Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Skip's Round Table Romper Room

Skip's Round Table Romper Room Bodybuilding secrets of the elite revealed! Watch how these hand-picked bodybuilding contest prep experts from several different bodybuilding boards exchange and debate contest prep issues, diets, weight lifting, posing, competition concerns and concepts and much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Erikjr21

Wink only dumbells and machines

Hello My name is Erik and I had a question. I am a landscaper and work past when the more full equiped gym closes so I can only use a smaller gym with dumbells,, machines and a place for dips and pull ups/chin ups. I recenly got done working out for about 7 weeks on a 3 day split of.....
monday legs
wendsday chest and tri's
and friday arms and backs

I also worked my abs twice a week

I utilized wieghted dips, pull ups, cable rows, leg press and db squats along with some isolation exersices with cables and dumbells

I am 150 pounds 5'9 and take in about 150 200 grams of protien through whole foods and a 3 way mix of protien powder Im not sure my bf% my abs show but i do have a bit of belly fat. I don't do specific cardio just play pick up games of basket ball

any ways my question is do you have good routine to recomend I could try for about 8 weeks or so to work towards a goal of putting on muscle with this info. I should also ad I like to work out for a good intense 45 minutes 3 to 4 days a week to keep what time I can with my family.

I love the site and just thought id thow out this info and question and also give a hi from the oregon coast. ps sorry about any bad spelling or puntuation you had to endure

Last edited by Erikjr21; 06-13-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Erikjr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
FightingScott
Middleweight Member

What machines are available to you?

I wouldn't bother with Dumbbell Squats. Too light. Dumbbell Lunges would be a better choice. It kind of baffles me that you're in a situation where you can get to a Leg Press but you cannot get to a Barbell. Most cities have at least a half dozen 24 hour gyms. Both Dorian Yates in the 1993 Olympia and Kevin Levrone in the 1999 English Grand Prix showed up with some monster quads - and they didn't do the Barbell Squat.

You can pretty much do almost any bodybuilding program without barbells. You'll be fine for your Upper Body. Dumbbell Rows, Dumbbell Shoulder Presses, Dumbbell Lateral Raises, Dumbbell Upright Rows, Dumbbell Shrugs, Dumbbell Bench Press or Dumbbell Floor Press, Cable Rows, Weighted Dips, and Weighted Chins should be enough if that's all you can get to.

For your Hamstrings you can do CV Deadlifts and Pull-Throughs with your Cable Row Machine. You can also do Dumbbell RDLs.

For Quads, you've got the Leg Press. It would be nice if you had a Hack Squat too but it doesn't sound like you do. Dumbbell Lunges for High Reps with as heavy a weight as you can handle. Bulgarian Split Squats would be good too.

Don't know how heavy your Dumbbells go up to. If they only go up to 80 pounds or something like that, then you're gonna have to start doing some exercises for very high reps. If 80lb dumbbells is all you have at your disposal, then you're looking at doing Dumbbell RDLs for 50+ reps. Weighted Chins and Weighted Dips shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to get creative and do some pretty unorthodox things for your lower body if you can't Squat.

If you add 200 pounds to what you're using for the Leg Press, add 25 pounds to what you're using for Chins, and add 45 pounds to what you're using for dips, you will be bigger by the end of the summer.
FightingScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Erikjr21

wow that was a really great response all look in to all that. your right I will have to get creative for legs there is a leg curl machine no hack squat machine, and all concentrate on lunges rather then db squats. I live in a small town and there is no 24 hour gym for hours just one here that closes at 6, witch is ridiculous. what do you think about jump squats?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
FightingScott
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikjr21 View Post
wow that was a really great response all look in to all that. your right I will have to get creative for legs there is a leg curl machine no hack squat machine, and all concentrate on lunges rather then db squats. I live in a small town and there is no 24 hour gym for hours just one here that closes at 6, witch is ridiculous. what do you think about jump squats?
Jump Squats and Plyometrics will do absolutely nothing for size. If you have a plate-loaded Leg Press and you do good, deep reps with your feet close and low like Dorian Yates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jq8HZ6_Y6A

And you make big PRs then your Quads should grow. If you just have a pansy, selector leg press that only goes up to 500, then you can do your reps with one leg at a time. Or occasionally do 50 or 100 rep sets. Between Leg Presses and Single-Legged Leg Work like Lunges or Bulgarian Split Squats, you'd be doing the best with what you've got for Quads.

