Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

Pavel Tsatsouline routines

Has anyone ever done any of Pavel's routines or ones that he recommends? I have read a few of his articles and his theories are pretty interesting.

Thanks in advance for any input
HouseOfAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Rmenyin27
Lightweight Member

I haven't...(ha, this may not even help!)...but my uncle has a trainer who does just about every Pavel routine (kettleball style), and he loves it!

I also work with two people who train their clients mainly with kettleballs (i hope that's what Pavel routines you're talking about)...and they've had great results as far as strength gains go with every person they've trained...and it looks to be a nice change of pace from the regular weights...

I would try it...but something about swinging that ball in crazy directions makes my sciatic nerve cringe...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rmenyin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
RedSkull
TEAMSKIP.net web designer

His stuff is really good. The book Beyond Bodybuilding is well worth a read.

to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

- shirt/tank designs by RedSkull, as worn by IFBB Pros!
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

Rmenyin27 - Yes, I was talking about the kettlebells, also. I have been to one kettlebell class here in Minnesota and it was a crazy workout. It is a total body workout and I liked it just as much as weight training. Although, kettlebells cost quite a bit.

RedSkull - I just bought it a couple days ago. The routines in there are pretty unique. I'm doing the DeLorme method right now. Just started it yesterday, actually. We'll see how it goes
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
NDiNardo
Lightweight Member

He has some interesting methods. I have his book "Power to the People". It is geared toward gaining functional strentgh rather than bodybuilding/gaining size. One guy at my gym follows his routines and swears buy it. He is a little guy, but he can pull like a MOFO!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDiNardo View Post
He has some interesting methods. I have his book "Power to the People". It is geared toward gaining functional strentgh rather than bodybuilding/gaining size. One guy at my gym follows his routines and swears buy it. He is a little guy, but he can pull like a MOFO!
A lot of his stuff is geared towards strength, but some of it is geared toward hypertrophy. Like the method I'm doing right now (DeLorme method) is meant for hardgainers who can't gain weight. The workout routine is nothing hard like DC training, but the idea behind it is interesting.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
NDiNardo
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
A lot of his stuff is geared towards strength, but some of it is geared toward hypertrophy. Like the method I'm doing right now (DeLorme method) is meant for hardgainers who can't gain weight. The workout routine is nothing hard like DC training, but the idea behind it is interesting.
I'm glad you started this thread. It got me to revisit "Power to the People".
What is the DeLorme method like? In "PTP" he covers what he calls the Russian commando muscle building workout. He does'nt give much detail other than:

1. reps 4-6 per set
2. 10-20 sets
3. terminate all sets a couple reps prior to failure

He also advocates one exercise only, the deadlift.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
RedSkull

Delorme is -

Monday - 50% of 10RM x5, 75% of 10RM x 5, 100% of 10RM x 5. Change the weights then do the next set. Perform as many 'series'/cycles through this until you can't make sets of 5.

Wed - 50% of 10RM x 5 x the number of series from Mon

Fri - like Weds but with 50% of 10RM and 75% of 10RM.

He says to do this on Bench and Deadlifts...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

NDiNardo - Thanks for that workout. I'll have to try that one after the one I'm on. I'm assuming you stop the workout once 4 reps for a set becomes a struggle, correct?

RedSkull - Have you done this routine? I was thinking about doing the original Delorme method were it calls for 10 reps of each set, but Pavel switched the rep scheme to 5 (his favorite number), so we'll see how this works out.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
NDiNardo
Lightweight Member

Quote:
NDiNardo - Thanks for that workout. I'll have to try that one after the one I'm on. I'm assuming you stop the workout once 4 reps for a set becomes a struggle, correct?

RedSkull - Have you done this routine? I was thinking about doing the original Delorme method were it calls for 10 reps of each set, but Pavel switched the rep scheme to 5 (his favorite number), so we'll see how this works out.
Yes. In the book it says that when you cannot lift a set in good form, call it a day.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
RedSkull

I didn't try it House. I did do the Smolov squat routine (the original not his) on Clean and Presses though...

Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
yehyeah
Lightweight Member

any routine that has a percentage of a 1rep max i totaly dissmiss and stop reading, along with any rouitine that u have to work anything out or carry a stop watch or sit on a ball etc etc

my favourite sexual position is .....next door !! - george bush!
yehyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
I didn't try it House. I did do the Smolov squat routine (the original not his) on Clean and Presses though...
How did that turn out for you? Did you hang clean or clean the weight from the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehyeah View Post
any routine that has a percentage of a 1rep max i totaly dissmiss and stop reading, along with any rouitine that u have to work anything out or carry a stop watch or sit on a ball etc etc
Why is that? I think almost all powerlifters do workouts where they use percentages in their workouts.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
yehyeah
Lightweight Member

Quote:
How did that turn out for you? Did you hang clean or clean the weight from the ground?

Why is that? I think almost all powerlifters do workouts where they use percentages in their workouts.

well i am a bodybuilder,, i dont know anything too technical just turns me off, ive never wanted to do a 1 rep max either

my favourite sexual position is .....next door !! - george bush!
yehyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehyeah View Post
well i am a bodybuilder,, i dont know anything too technical just turns me off, ive never wanted to do a 1 rep max either
Well, from the looks of your avatar, you are doing pretty well

On the other hand, I believe a lot of the powerlifters could easily compete in bodybuilding if they had the drive to get to a low bodyfat, which a lot of them don't care about. People say, "Well, fat helps lift weights". To a certain point, it does. But, I remember one time I got a little too heavy and my weights actually went down because I was sucking air too hard.