Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Sparky
Heavyweight Member

Rocky Mtn BB Championships?

What happened at the Rocky? Was it a good show? How was the competition? Was it as deep as last year (unreal last year)?

Romans 1:16-17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 5% off products from trueprotein.com, use the discount code MWD888

100% doing it myself and 100% accountable for what I do. No excuses. -- Sparky

Find a seasoned mentor and learn. My biggest improvements have come not from hours of tedious research, but by listening to those who have been in the trenches -- Sparky

Judges expect muscle but respect conditioning -- Sparky
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

It is laaate so I will wait until Monday to get here about the show.

Skip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: TEAM SKIP
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Ken "Skip" Hill

Here is my take:

Pauline is a cutie. That about sums up the Rocky. Okay, just kidding, I guess there was more to the show than Pauline....

Let's see if other agree with me:

The winner of the open mens division was also the winner of the over 40 master division and his conditioning was off the hook. Hard as hell, full as hell and BALANCED conditioning from head to toe, front to back. Now, his legs were thin - he needs more size to balance out size from upper body to lower body and his waist was SLIGHTLY blocky but overall, the guy was DAMNED good. I was impressed. He was a heavyweight.

The middleweight division was probably the best division along with the heavies. The top two were very close. One with SIC wheels and conditioning (from Nebraska, I believe) but a thin chest and color that needed to be better. Posing also needed improvement. Chris Shrank (spelling?) was the most polished guy in the show, I think. All of his loose ends were tied - AWESOME posing, stage presence was flawless, color was good but it was dream tan so could have done with or without it but at least he DID know how to use the dream tan. Shape was great, conditioning was good but he was flat in the lower body and so he could have been tighter and fuller. That is probably my only negative for the guy and make no mistake, his conditioning WAS good - it just could have been better.

The women's bodybuilding was DEEP. The winner had a larger femoral artery than I do and she was in great shape and deserved her win.

Figure provided quite a large field and was deep, as well. I was particularly impressed with the over 40 women - absolutely beautiful. If I ever thought I didn't want to judge figure, I was dead wrong. Now, whether I was good at it is yet to be seen but it was certainly enjoyable.

I have to note that there was a 20 year old girl from Nebraska that will be making a name for herself very soon. Her name is Ali Huston and when she walked out, her back literally fell in the laps of the judges. I was glad I was test judging because I figured that we really weren't gonna know what to do with her. In MY opinion (based on my experience and certainly not as a judge), I thouht she was national level - balanced from head to toe and front to back, conditioned almost too well, hard as nails but she needed to not pose so much because when she did her back looked better than any of the bodybuilding competitors that were on stage and so did her delts and conditioning. She as vascular, as well, and that is a no-no at the state level from what I understand. Nevermind that she was drop dead beautiful, as well. If you hear the name Ali Huston in the future, know that you heard the name here and that we predicted that she would go on to be successful in the sport if she continues to compete.

As for myself, I enjoyed the day sitting on the panel and I THINK I did well but I will have to wait and see. There were a couple calls that I thought "hey, I didn't have that person in the top 5", etc., but I still think I did well for the most part. Let me tell you, though, that EVERY competitor should have the chance to see just how hard it is to judge a show from the judges table. It is a completely different ballgame and gives me a new found respect for the job that the judges do. I have always respected the judges and their decisions but this gave me a completely different perspective.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
homonunculus
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

Skip,

Nice report. I have a friend who is an NPC judge and *long* time competitor. She says its absolutely exhausting. Another couple friends judge on occasion and when they do, they're usually not up for doing much after the shows b/c they're so worn out.

BTW, I think you meant saphenous vein not femoral artery wrt that female competitor, unless you were getting *really* frisky with her... LOL

-R

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's
homonunculus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Ken "Skip" Hill

Here is a picture of what I am referring to so tell me if this is not the femoral artery. Apparently, I may be wrong.

Skip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image550.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	14834  

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625

Skip, I wish I had your life.

Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Here is a picture of what I am referring to so tell me if this is not the femoral artery. Apparently, I may be wrong.

Skip
I am telling you right now that if I, the idiot, end up being right and you, the swollen brain, are wrong I am going to do cart wheels. You know that, right?

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich
Skip, I wish I had your life.
I thought you said my "wife". lol I was thinking "bold move, bro".

