifting in 2008 and my right shoulder was O.K.! During the 2 years I had to compensate with my left arm for a lot of thing of everyday life.

Now the more I progress on decline movement, I seem to have a big pinching sensation in the junction of the shoulder and the trapezus.

The worst is on decline bp, but even flat pushing movement do have some of this pinching/pain.

Anybody has an idea what the hell is that? I can still push on it but I want to be safe.

Any idea is welcome.
Thanks,
N.

**no english isn't my primary langage, I'm from Canada, Quebec.(french)
NPayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
dice77
Heavyweight Member

There is a sticky by Dante that describes a stretch for shoulder pain. It really helped me!
dice77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
dropshot001
Banned

i assume that this pain is on your bad shoulder side? one of the things taht could be causing it could be that when you are pinching your shoulder blades together you might actually be shrugging your shoulders and pinching as opposed to keeping the shoulders down and pinching them together. i have been having neck problems on and off since about march and have found that just stretching the area and being very conscious of what my shoulders and head are doing on various exercises has helped to alleviate the sharp pain/pinching that i would get in this region. i hope this helps, i am by no means an expert.

your english is fine btw
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
NPayette

In fact the pain is on the other side then the one I have been injured.

And I did do the stretch with the stick religiously every upper body workout.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
NPayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
i assume that this pain is on your bad shoulder side? one of the things taht could be causing it could be that when you are pinching your shoulder blades together you might actually be shrugging your shoulders and pinching as opposed to keeping the shoulders down and pinching them together. i have been having neck problems on and off since about march and have found that just stretching the area and being very conscious of what my shoulders and head are doing on various exercises has helped to alleviate the sharp pain/pinching that i would get in this region. i hope this helps, i am by no means an expert.

your english is fine btw
You are right, I think!

When on decline I do put my shoulder blade together (I got to be ready firm on any pressing movement as my shoulder is still not 100%) but when I unrack the bar I feel the weight pushing my shoulder down doing a kind of shrugging movement.

What do you suggest in order to fix that?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
phil baloni

I have a similar impingement problem. What's worked for me is religious SMR. I would try starting with a tennis ball, pressing against it standing on the point where it hurts, and rolling through the whole area, do the same thing laying down. I use a lacrosse ball now but doing this before every workout where pressing is involved, even off days to start, has helped. If it's a soft tissue injury or even a nerve impingement issue it should be of some help. Good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
NPayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil baloni View Post
I have a similar impingement problem. What's worked for me is religious SMR. I would try starting with a tennis ball, pressing against it standing on the point where it hurts, and rolling through the whole area, do the same thing laying down. I use a lacrosse ball now but doing this before every workout where pressing is involved, even off days to start, has helped. If it's a soft tissue injury or even a nerve impingement issue it should be of some help. Good luck
I am not familiar with SMR. Can you point me to some visual?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
cobra_archer

SMR is selfmyofacial release. Just youtube it and you will see. Its similar to using a foam roller. I do not have the links but joe defranco has a upper body warm up on youtube that incorperated a circuit of shoulder stretches, one is the broomstick stretch. Im not sure what insurance you have but find a chiropractor that uses ART (active release treatment) this has helped me alot with my impingement. Before you see a chiro I would let an ortho. doctor give you a check up.
Good luck
cobra_archer is offline   Reply With Quote