Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Preventative Measures-health news

Preventative Measures-health news Health promotion and sports medicine topics, focusing on preventative, alternative and complementary medicine and nutrition.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Joe P.
Intense Muscle Competitor

"Dangerous" Supplement?

I saw this article this morning and thought I'd share. Looks like we may be loosing another supplement in the coming months?

I hope not!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...c-issues-death

Joe

Contest History:
2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joe P. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Imprezivr6
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1642

This has been going on for a while.
Imprezivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
bbjeff86
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1217

If it's unsafe it should be removed... and should have never been put on the market...

The lack of regulation with supplements really baffles me sometimes...
-2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
-2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)
bbjeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
drumfool6

Wait, yeah, I am confused. Hasn't 1,3-dimethylamylamine or DMAA been banned already?
drumfool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Imprezivr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjeff86 View Post
If it's unsafe it should be removed... and should have never been put on the market...

The lack of regulation with supplements really baffles me sometimes...
There is more regulation with supplements now, that in years passed. The thing is there is a fine line between safety regulation, and taking away our freedoms.

Then again how many drugs have also been pulled off the market due to saftey/health concerns? Despite clinical trials, and stringent regulation.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Lee Salado
Lightweight Member

I am personally all for having DMAA pulled from the shelves.
Even at the lowest recommended dose my heart beats uncomfortably fast and
leaves me having palpitations the rest of the day. My brother has had the same experience, so I know there are many of us out there.

My concern is for the person who doesn't know any better, buys the supplement, and causes permanent damage or death while using the product as directed. I have read somewhere (will have to find it so I can post it) that DMAA is very similar in structure and effects to amphetamines. I don't care if it is all natural and comes from a plant. Cocaine comes from a plant too.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

It said that over 100 million dollars in DMAA products have been sold and how many deaths?

If both soldiers were from the same base I would hope they might look into what exactly they were having the soldiers do, as well.

Skip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
PBRevolution
Light-heavyweight Member

Caffeine killed somebody, we must ban it...lol
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
bbjeff86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
There is more regulation with supplements now, that in years passed. The thing is there is a fine line between safety regulation, and taking away our freedoms.

Then again how many drugs have also been pulled off the market due to saftey/health concerns? Despite clinical trials, and stringent regulation.
Ok, because last I knew...about 4 years ago supplements had to be proven to be dangerous before being pulled off shelves, if that has changed good.

What freedoms are being taken away exactly?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Caffeine killed somebody, we must ban it...lol
This is my point and ephedra was consumed by millions and millions of people over a time frame of probably 12 years while it was on the market and yet only an incredibly small amount of people had health issues or died.

It's a tough call because you don't want kids or dumbasses messing themselves up but at the same time those that know what they are doing are having their right to use it taken away.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:

What freedoms are being taken away exactly?
I think he is saying the freedom to use it.

I am just arguing that I am not sure that if millions of people use it and 2 people die (like with the Rockstar drinks), that the product is all of a sudden "bad".

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
bbjeff86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

I am just arguing that I am not sure that if millions of people use it and 2 people die (like with the Rockstar drinks), that the product is all of a sudden "bad".

Skip
I follow what you are saying and tend to agree... however I do think maybe they should regulate who is taking these things. Alcohol can be good for you, or dangerous depending on how you use it. To me Supplements are no different. I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?

I don't know if this makes it all of a sudden "bad", but at least let's pull it, make sure it's relatively safe first rather than continuing to sell it for months and potentially risk more lives.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Imprezivr6

Quote:

Skip
I agree. A couple people die out of the ridiculous amount using these products, and it is sensationalized.

Yeap. The freedom to use health supplements in general. They have already taken certain supplements that were effective, and then big pharma starts investigating their use as "drugs". Next think you know you will need a prescription for Vitamin C, D, etc.

There is a fine line between safety regulations, be it cGMP facilities, and raw material testing, and totally fucking us all out of the right to supplement.

Quote:
I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?
I know young kids who sit on the sofa, play video games for 13hrs a day, eat nothing but fruit snacks, and ho-hos. Might as well regulate that too.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Heckman

Good grief, more people die every day from prescription drugs every damn day...and yet they are still on the market. clearly big brother needs to back off and find something else to ban/go after..what a fucking joke!

Heckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
TLopez
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013

Don't forget PEANUTS and SHELL FISH!

