Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Preventative Measures-health news

Preventative Measures-health news Health promotion and sports medicine topics, focusing on preventative, alternative and complementary medicine and nutrition.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Wagz86
Bantamweight Member

Knee wraps vs. Sleeves

Which do you guys prefer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Wagz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
tmcg86

Prefer for what? Comfort?

I prefer sleeves. Sleeves are much more convenient, I wear them for all my squats from warmups onwards, and ditch them for other leg exercises, but you can wear them all workout if you like without having to constantly take them on and off. They aren't as tight as wraps but give good support in my opinion. Also, consistent tightness etc.

Wrapping takes too long, and I always needed a break after wrapping and before my set haha. Wraps will give you more 'pop' though. And it is cool to squat more
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

Never wrapped but sleeves I do like. They also keep the joint area warm.

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Wagz86
Bantamweight Member

Prefer for injury prevention i guess. Since im not discovering my kneese are not too great

Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
anabolic2k
Intense Muscle Competitor

Neoprine sleeves - but purely for keeping the area warm! I find no help with support from sleeves but i also dont feel i need it as i no longer train legs anywhere near as heavy as days gone by!

Stew
Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Wagz86
Bantamweight Member

Any brand recommendation

Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
nexa
Intense Muscle Competitor

I haven't had any issues with my SBD sleeves, but to be fair, these are my first pair of sleeves. They do keep me toasty.
nexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
LG1
Super-heavyweight Member

Elbows I wear mueller. Knees rehband

- Success is the best revenge
LG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
tmcg86

SBDs are the best in the business right now, if you watch the worlds in powerlifting everybody is wearing them. But to be honest that's probably because they help you lift more weight haha. I have a pair, they feel great. I also have some tommy konos to train in, and they feel fine as well. The difference is the SBDs are stitched so your knee is supported in its natural movement, TKs just keep your knee warm and tight.
If you are going to wear them for everything I don't know about the SBDs, I think they are a 'heavy' knee sleeve and I wouldn't want to wear them for the whole workout, but that's just me. I know guys who wear them for the rest of the workout not even training legs so if you get a big enough size they're probably fine.
I got mine to lift more haha
Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
MaxNat
Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1262

I have the TK's (Tommy Kono Knee Sleeves) and absolutely love them! They give some support, but mostly keep your knees warm and sweating...yeah, you will need to change your socks when you get home! I wear them the entire leg workout unless I am getting into some doubles or single squat powerlifting work where I need to wrap for more support.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Wagz86
Bantamweight Member

The sbds are a bit pricey for me. Any alternative ideas? Keep in mind im more concerned with injury prevention. Seems wraps are better bang for your buck

Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
-AJA14-
Light-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagz86 View Post
The sbds are a bit pricey for me. Any alternative ideas? Keep in mind im more concerned with injury prevention. Seems wraps are better bang for your buck

Wraps aren't as much for injury.

I had the TK sleeves, liked them alot. Now I have efs sleeves, don't like them as much. I like the neoprene, kept my knees warmer.

I think this is a good breakdown. And compares 4 different knee sleeves.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/pow...-knee-sleeves/
-AJA14- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
trucelt
IM Moderator and Intense Muscle Competitor

For competition I wear SBD.....
'15-USPA Metro
'15-USPA State
'15-AAU HI
'14-AAU HI
'14-USPA Metro
'14-WABDL Sonny's
'14-USPA State
'14-HI Strongman
'13-USPA
'13-WABDL Sonny's
'13-USPA State
'13-AAU HI
'11-USPA Metro
'10-NPC Stingrey
'09-NPC Islands
'09-NPC Stingrey
'09-ABA Islands
'02-ABA Islands
'02-ABA IronWorks
'01-NPC Paradise Cup
'01-ABA Olympia
'01-ABA Islands
'00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
'00-INBF Musclefest
'98-NGA Ill
'98-INBF Ohio
trucelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
U-Hulk

For someone focused purely on bodybuilding, I never understood the rationale behind knee wraps when training quads. Basically what knee wraps do on multi-joint lower body pressing movements is shift muscle recruitment from the quads towards the posterior chain. Wraps provide external spring force in the knee extension, thus enabling you to instantly lift more weight. While knee extension is aided by the wraps, hip extension is still unassisted --> glutes/hams/lower back have to work harder to lift the heavier weight.

There are a lot more efficient ways to target the posterior chain than to wear knee wraps when squatting, leg pressing, etc. So for bodybuilding training I have always stuck with knee sleeves, mostly to keep the knees warmer.
U-Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
chinookpilot77

I use sleeves for almost everything except when I go over 500lbs on squats or about 800 on leg press, then I use wraps.
chinookpilot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
32shutout

For more than you probably ever wanted to know...

youtube.com /watch?v=igFGrJK6I_c
32shutout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
MyTMouse
Bantamweight Member

I use "white crusher" knee sleeves. They come in 1 ply, 2 ply, and 3 ply. I like them a lot, and prefer them hands down over any wraps I've used.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Wagz86
Bantamweight Member

I ended up settling on Kono knee sleeves. I like them so far. Haven't noticed any instant strength gains from it. Unless you consider being able to lift a little more due to confidence in stability as a strength increase.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
mhschiefs97
Middleweight Member

Bauerfeind knee sleeves were everything I ever wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-Kne.../dp/B0053VE7VY

They provide the warmth and compression to make my knee feel like its warmed up just minutes after putting them on, but they are also great for preventative use. I know if I go on long hikes (3-6 hours), one or both of my knees may start to hurt around the 2 hour mark. Sometimes they make it the 6 hours fine, but if I wear these sleeves from the start, then I have no pain throughout the day. I can also sprint full speed in these, which is an added bonus. Don't get me wrong, though. They do have a snug, supportive fit. Just not as thick and supportive as the Rehband Sleeves.

I have the Rehband Knee Sleeves as well and they are great for more specific uses like Squats, Deadlifts, etc.

If I was deciding between sleeves for a high intensity set of squats, I would choose the Rehbands.

If I was deciding between sleeves for a workout that includes squats, lunges, and maybe some time on a stair climber at the end of the workout, then I would go with the Bauerfinds.

They are easily everything I ever looked for in knee sleeves. I've gone through using Inzer's wraps as well and hated the feel of wraps during a lift. Felt like they were allowing me to do more weight they I could safely maintain proper form with.