Between Leg Curls, doing Hamstring Stuff with the Low Cable Row, and the Lunges and Leg Presses you'll already be doing for Quads, your Hamstrings should also grow.

You don't have an ideal set-up. But you do have enough available to you in order to grow. Don't get caught up with stuff like Sprints, Med-Balll Tosses, Plyos, and Jump Squats if your goal is to gain muscle mass. Keep it simple.

Monday, Thursday: Upper Body
Weighted Dips
Weighted Chins
Dumbbell Floor Press
DD Handle Cable Rows
Dumbbell Lateral Raise

Tuesday, Friday: Lower Body
Leg Press
Dumbbell Lunge
Dumbbell RDL
Leg Curl
Hanging Leg Raise

There. Every muscle in your body will be worked with this program. As far as sets and reps go, just warm up and then do 1 good straight. Break old PRs all the time. Just do straight sets: no drop sets, no rest-pause sets, none of that stuff just yet.

Since you're a buck fifty, the most important thing for you right now is to learn how to eat a lot of food (that means more than 3 meals a day - and every meal has protein), learn how to be aggressive so you can break PRs, and learn how to be consistent (don't miss meals, don't miss workouts, don't miss sleep, don't smoke opium, etc)
Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Erikjr21

I have been working out for 6 to 8 weeks then taking a week off and starting again id like to start this for awile on monday thanks. I havent done a split like this working body parts twice a week but im excited, There is a bench that adjust should I change the floor db press in to a bench db press? or is floor what you recomend. There is also a machine for shoulder presses that adjust in to more of a incline for chest, should I work on that? so just one set of each? what would you recomend for the warm up just 2 or 3 light sets?

thanks for the responses I think they will help me out. Yeah I try to eat 6 times a day or around every 2 to 3 hours and have 20 to 30 grams of protien each meal and will stay as focosed as I can to continue to do that. So I will try this for a couple months and thanks also for the advice on the jump squats. Oh I had one question I have been doing my pull ups with a wide grip and palms facing away from body, is this what you mean? sorry I always get chin ups and pull ups backwards.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
FightingScott
Middleweight Member

Bump up protein to 50 grams a meal if you're eating every 3 hours.

I prefer floor presses just because I have something to make contact with so I know I'm going deep enough. I know that I'll cheat and make choppy, half reps if I choose flat dumbbell bench. But that's just me. Do whatever you want. I just didn't know if you had a bench. It's really not that important. Dips will be a lot more important for adding size.

This machine shoulder press or incline press or whatever. Look, just do no more than two heavy pressing exercises on your upper body day. You've got Dips then you've got whatever else you feel like doing. If you want to do Incline Machine Press, or Incline Dumbbell Press, or Dumbbell Bench Press, or Dumbbell Floor Press it doesn't matter. Just pick something and improve on it.

Warming up is something most everyone learns to do instinctively. Figure it out yourself. For upper body days you might want to do some very light rear delt work, then to warm up the chest/shoulders/triceps do a few bodyweight dips before moving into your working set. Then when you've done dips you do a few bodyweight pull-ups to warm-up the back and biceps before moving into your working set. No more warm-up needed. Stretch after your workout.

For Lower Body Warm-up concentrate on warming up the hips. If you've ever played a sport where you used your legs, then remember some of the stuff you did to warm-up.

Because I've done a Weighted Pull-up with 140lbs around my waist, I feel like I can say this with some authority: There is no goddamn difference between a chin-up and a pull-up. Do whatever you want. Really. Put your hands straight up and grab the bar with whatever kind of grip you want. Pick the grip you're strongest with. Use a shoulder width grip that's slightly wider than what you would use for a Close-Grip Bench Press: the grip that will allow you to use the most weight.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Erikjr21

ok thanks, just the answers I was looking for, I started monday for upper body and I'll use this information to make any tweaks today. I just warmed up with push ups and body wieght pull ups and dips so I gues I got it right there and all follow your advice and just do warm ups like I did for conditioning in high school. All bring my grip in on pull ups and go for just breaking pr with wieght. I'll make sure I get 50 grams if I eat every 3 hours thanks for that to. Thanks for all the really great help all run with it.