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal:
TLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
TLopez
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckman View Post
Good grief, more people die every day from prescription drugs every damn day...and yet they are still on the market. clearly big brother needs to back off and find something else to ban/go after..what a fucking joke!
Exactly this ^^

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal:
TLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Imprezivr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLopez View Post
Don't forget PEANUTS and SHELL FISH!
I was just reading an article on this the other day..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2885889.html
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
bbjeff86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
I know young kids who sit on the sofa, play video games for 13hrs a day, eat nothing but fruit snacks, and ho-hos. Might as well regulate that too.
And none of those things will cause instant death, though their parents may need to have something done with them, as this will increase all of our healthcare costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckman View Post
You are very correct here. Prescription drugs are a HUGE problem in this country. What I fail to grasp is why just because something else is more jacked up in our society we should give everything of slightly less importance a "free pass".
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Imprezivr6

Quote:
And none of those things will cause instant death, though their parents may need to have something done with them, as this will increase all of our healthcare costs.
Ohhhh instant death is the only thing we are concerned about..hah

Sorry to break it to you but there are millions upon millions of everyday/household items that can cause "instant death" when used improperly, abused, or consumed in excess. Doesn't mean regulation is the answer.

Additionally if something says "serving size 1 scoop do not exceed 3 scoops in a 24hr period" and someone takes 18 scoops, is it the supplements fault. Is it the lack of regulation?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
thedunhill225
Light-heavyweight Member

Free men should be able to consume whatever the hell free men want to consume. Yes, WHATEVER they want...kinda goes along with the "free" part.

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
Nicki Minaj
thedunhill225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Lee Salado
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunhill225 View Post
Free men should be able to consume whatever the hell free men want to consume. Yes, WHATEVER they want...kinda goes along with the "free" part.
Would you support a law requiring retailers to I.D. buyers of 'supplements' containing certain ingredients? For example, no sale to anyone younger than 18 years of age?

My problem is that many of these so called supplements are actually drugs. Substances that are usually derived by synthetic means (DMAA is synthesized more often than extracted) and can do a lot of damage. This goes double for "supplements" like prohormones. They need to be regulated in a way that helps to prevent kids from getting a hold of them.

DMAA is not even a dietary supplement. What exactly is it supposed to be supplementing?

But I guess I see your point. I have no issue with adults buying stuff like this. The risk is theirs to take.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
I follow what you are saying and tend to agree... however I do think maybe they should regulate who is taking these things. Alcohol can be good for you, or dangerous depending on how you use it. To me Supplements are no different. I know young kids who drink 3-5 Monsters/day. To me there is a similar risk many supplements, so why not at least require an adult person to have to buy them?

I don't know if this makes it all of a sudden "bad", but at least let's pull it, make sure it's relatively safe first rather than continuing to sell it for months and potentially risk more lives.
I would agree with not being able to buy it unless you are an adult or an age limit or something. Pulling it so that adults can't buy it I am not sure about. I can't honestly think of one thing that has been on the shelves in the last 10 years that has had a serious concern for death, can you?

Off the top of my head: rockstar drinks, ephedra based products and maybe the creatine scare when it was thought that your kidneys were going to shut down.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
bbjeff86

Quote:
I would agree with not being able to buy it unless you are an adult or an age limit or something. Pulling it so that adults can't buy it I am not sure about. I can't honestly think of one thing that has been on the shelves in the last 10 years that has had a serious concern for death, can you?

Off the top of my head: rockstar drinks, ephedra based products and maybe the creatine scare when it was thought that your kidneys were going to shut down.

Skip
On the same page... No I can't think of anything major in recent years.

I think an age limit would be good, but there would go probably 50% of the supplement company's market.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
PBRevolution
Light-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Salado View Post
I am personally all for having DMAA pulled from the shelves.
Even at the lowest recommended dose my heart beats uncomfortably fast and
leaves me having palpitations the rest of the day. My brother has had the same experience, so I know there are many of us out there.

My concern is for the person who doesn't know any better, buys the supplement, and causes permanent damage or death while using the product as directed. I have read somewhere (will have to find it so I can post it) that DMAA is very similar in structure and effects to amphetamines. I don't care if it is all natural and comes from a plant. Cocaine comes from a plant too.
Caffeine causes certain people's hearts to beat fast or irregularly, even when taken as directed. Should we pull caffeine as well?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625

I think all sorts of things should be legal, as long as enough information is given about the substance. Let those who are fucking retarded enough to misuse them and die go ahead and get cleared out of the gene pool. Why should my choices and freedoms be limited due to the unbelievable ignorance and stupidity of other people?