Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Preventative Measures-health news

Preventative Measures-health news Health promotion and sports medicine topics, focusing on preventative, alternative and complementary medicine and nutrition.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Senatus
Lightweight Member

My 58 y.o. dad, colostomy bag

Gents,

My 58-year-old father is in fair, but borderline sorry shape. He's suffered from diverticulitis since 2008. That saw him drop from a fairly average, if Homer Simpson-esque, 210 at about 5'9 or 5'10 down to 160.

He has more or less maintained that weight and been OK until these past few weeks, at which time he confined himself to bed and refused to eat. After 2 weeks, my mom, my maternal grandmother and myself managed to convince his stubborn ass that, in spite of his greatest protestations, he needed to see a doctor.

Well, he did this time a week ago; and sure enough, the doc admitted him to the hospital. Next thing I know, he underwent emergency surgery and his colon was cleaved. Now, he craps into a colostomy bag, and will continue to do so for the next 2-3 months. At that time, the surgeons will excise the bad part of his colon (upper sigmoid, if memory serves) and reconnect the good parts. THAT surgery is minimally invasive and, if all goes well, he shouldn't suffer from gut-related problems again.

Here's the catch.

My dad smokes. More importantly, in his last few days "resting" from his initial surgery, he lay around in bed enough to develop a case of pneumonia. One of his doctors thought the pneumonia had cleared up enough to release him to my mom and my care. Still, he coughed some and, sure enough, he started smoking again (albeit very lightly, in fairness ... you think of someone smoking and you picture a man or woman lighting up a cigarette, taking 8-10 drags from it, and repeating 20x daily). His smoking was limited, but, along with the lingering pneumonia, was just enough to rip some of his sutures lose.

A nurse came to check on him today and noticed that he had minor leakage around some of his staples/stitches. His doc/surgeon immediately ordered him back to surgery.

She doubled-up on the stitches, so it is unlikely they'll tear again even if he stupidly tries a few more drags off a handful of cigarettes.

Adamant as she was about him not smoking (an uphill battle; I've bought him an e-cig, nicotine lozenges, patches and I'll get him Skoal if need be), she was MOST ADAMANT ABOUT HIM GAINING WEIGHT.

I will do everything I can to be sure the man eats, eats and eats some more, but I can already tell you, his appetite will be nil at first.

So, my question is two-fold:

A. Barring especially greasy stuff, if your dad was in this situation, what would you feed him?

B. I really and truly hope to not violate forum rules here, but if you had 8 weeks to pack weight on someone on a budget given these parameters, are there any particular SS you'd recommend?

FWIW, he has taken 125 mg Test E weekly for the last several months. I recently, err, "saw to it" that he try 250mg/wk.

Since he won't be drinking and his liver is in good health, I was wondering if a course of deca and dianabol might help. I gather those compounds have a synergistic effect (in addition to adding fast water weight), so that plus a greatly increased caloric intake would be a real boon. His blood pressure is outstanding, so I'm not worried about that. And I know deca's negative rep, so I'd reintroduce the test E., albeit probably at just 125mg/wk.

If I'm nuts, please tell me so. When it comes to my father's recovery, I am probably a bit nuts. He won't be ready for weights for some time, but I'll get him to walk as much as possible, climb as many stairs as he can and, should he have the energy, do some basic BB and DB movements, particularly those which mimic standing up and down, reaching for cabinets and other "functional" uses.

I reckon my dad will be OK without any kind of pharmaceutical help, but I thought I'd throw this out there regardless. He's my mentor and a genuine hero. I want him to bounce back as quickly as possible. If I could give him 50 lbs. of LBM right now, I would. Whatever it takes for him to get over this hurdle.

Thanks,
Sean
Senatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
SuperSport
Heavyweight Member

Sean,

IMO your dad will be best served by addressing the causes of his inflammation and helping his immune system to kick the pnuemonia.

I would recommend a good multivitamin like 'The Complete' by awareness health. I'd also supplement alpha lipoic acid as it is a potent free radical scavenger , and I would use a quality Vitamin B complex (Thorne) along with high dose vitamin c-take 10 to 20 grams per day in divided doses, or up to bowel tolerance and adjust accordingly.

I'm not completely sold on the benefits of fish oil, but perhaps your dad would find relief with its use. Make sure to use a high quality product as you could end up buying the sewer from the sea. Break open a few caps and put a toothpick in them, then put them in the freezer for about 6 hours. Remove them and if you can pull out the toothpicks then the product has an effective amount of EPA which theoretically *should* help reduce inflammation.

The B Complex will help decrease the amount of homocysteine which is very inflammatory via different metabolic pathways.

The high dose C will help boost immunity and viruses basically hate C.

Hope this helps-

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
RobbHensel
Banned

Ok, I had an ostomy bag for 3 months when I had my colon removed, aloe Vera juice helps immensely, digestive enzymes, lots of healthy fats, proteins that are easily digestible, things like rice and pasta will keep his bag from being watery. Took me a while to figure it out. I can't comment on immune health as I have auto immune disorder and being sick is a part of life for me. Get him to go with electronic cigarettes or gum to start, at least that'll remove the chemicals from the cigarettes. Ultimately you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink
RobbHensel is offline   Reply With Quote