: )

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
FatBoy
Heavyweight Member

Quote:

Skip

FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Mr. Banjo
Intense Muscle Vet

Quote:

Skip
Mr. Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Ken "Skip" Hill

Isaac Hinds (LiftStudios.com) was doing the photography and I am SURE he was able to get some badass pictures. I will have to try to hit him up for a few, shortly.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Mr. Banjo
Intense Muscle Vet

It's always interesting to get a look at things from the other side of the fence. Sounds like it was a good experience for you Skip. Hope it works out!

Banjo
Mr. Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
Ken "Skip" Hill

It is definately something I am interested in continuing, for sure.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
deadlift0
Super-heavyweight Member

So are u considering this as a side project.

You can use my TrueProtein Discount code:JSG87

yeah, that's where I saw JT... the airport... do try and pay attention, old chap -RedSkull

WOW! If I were a cannibal DC is getting ketchup all over his boobies! -Future

I tell you I want to choke out most of the gym goers I see...- In-Human
deadlift0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #15
homonunculus

Quote:
I am telling you right now that if I, the idiot, end up being right and you, the swollen brain, are wrong I am going to do cart wheels. You know that, right?

Skip
I'm torn, Skipper.

On the one hand, I know how much you would enjoy knowing that you called me on something (it would be great fun... You, my friend, are highly entertaining when you're gloating... LOL)

On the other hand, I think you'd like to know the real deal, too...

The femoral artery is the counterpart to the (great) saphenous vein anatomically. The big vein running on the anterior medial thigh is the great saphenous vein.

The femoral artery runs deep to the great saphenous vein (underneath it).

You can see the outline of the greater saphenous vein (like other subcutanous veins sometimes), but you could really only tell how large someone's femoral artery is if you palpate it, which is usually done by pressing around for it up in someone's crotch (e.g., like when getting a femoral pulse).

But hey, maybe you really did mean the femoral artery....(?).. LOL

-R

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
SweatMachine
Super Moderator

Location: If my foot was up your ass, you'd know exactly where I was !
Quote:

Skip

now THATS funny

That which we manifest lies before us.
SweatMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #17
SweatMachine
Super Moderator

Location: If my foot was up your ass, you'd know exactly where I was !
Quote:
Originally Posted by homonunculus
I'm torn, Skipper.

On the one hand, I know how much you would enjoy knowing that you called me on something (it would be great fun... You, my friend, are highly entertaining when you're gloating... LOL)

On the other hand, I think you'd like to know the real deal, too...

The femoral artery is the counterpart to the (great) saphenous vein anatomically. The big vein running on the anterior medial thigh is the great saphenous vein.

The femoral artery runs deep to the great saphenous vein (underneath it).

You can see the outline of the greater saphenous vein (like other subcutanous veins sometimes), but you could really only tell how large someone's femoral artery is if you palpate it, which is usually done by pressing around for it up in someone's crotch (e.g., like when getting a femoral pulse).

But hey, maybe you really did mean the femoral artery....(?).. LOL

-R
I 'll take it from here Randy-----

SCHOOLED, SUCKAAAAAAA !!!

That which we manifest lies before us.
SweatMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #18
ParadiseCup
Intense Muscle Competitor

Skip pretty much summed it up...

the Men's bodybuilding had very good class winners and only a few of the classes went deep
ParadiseCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:

-R
Well..... then, uhhh..... that's EXACTLY what I was doing, then...

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #20
homonunculus

Quote:
Well..... then, uhhh..... that's EXACTLY what I was doing, then...

Skip
Damn, I'm thinking I might be interested in this NPC judging thing... LOL

Sounds like she must have had a strong pulse, eh?... LOL

-R

Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
homonunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatMachine
I 'll take it from here Randy-----

SCHOOLED, SUCKAAAAAAA !!!

LOL at Sweaty...

-R

Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #22
HELLA SWOLE
IM Veteran Member

Get pics of the figure girl you are talking about. Oh, and if/when I ever make it to visit in Denver, you better set up a little rendezvous with this pretty little thing.....we are close in age

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at
; Order 16lbs or more, and you get
10% off!!!
HELLA SWOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #23
Ken "Skip" Hill

You never know, she may end up here at IM. *shrug*

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #24
IslandGirl
Intense Muscle Competitor

Quote:
Damn, I'm thinking I might be interested in this NPC judging thing... LOL

Sounds like she must have had a strong pulse, eh?... LOL

-R
When would like to "test judge" Randy???
IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #25
Sissy
Mrs. Skip

Wait wait.....who wants the wife? I missed some of it....Oh-well.

Skip thinks you are so smart R. You know everyone calls it that though.

Sissy
Sissy is offline   Reply With Quote