Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
PTAaron
Intense Muscle Vet

Exclamation How to tell if someone is on steroids - by Mens Health

I admit, I read Men's Health... it has good articles in it about things not related to training - the training articles are a joke... Well I was going through this month's issue and was reading the "Hey, Muscle Guy!" section by Lou Schuler, MH Fitness Director ... page 58 ... this is a section where people write in questions to Lou... The rest of this is a quote from the July/August 2004 Men's Health...
Quote:
Q: Is there any way to tell if someone is using steroids?

A: I can tell a guy's on steroids if he can lift more than I can, or if he develops a Neanderthal forehead.
These are more scientific signs:
>Rapid increase in strength and muscle mass, and a loss of body fat, in an advanced lifter. The price you pay for maximal size and strength is extra body fat... unless you give yourself the BALCO Boost.
>Outsized development of the muscles surrounding the shoulder girdle - the lats, trapezius, pectorals, and deltoids. Guys who aren't on steroids can develop terrific physiques, but a natural lifter won't end up with freaky shoulders.
>Impressive vascularity on really big muscles. Guys can get veiny and ripped, or they can get huge and kind of smooth, but they can't get huge and veiny without some help.
Okay, my first response when reading this was to laugh... but then I was thinking about it and it really pisses me off that this guy is such an idiot and passing himself off as an expert.
People with big pecs, lats, etc must be on steroids? Ooookay...
You can't be big and ripped at the same time? Has this guy ever heard of diet?
Apparently he hasn't heard of DCs workout plan... I know plenty of people who are doing it naturally and gaining size and strength despite being advanced lifters...

Just wanted to put this up to see what you guys thought...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Last edited by PTAaron; 06-28-2004 at 11:40 AM.
PTAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
bigp3
Light-heavyweight Member

it just goes to prove what kind of idiots there are out there. I heard a sports reporter on the radio the other night talking about a way to tell is when people get angry all the time and start beating people up (roid rage). I guess this is why you see so many guys at the gym getting in fights and why Ronnie Coleman and Barry Bonds are always kicking peoples asses,,, lol. Give me a fucking break!!

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"
bigp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
Massive G
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

I would say that Men's Fitness is a Fag Mag but that'd be an insult to gay folks....Just pure and utter garbage

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle"

MG "Testosterone Booster"
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
USMuscle9403
Banned

AWESOME! Looks like I have someone to email and bitch at this morning, lol. Hold on you guys, I'll look his email addy up right quick and post it here...lol
USMuscle9403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
USMuscle9403
Banned

My email, lol

Someone posted your article on an internet bodybuilding board where you described how to tell if someone is on steroids. Needless to say, I laughed. I laughed a lot. In fact, why in the hell is Men's Health still a magazine? Why is it still in circulation? The lies spread in your fag mag that you write for are absolutely incredible. Here is a little breakdown for what was wrong in your article...

"Q: Is there any way to tell if someone is using steroids?

A: I can tell a guy's on steroids if he can lift more than I can, or if he develops a Neanderthal forehead."

- I sincerely hope you are kidding. If not, how can you stand yourself to be that egotistical? If someone all of a sudden develops a Neanderthal forehead, then yes, that can definitely be a sign of juice use. I give you that.

">Rapid increase in strength and muscle mass, and a loss of body fat, in an advanced lifter. The price you pay for maximal size and strength is extra body fat... unless you give yourself the BALCO Boost."

- So what you are saying to me is that no advanced lifter can put on muscle and lose/maintain bodyfat at the same time? Excuse me sir, but you're full of shit. I utilize a program called DC training. I have been training for 7 years totally clean the entire time, yet using this training I have gained 22 pounds with, at most, a 1% increase in bodyfat. The only reason I increased is because I did not do cardio on off-days like the program suggests. Hmm...steroids in my protein powder I'm buying? I think not...

">Outsized development of the muscles surrounding the shoulder girdle - the lats, trapezius, pectorals, and deltoids. Guys who aren't on steroids can develop terrific physiques, but a natural lifter won't end up with freaky shoulders."

- I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous comments that I have EVER read about training, and trust me...I've read some bullshit. So who are you to say that a natural trainee can not develop huge, round delts and a huge upper body all together? You are implying that a natural trainee can develop a freaky lower body, but can NOT develop a freaky upper body. What the hell is the difference? Or do you not know? Or is this just some sort of brain fart that you had to throw in there like with the rest of Men's Health articles?

">Impressive vascularity on really big muscles. Guys can get veiny and ripped, or they can get huge and kind of smooth, but they can't get huge and veiny without some help."

