Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Preventative Measures-health news

Preventative Measures-health news Health promotion and sports medicine topics, focusing on preventative, alternative and complementary medicine and nutrition.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
0001Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
Delta, don't feel bad. Lots of people don't row correctly including dozens of Division I athletes I've worked with. If you saw the Cressey video you may know this already, but a few things stood out. One, watch the head movement. Try to maintain neutral spine which includes head position. Think of it this way, wherever your torso points, your head should point that way too. So, if your torso is perpendicular to the ground as in standing or sitting upright, your head should remain upright. Don't allow your head to go into flexion and extension with each rep. A few sets of quadreped chin tucks may help ingrain this. Second, don't go into too much lumbar extension. A good cue for that you would have heard on Cressey's video is keep you ribcage down. Don't allow the ribcage to flare out...you can't go into lumbar extension with your ribcage down. Third, seek that 30-degree angle of the elbow...don't let it sit too close to your body or pin in to your lats. Fourth, pull through elbows and think of your hands simply as hooks...try not to think of pulling through your arms. A few sets of single arm rows with really light weight may help before going "heavy". Also, moving temporarily to a chest supported row may be beneficial. Finally consider doing a scap/posterior shoulder routine prior to any upper body training of something like cuban presses, OH BB shrug, lateral quadreped hand walking, scap pushups, scap pull downs or scap pullups.
Thanks for the continued support man

I'll bring this up with my PT, he hasn't yet prescribed me my rehab (today was the first session, we mostly used it to diagnose the problem). Do you think any rotator cuff work along with the scap work before the upper body training can be beneficial ? ( I'm thinking external rotation to build up stability).

Quote:
One quick question I'd be curious to ask your PT about is if he thinks you have any signs of an AIC pattern. Your lack of pain makes me think maybe not, but I've heard of it incorrectly diagnosed as scoliosis in the past and seen athletes with shoulder and back pain and often one shoulder sitting slightly lower than the other. Is your shoulder mobility similar on both sides (internal rotation + external rotation with the scapula stabilized at 90-degrees of abduction)? It's OK to have individual components different from one side to the other, but the total motion should be similar. Also, is he doing any sort of message work with you?
Both sides retain the same mobility. One thing tho, and I just remember this I've had anterior pelvic tilt in the past ( already delt with ), not sure this would be relevant, but perhaps it falls into the AIC pattern.
Yes he's gonna do ART and massage sessions, and I've been prescribed a rumble roller to use every morning.

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip
0001Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Knickerbocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0001Delta View Post
Thanks for the continued support man

I'll bring this up with my PT, he hasn't yet prescribed me my rehab (today was the first session, we mostly used it to diagnose the problem). Do you think any rotator cuff work along with the scap work before the upper body training can be beneficial ? ( I'm thinking external rotation to build up stability).
NP, happy to help. Dealing with these little nagging injuries can be frustrating. In regards to cuff work absolutely. Take another look at my original post. A lot of lifters do way more humeral internal rotation work when compared to external. So, adding some volume to external rotation work can be beneficial long term to shoulder health. Also, the same can be true of pressing and pulling, both horizontal pressing (chest pressing) and horizontal pulling (rowing), and vertical pressing (shoulder pressing) and vertical pulling (pull downs/pull ups). Seek to balance an even amount of volume for all. This is especially evident in bodybuilding style training that trains off body parts versus movements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0001Delta View Post
Yes he's gonna do ART and massage sessions, and I've been prescribed a rumble roller to use every morning.
Great, that should help, especially if you fall into that poor posture group, message on the levator scapulae, upper traps, pecs, lats, and anterior delts often need work.

Last edited by Knickerbocker24; 01-26-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #28
ginseng

Great, that should help, the levator scapulae, upper traps, pecs, lats, and anterior delts often need work in populations that do a lot of upper body training and/or have poor scapular control. And some ART of the infraspinatus may help.[/QUOTE]

1. Inhibit the overactive muscles listed above
2. Improve your Thoracic Spine Mobility.
3. Learn to active all the stabilizers needed to maintain Scapulohumeral Rhythm. This rhythm should be maintained in all upperbody movements. The majority of people who train do not maintain this. Implementing a routine that focuses on shoulder stability will help tremendously.

I have fixed many shoulder issues.
ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
0001Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginseng View Post
Great, that should help, the levator scapulae, upper traps, pecs, lats, and anterior delts often need work in populations that do a lot of upper body training and/or have poor scapular control. And some ART of the infraspinatus may help.
1. Inhibit the overactive muscles listed above
2. Improve your Thoracic Spine Mobility.
3. Learn to active all the stabilizers needed to maintain Scapulohumeral Rhythm. This rhythm should be maintained in all upperbody movements. The majority of people who train do not maintain this. Implementing a routine that focuses on shoulder stability will help tremendously.

I have fixed many shoulder issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting man.

I'll focus on all of this, tho I have a problem with the Thoracic Mobily drills (there are too many ways and I'm not sure which one to use), and I dunno how it will affect my scoliosis.

I'm really trying hard as hell to engage my stabilizers on upper body movements. So far I can say I've been having some sucess because the "Pump" I feel on my scapula is a bit less intense and even tho I'm using lighter weights I can feel my right arm more stable.

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip
0001Delta is offline   Reply With Quote