Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Ravemaster

has anyone tried dips for the chest? (done with a forward lean to target the chest)

I used to do these on Max-OT and I want to include them in my DC split, what do you all think of doing these at 11-15 RP (maybe 15-20 if that's a bit rough), do any of you have experience with this particular exercise?
Ravemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
DuckDuckGoose
Super-heavyweight Member

dips are a fantastic exercise, however, if you want to use them in your dc split, you should make them one of your tricep exercises, and pick a different chest exercise, i.e. incline smith press, incline hammer press, decline smith press, etc. etc. i think you should include the dips, but you would be benefiting yourself with more mass if you make them a tricep choice rather than a chest choice. just my .2 cents, hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Ravemaster

thanx 4 the reply but exactly y not for the chest?

My intention was to use them for both tris AND the chest, doing them upright when I want to hit the tris (prolly on a machine since that enables me to use a more narrow grip) and then doing them with a forward lean when I want to hit the chest (using a free-weight dip stand where the handles are a bit more wide grip)

With that having been cleared up, would you still consider this a bad idea?
Ravemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
MoGeaYuglay
Middleweight Member

personally, i wouldn't do them for chest.

HOWEVER, that's me, not you.

If you truly believe that dips done in that fashion work your chest quite well, and you can safely increase your resistance with that exercise in the rapid fashion that DC requires, then by all means, go for it. My shoulders probably couldn't handle that, but if yours can and you feel the exercise fulfills the said criteria, again, go for it.
MoGeaYuglay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
deadlift0
Super-heavyweight Member

Just use a pressing movement for chest and include dips for tri's. Your chest is going to be worked in the dips no matter what.l

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can use my TrueProtein Discount code:JSG87

yeah, that's where I saw JT... the airport... do try and pay attention, old chap -RedSkull

WOW! If I were a cannibal DC is getting ketchup all over his boobies! -Future

I tell you I want to choke out most of the gym goers I see...- In-Human
deadlift0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
deadlift0
Super-heavyweight Member

Heres a quote from Dante

You know, I see alot of guys in this forum freaking out about their weaker bodyparts with the 2 day split (mon wed fri) and every time I see these posts I think "dont these guys think this stuff out?".....but maybe its my fault and my brain works a certain way and some of you guys think more on a straight and narrow view. (please dont take that as a putdown--its constructive criticism

This is pretty simple guys, it really is.

If your chest is weak what does that mean? That means you
a) find the 3 most productive exercises that you can rotate for your chest and rest pause them (as you already knew)
b) and that means for triceps you put your 3 rotated exercises as dips, close grip bench presses, and reverse grip bench presses or any other exercise that secondarily will also hit your chest--its just that simple. If you are rest pausing incline barbell presses, decline barbell presses, and hammer strength presses as your rotated chest exercises and hitting dips, close grips and reverse grips for your triceps (and secondarily chest) exercises, and its not responding TRUST ME--the problem lies in something else your doing (diet is way off, overtraining, low testosterone levels, the worst chest genetics known to man)

and its up to you the individual to figure out your body and how you percieve your weak bodyparts--and think it out on how to set up this attack.

Traps arent up to snuff? Gee what does that mean? Ill tell you what that means to me...that means your three rotated back thickness exercises are floor deadlifts, rack deadlifts, sumo rack deadlifts, or hammer machine deadlifts. What is that going to give you? huge traps and a back that is as thick as a brick

Biceps not up to snuff? Whats that mean to me? You find the 3 most prolific bicep exercises to rotate obviously and then I would probably have you do undergrip assisted chins, undergrip pulldowns and maybe something similiar for your third rotated back width exercise or maybe I would have one of your back thickness exercises really hit your biceps hard in place of the 3rd width exercise (example: you do wide rack chins on that day but for back thickness (and biceps) you do t-bar rows or seated cable rows with a close grip parallel grip)

Hamstrings suck? Well that means your probably going to end up doing heavy lunges somewhere in your quad exercises. Shoulders suck? Well maybe that means close grip, high incline bench presses find their way into your tricep exercises among other things

This really isnt that hard guys if you think it out. I can give you a basic outline to all this as Ive felt Ive done, but I cant go thru your individual bodies and tell you what I would do. Look in the mirror, figure out what needs to come up and start developing an overlapping gameplan.
Why do my personal trainees seem to develop pretty evenly? Because I try to think out this stuff by their pictures and what they tell me. I switch them to exercises I think will take care of weak areas and to secondary exercises that I feel will do the same. Thats your job--your job is to figure out what you need to be doing exercise wise. If your triceps absolutely suck dont you think doing deep dips for one of your chest exercises might be alot better than the decline cable flyes you are currently doing?
I see some guys in this forum just going with the thought "well im just going to do what that guy over there does" Huh? That guys chest, shoulders and triceps are awesome, while your chest sucks. His back width is awful though and your back width is by far your best bodypart. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING EXACTLY WHAT HE IS DOING? Sit down and figure out what you need to be doing on the 2 way split to get weak bodyparts moving along with your strong bodyparts. I hope you guys take this post and really think about what im trying to relay here and this post helps you start fixing the particulars as it pertains to your body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can use my TrueProtein Discount code:JSG87

yeah, that's where I saw JT... the airport... do try and pay attention, old chap -RedSkull

WOW! If I were a cannibal DC is getting ketchup all over his boobies! -Future

I tell you I want to choke out most of the gym goers I see...- In-Human
deadlift0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Sgt Pain
Light-heavyweight Member

^^ nuf said.

Just eatin and liftin you know?
Sgt Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
betito
Light-heavyweight Member

After having tried everything i found that nothing gives me mass in the chest like dips, itīs also a very good exercise to become very strong
betito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
KidRok
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

I've used them for chest and love it, they are a great exercise when using a dip belt and extra weight.
Try an 11-15 rep range but if your shoulders get sore go to 15-20.

KidRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Thot
Bantamweight Member

I like dips for chest and find them safe to add load using a belt.

Just take it if you feel itīs doing good work for your chest and you can make constant progress in load, donīt overthink it.

In fact dips (wide grip, lean forward) are something like a decline press.
Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
the_king_ttb

And don't forget that when you gain weight throughout the blast, you are adding load also.
the_king_ttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #12
woodbear
Middleweight Member

Dante`s advice mentioned earlier helped tons. I designed this entire blast based around those ideas, and everything is balancing out fine, and gains are the best for any blast (adding some credit to the supplements I tried too. all legal ones..just to avoid confusion)
My pecs grow by just looking at a bench, but triceps kinda suck, but doing dips as chest exercise and tplr or skullcrushers as triceps exercise the same workout has done wonders this blast.
I also incline and decline smith bench with a fairly close grip too, but nowhere as close as a closegrip bench.
Also, close grip benches are one of my favorite exercises after I started doing them with my ass of the end of the bench!
woodbear is offline   Reply With Quote