Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
bluto

Warming up the Knees?

When training DC stlye, how do you guys warmup for quads?

I have had trouble with my right patella tendon for over 3years now ( a old rugby injury ), and have always done quad extentions prior to squats etc to help warm both knees. I have found that this helped alot.
When doing both calves and hammstrings before quads on leg day, do you then go straight into squats or hacks etc??? Or is it ok to do some extentions first????
I would usually work up to the stack, do 30+ reps each set.
For me 6-8 full reps with knee wraps on squats would mean a work weight of 260kg, so i need my knees and quads warm and ready.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
N8IA
Lightweight Member

best thing that has worked for me. this is from a Dante post a while ago.
#1 shorts under my jogging pants
#2 menthol rub to the knees before you go out the door
#3 five min on the bike
#4 light stretches
#5 leg press one plate 30x 2 plates 20x 3 10x
little more stretch and i am ready to go.
N8IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
buldooser
Bantamweight Member

260kg for 8 reps, damn thats heavy. 245kg x5(full reps, high bar, with wraps and belt) is best I have done, but since I started dc my squat poundages are much lower they used to be.For me is really hard to squat heavy when I train hams before squat.
I feel that knee area is pretty warm after leg curls so I start with 60kg then 100 and so on. I am not trying to be an expert , but I think that if you feel that you have to do extensions to keep your knees healthy, then do it, hell, I start every workout with rev hypers.
buldooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Big Jay
Lightweight Member

I wear sweats over my shorts (I always wear shorts when working legs). I get on the bike for 5 minutes or so. Then i do some stretches. Not much more you can do really.
"I woke up one day and realized this world owes me nothing. If I stand here waiting for society to do me a solid, I will be waiting a long time. Moving to the bathroom, I looked in the mirror. Glaring into my own eyes I realized what I want in this life I am going to have to take. Work my hands to the bone for. Shed blood, cry tears, and make sacrifices along the way. I woke up this morning and for the first time, felt free..." - Me
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
HouseOfAtlas
Middleweight Member

I found out that when I stopped doing leg extensions, my knees got better.

Also, I would take your time and warm-up on the bike. There have been days where I just stayed on the bike for 10,15, or 20 minutes until I felt warmed up. You shouldn't really pick a time on how long you are on the bike. Just keep going until you feel "ready".

Living in Minnesota, I go for about 10 minutes on the bike during winter time compared to 3 or so minutes in the summer.
HouseOfAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
bluto

Knees

Thanks for the advice guys, I dont find doing hi-rep squats harder after hammies and calves( Have squated 340kg in a IPF powerlifting meet) but doing extentions after those two then squats has made workouts a bit long. Il have to try skipping them-i always use the bike before i begin any workout and wear long tights ( called "skins" over here, really awesome brand worn by runners) and neoprene knee things.

Its just my right knee thats the problem, done it back when i was like 85kg(190pnds) playing rugby and also used to do 100m track in summer- its called jumpers knee or sumthing.

Why does DC recommend doing hams and calves before quads? Is it to take those muscles out of the equation so that only the quads muscles are left to do the work during the squat? or??

Last edited by bluto; 02-02-2007 at 06:43 PM.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Massive G
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

I have alsways done the following to warm up the knees...
Worn Pants
Done 5 minutes of cardio-usually the elliptical or stepper
light leg extensions
done hamstrings first
(not big on the menthol rub because of the smell)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MG "Testosterone Booster"
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Massive G
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

And I can tell you that as someone who has had a completely torn patella tendon rupture (from a missed step on a winding stair case) surgery painful rehab..the above protocol works very well even now.

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle"

MG "Testosterone Booster"
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
MrDeflation

I like to do Pavel Tsatsouline joint warmups
MrDeflation is offline   Reply With Quote