- Again, I REALLY pray that you don't have any kids...because anyone ignorant enough to make a statement like that should be given the death sentence. Man, do I ever wish bullshit advice was a crime! When I cut down at my 5'6", 228 lbs, I have some very vascular quads and calves. Hell, my quads and calves are even vascular now at 15% bodyfat. Does this mean I am secretly juicing and not even I know it?!?!? Wow...I'm really glad that you enlightened me about my own doings, because I had NO idea!

Conclusion: You are insanely jealous of dedicated bodybuilders. The magazine you write for is a piece of trash that should have never circulated and every copy should be burned. I can not believe what I just read from your article...so I needed to write you to make sure you are not going absolutely insane. I'm afraid it's too late for that, though. My advice...quit your day job, and take up something else, because you suck at life. Have a nice day.

Allen

A young, dedicated bodybuilder that thinks you're full of it
Old 06-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Massive G
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

Wow...You really took some time on that one Allen.I remember when I used to have that much energy.Good job

FH

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle"

MG "Testosterone Booster"
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
KillerStack

Quote:
Originally posted by USMuscle9403
">Outsized development of the muscles surrounding the shoulder girdle - the lats, trapezius, pectorals, and deltoids. Guys who aren't on steroids can develop terrific physiques, but a natural lifter won't end up with freaky shoulders."

- I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous comments that I have EVER read about training, and trust me...I've read some bullshit. So who are you to say that a natural trainee can not develop huge, round delts and a huge upper body all together? You are implying that a natural trainee can develop a freaky lower body, but can NOT develop a freaky upper body. What the hell is the difference? Or do you not know? Or is this just some sort of brain fart that you had to throw in there like with the rest of Men's Health articles?

While I agree it's bullshit you can't develop the shoulder area without drugs there's a grain of truth here.
The trapezius area and shoulders,particularly the rear delt area,is dense with androgen receptors and androgens make this area hypertrophy to a greater extent.I know for myself that steroids give you a wider shouldered look that is not just due to training.
It is but one clue but obviously not proof that someone is on androgens.
KillerStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
nemo
Lightweight Member

reading "health" related magazines or discussing anything training related with the average joe just seems like a source of pointless frustration to me and i just avoid both
Old 06-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
vanilla gorilla
Intense Muscle Gourmet Chef

Total bullshit. I have piddled with gear in my younger days, but for the most part all of my training has been natural. My shoulders, shoulder girdle, lat area has always been impressive. The crap these people come up with. And you know Men's Health is like the poster rag for the majority of men who don't use aas. So now everytime these "swimmer physique star wannabees" see someone with some good width and delt development I guess to them that will mean we walk around 24/7 with a needle in our ass. No such thing as hard work huh?
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
Trulyhuge
Intense Muscle Vet

You know what really bugs me w/ articles such is this is not just the utter stupidity but the message it sends to people close to you(g/f, wife, brother, sister, etc). Now, I would have no problem with articles such as this if..1-the hit on the pro's and not just the cons and ...2-they had someone who KNEW what they were talking about! My $.02.

TH
(SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!
Trulyhuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #12
nemo
Lightweight Member

is it annoying?

sure it is but what i find even more annoying is that some jackass will read mens health or some training book written by a self proclaimed training "expert" and then they feel they know more about training than i do and that everything i say must be wrong because i disaggree with something actually professionally printed. whoa that must make the information correct

jackasses
Old 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
USMuscle9403
Banned

EXACTLY! I deal with that on a daily basis, nemo. Especially the whole 'your body can only digest 20-30g protein at each meal' bullshit. In fact, if you look on their website, it actually has an article about the 'myths of bodybuilding'. Myth #2 was that eating more protein builds more muscle. Uhm...yea, tell all us that's a myth. Another 'myth' was to not exercise a sore muscle. They said if muscles are not sore to the touch, then you can workout hard again. Yet another they claimed was a myth is stretching to prevent injuries. They said that was only true if you're a figure skater . But I swear, if I ever am giving someone diet advice and tell them that they should be eating more protein at each meal, it never fails to turn into an argument that the body can only digest so much protein and anything over 1 gram per pound of LEAN body ass is wasted. Yea OK
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #14
ctgblue
Heavyweight Member

You should have written him and said
"how to tell if a guy is on steroids: If he reads your stupid piece of crap article, gets enraged, stalks you for a month, then murders you in your sleep"!

Was that harsh, sorry, must be the roid rage!!!!!!!!!!
mod at iron-forum.com
mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
"Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"
ctgblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
Grammostola
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigginHuge
I would say that Men's Fitness is a Fag Mag but that'd be an insult to gay folks....Just pure and utter garbage

I just love ur sense of humor
Grammostola is offline   Reply With Quote