Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
ballz 2da wallz

Calf Exercises

I only have two calf exercises to rotate between in my blast because there really aren't many calf exercises to do. I have Calf Raises on the Leg Press, and standing Calf Raises and my gym has no other calf exercises what so ever so I dont know what to do about it. Are there any other calf exercise suggestions guys? or should I simply rotate between these two exercises only?

thx
ballz 2da wallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Dirty Harry

Possibly do standing calf raises with the squat bar and stand on a box to stretch your calves at the bottom. Besides that I realy do not know what elese to tell you.

Don't cry just get the DAMN weight up!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
ballz 2da wallz

Thanks for replyin bro but that would be just like doing standing calf raises, oh and I also forgot to mention that my shitty gym doesnt have a seated calf raise...any other advice?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
hompie
Bantamweight Member

Donkeys with your partner sitting on you adding weight.
hompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
ballz 2da wallz

First off I dont have a partner, second of all isnt that like calf raises on the leg press machine? and third of all thats kind of gay... Sorry for being such a pessimist there just isnt much that I can think of to do for my calves...
Old 04-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #6
IM^
Heavyweight Member

Gay? I get two ladies to sit on my back when I do them. They love it...they ask for a ride every damn workout.
IM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
hompie
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IM^
Gay? I get two ladies to sit on my back when I do them. They love it...they ask for a ride every damn workout.
That's what I mean! :p
hompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Dirty Harry

Yes that would be in a way like doing standing calf raises, damn man you are kind of in a tough situation. Doing the donkey calf raises with your partner sitting on your back. Man who cares if it looks gay, you want to get freaky looking in muscle mass, screw everybody else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
IM^
Heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hompie
That's what I mean! :p
The only problem is that you need the blood to flow to your calves - not to your wedding tackle - so that will take some mastering...
IM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
ballz 2da wallz

I have no partner and i KNOW FOR A FACT no one in my gym is going to want to ride on me, and besides isnt that the same as a leg press calf raise?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #11
ballz 2da wallz

DC any ideas? I know your busy but your on the board right now so why not drop a tip?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #12
Dirty Harry

No it is like doing donkey calf raises, So if you do not have a partner to do that, then bro I don't know what to say

Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #13
Anadrol
Super Ass-Clown

Try calf raises in a hackslide... If your gym got one that is.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #14
Doggcrapp
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

agree with the hack press, you can also do them if you have different kind of leg presses, put plates under a smythe and do standing calf raises but the most hardcore thing you can do is find the absolutely most flaming gay guy at your gym and get him to jump up on your back and do donkey calf raises with him holding on tight and yelling "give me one more rep stud"---that truly separates the mice from the men. How bad do you want big calves?

Facebook:

You can buy right from the source and get the high quality raw materials from Truenutrition.com or you can pay 1.5 to 3 times the cost for a glossy jug, fancy multicolored label, and $13000 per page magazine advertising costs....for a company I just might be making the product for anyway........

DC Training -
Doggcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #15
mobsta
Light-heavyweight Member

oh shiznit that crazy dc ,, no flame bro but i actually pictured it ,,

mobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #16
tpc
TrueProtein.com

dante is always asking me at work to help him with his "donkey calfs", thats when i go into my office and lock the door. a little too hardcore for my liking, lol.

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

tpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 PM   #17
mobsta
Light-heavyweight Member

lol ,, i would be to .. just put some spurs on bro ,, i think you'd be ok

mobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #18
Tummen

I too have only 2 calf exercises at my gym. How about varying the exercises by turning the feet outwards or inwards or varying the space between the feet? Any opinions on that?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 AM   #19
jimpaul

Sitting on a bench place your toes on a block of wood, place a plate or barbell on your thighs, above the knees. You can use a towel or pad for the bar.

Standing on a block, etc., hold on to one dumbbell, etc., etc.

Holding on to a low bench machine or pulley or bar in a rack etc.

Never tried this one, it's just a thought. The thighs would probably burn out first though.
Squat down in a sitting position with your back against a wall, etc.

When there's a will, there's a pain, lol.

Get Stronger
jim
jimpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #20
Centaur
Bantamweight Member

Every gym I've been to has a seated calf machine, but if you don't have one..........I'd go with the hackpress too.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #21
ballz 2da wallz

Well this problem seems to be solved because I asked the manager what to do about it and he told me they were gonna get a seated calf raise machine by next week, just for me(well not really but it made me feel good when he said it). So no need to donkey calf raises like arnold, or the gay from around the block .
Old 04-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
In-Human
IM Veteran Member

Tummen, Keep your feet straight, it is hard enough to do 20 second negatives on every rep, let alone try to turn your feet in a different position.

Have you tried as mentioned before, Leg Press, Hack Machine, Reverse Hacks or do you have a Seated Leg Press, Smythe all of these you can do Calf Raises...

Highest quality protein at the lowest price...
In-Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:57 AM   #23
Tummen

I was more thinking that calf raises with toes pointing inwards could be one exercise, and calf raise with toes pointing outwards could be another, not changing the position of the feet within a set.

For example using a smith machine, the 1st leg day one uses one stack of weight plates to stand on, and with the feet shoulder width apart, that would make the toes point slightly inward. The next calf day one could use two weight plate stacks, which would make the toes point outwards. The third one could keep the feet close together on one weight stack, which would make the feet point straight. There you have 3 different exercises on the same machine.

Btw yesterday was my first leg day, and the hardest thing about doing the 20 second negatives (besides the extreme burning) was keeping the feet from sliding off. The Nautilus Leg Press machine I used even has rubber padding. On the calf raise machine at my old gym I'd be standing on the floor 5 seconds into the stretch. I wish they could make a device that could be put under the shoe that would lock on to the edge of the foot plateu
Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
Tummen

Today I did my 3rd leg workout, and today's calf exercise was seated calf raises. But I quickly found out that doing the 15 sec stretches for every rep was impossible because of a sharp pain in my right foot joint. It seems my muscle is more flexible than the joint itself, probably because of a small injury some years back.

So I tried to do calf raises on the smith machine instead, but on that exercise I found the pain from the bar on my neck for such an extended period of time to be way more unbearable than the burning in my calves. (And yes, the bar has one of those neoprene or whatever things around it for comfort.) So I went back to the seated calf raises and did it the regular way with 5-6 second negatives followed by a 60 second calf stretch.

On my previous leg day, I tried to do one legged calf raises with a dumbbell in my hand, and also there the 15 second stretches became a problem because my foot kept sliding off. In a 15 second stretch I had to put my foot back up several times, so an attempted 15 second stretch typically became 3 separate 5 second stretches, unless I supported my weight a little when doing the stretches.

It seems like the only exercise I have that I can do the 15 second stretches inbetween each rep w/full weight on is calf presses on the Nautilus leg press. Is it ok to do the other two exercises in the rotation the regular way with slow negatives followed by a 60 second calf stretch? Or do you guys have any other suggestions?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #25
In-Human
IM Veteran Member

Tummen, Do you have the Nautilus Multi Exercise Machine, you can do Donkey Calf Raises on that...

Highest quality protein at the lowest price...
In-Human is offline   Reply With Quote