Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com
   








Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > The DOGG Pound

The DOGG Pound The Official Home of DOGGCRAPP Training. Discuss DC training, workouts, concepts and methodology, here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
kaleel86
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Gironda press...

Is the Gironda press (wide grip to the base of the neck) suitable as an exercise for the chest whilst on the DC routine? Reason i ask is some people have said that this exercise could be quite awkward on the joints when going very heavy. The reason i like this exercise is because the reglar bench press doesnt give my chest much work as my delts seem to take the beating more than anything else. What's you guy's opinions?
kaleel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
MsteveM
DC Q & A Member
 
MsteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,959
I wouldn't do it, because it seems too compromising to the shoulders.

can you honestly say that you feel safe with that exercise? if you do decide to try it, put it in the 20-30 rp range.

why do you feel the need to include a bench press type exercise anyways? how about dips? or maybe incline dumbell press, or a chest press machine (figure out a way to add extra weight if you need to) - thats 3 right there.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.
MsteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Doberman
Advertising Manager / Intense Muscle Competitor
 
Doberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,048
I would only do this as a widow maker (I've never used it as such, but with the stretch it gives it might work.). It is not intended as a heavy pressing movement. I would not rest pause this. Even if you do a total of 20-30 rest pause reps your not going to safely be able to use enough weight to get any growth stimulus. I've worked with some strong SOB's that did the exercise correctly and only used two 25's. Most people that incorporate this movement use it at the end of a chest workout to pump blood into the muscle to help with recovery. Also, you should use a slow cadence due to the precarious position of the shoulder joint. I would say no faster than a 4 second negative and a 1-2 second positive. A 1 second stretch is o.k. in the bottom position.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
kaleel86
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsteveM View Post
I wouldn't do it, because it seems too compromising to the shoulders.

can you honestly say that you feel safe with that exercise? if you do decide to try it, put it in the 20-30 rp range.

why do you feel the need to include a bench press type exercise anyways? how about dips? or maybe incline dumbell press, or a chest press machine (figure out a way to add extra weight if you need to) - thats 3 right there.
to be honest it doesnt feel so comfortable on the shoulder, the only reason i currently use this exercise is because it does subtract the assistance of the shoulder significantly, i've been bench pressing for years now (incline to decline) and i have never had decent chest mass as a result of it. I found that my shoulders grew most when doing these. Dips i would love to do but the station at the gym is very narrow and i understand these are best done on a wider station. I have found since doing gironda presses that my chest has improved more so than when i wasn't doing it.

If its shoulder joint health vs chest mass then i suppose its better i didnt do this exercise....
kaleel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
kaleel86
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
to be honest you both have really just confirmed what i thought could be the problem with this press. In my scenario, incline presses do nothing what so ever for my chest....thats all in the delts for me. I'm thinking maybe i should bring up my chest using certain techniques and then start the DC routine (probably be next year). what do you guys reckon?

Thanks.
kaleel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Nikkiboy
Light-heavyweight Member
 
Nikkiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleel86 View Post
to be honest it doesnt feel so comfortable on the shoulder, the only reason i currently use this exercise is because it does subtract the assistance of the shoulder significantly, i've been bench pressing for years now (incline to decline) and i have never had decent chest mass as a result of it. I found that my shoulders grew most when doing these. Dips i would love to do but the station at the gym is very narrow and i understand these are best done on a wider station. I have found since doing gironda presses that my chest has improved more so than when i wasn't doing it.

If its shoulder joint health vs chest mass then i suppose its better i didnt do this exercise....
You need to learn how to pull your shoulder blades back and expand the chest up when doing chest. There was a post here by DoggCrapp where he explained how to do this, I tried to find it but the search function does not produce the post I am looking for. Perhaps someone can link it.

Lesson here always save good posts in your favorites
Nikkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Nikkiboy
Light-heavyweight Member
 
Nikkiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,193
kaleel86 what are your lifting #s? On incline?
Nikkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
kaleel86
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
I've actually not done an incline for a long time now, ive been doing trhe gironda press for about 6 months and it is slowly helping. When i last did an incline benchpress i went up to about 90kg for 5 and my flat bench used to be about 100kg, considering i have been benching for a while i acknowledge this weight as pathetic for myself. But again, when i was doing them, i was not seeing hardly any gain on my chest but my shoulders were growing very well. With the gironda press i can only push 80kg but its slower and i feel it working my chest more.

I have read about DC becnhing technique aswell, i do remember not having much luck executing it though.
kaleel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
sulcop
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I am about to show my age here, I was once a member of Vince's gym. I was in teh USMC in the early 80's and worked with Vince and his son Guy on and off (between deployments) for three years. In fact I trained for my first several bodybuilding contests at Vince's. Anyway, Vince and Guy never let anyone with problem shoulders do the wide grip bench. It was also never used in his 12 X 2 or 8 X 3 programs because he stated it was not a heavy load exercise. In fact the lowest rep range it was used on was 8 X 8 and that was a fast paced system with a weight around 70% of max. I would think that even the expert himself, Vince, would say NO WAY to the wide grip bench for DC workouts.

Sully
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
kaleel86
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulcop View Post
I am about to show my age here, I was once a member of Vince's gym. I was in teh USMC in the early 80's and worked with Vince and his son Guy on and off (between deployments) for three years. In fact I trained for my first several bodybuilding contests at Vince's. Anyway, Vince and Guy never let anyone with problem shoulders do the wide grip bench. It was also never used in his 12 X 2 or 8 X 3 programs because he stated it was not a heavy load exercise. In fact the lowest rep range it was used on was 8 X 8 and that was a fast paced system with a weight around 70% of max. I would think that even the expert himself, Vince, would say NO WAY to the wide grip bench for DC workouts.

Sully
well i suppose that puts the nail in the coffin! Guess i Will have to wait until i have brought my chest up to par with the rest of my body (particulary the shoulders) before i do the DC routine which i reallly want to do! .

And yeh sully, you definaltey showed the age there but im sure you're more than content by having the privelige of training with one of THE Pros.
kaleel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.






Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Indexed by Enginuity