Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
blown
Bantamweight Member

Cybex donkey calf raise machine

The gym I go to on Sundays has this machine. My regular gym does not have a donkey calf machine.

I came to the realization that I have *never* seen anybody use this machine correctly. Everybody I've seen use it does some sort of hack squat movement, pushing with the balls of their feet of course. It looks like murder on their knees. Fast movements, lots of bouncing, etc.

Do people do this in your gym? I've go to two different YMCAs on Sundays and this is all I've seen at both of them. Usually it's younger guys - teens to early 20's.
blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
fade
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor

Not sure which machine this is, I think i have an idea of which one you mean - but i just called it the angled calf machine. Anyways, do you have a picture of could you describe it in more detail?
fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
blown
Bantamweight Member

http://www.usedgymequipment.com/images/cybex_dcalf.jpg

It rides on a slide similar to a hack squat (but on a much smaller scale), you place the balls of your feet on the foot rest and sit down. Your back ends up at ~45°F to your legs.

I've seen many people just jump on it and do "squats" on it.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
fade
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitor

yes thats the exact one i was thinking of. I agree, every single person i've seen doing calves on this tend to bounce with their knees more than with their calves. With the exception of a few.
fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Mrfitness81

I have a similar machine in my gym. The key to using this is not to go too heavy and try to keep the knees still, which if your using DC style calf training you probably won't anyway.

I find using my hands to keep my knees fixed (with a slight bend in them) helps so i can just focus on flexing the foot works for me, you really feel it in the soleus.
Mrfitness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
goliath23
Heavyweight Member

I love that machine. I have something similar to that at my gym. I would definitly recomend people to use it. You can really pille on the weight here

Oh ya and its more like a hack squat machine calf than a donkey calf machine
goliath23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Ucast

Wish my gym had it.
Ucast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
BIX
Intense Muscle Competitor

yea we have one of those at my gym too...hits the calf great...teenage kids do tend to hang around and see who can press the whole rack one time...idiots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
blown
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade
yes thats the exact one i was thinking of. I agree, every single person i've seen doing calves on this tend to bounce with their knees more than with their calves. With the exception of a few.
I actually meant that people don't even realize it's a calf machine and use it for quads. It's kind of funny, kind of annoying, and w/ the sheer # of people I've seen do this I was wondering if anybody else sees it used on purpose as a quad exercise, or do people in my gym just not know how to use machines? lol