Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum

IntenseMuscle Main Discussion Forum Discuss all things related to bodybuilding, fitness, weight lifting, health, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, gyms, etc..

Old 02-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
sbh

Creatine question for Scott

Hi Scott

In your excellent fortitude training manual, you mention that some bodybuilders find it highly effective to spread creatine doses, and consume it throughout the day. I find this very intriguing, since I want to maximize the effects of my creatine supplementation. However, I am a little uncertain how go about this. Is it as simple as it sounds, just splitting a 5-gram daily dose throughout the day? If so, how many “splits” do you recommend? Also, do you ever recommend a higher than 5-gram dose? The reason for asking is because in the past when I have taking Creatine, my strength increase is mostly happening during the loading phase, and once that is over, strength progress is basically the same as when not on creatine. This has led me to believe, that a maintenance dose of 5 gram might not be enough for me.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
sbh

Bump. In hopes that Scott sees this thread.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
732mikee

Are you a member at his forum? He answers threads there daily.
732mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
homonunculus
Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732mikee View Post
Are you a member at his forum? He answers threads there daily.
Thanks for that, man. (Yes, I didn't see this thread until now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
Hi Scott

In your excellent fortitude training manual, you mention that some bodybuilders find it highly effective to spread creatine doses, and consume it throughout the day. I find this very intriguing, since I want to maximize the effects of my creatine supplementation. However, I am a little uncertain how go about this. Is it as simple as it sounds, just splitting a 5-gram daily dose throughout the day? If so, how many “splits” do you recommend? Also, do you ever recommend a higher than 5-gram dose? The reason for asking is because in the past when I have taking Creatine, my strength increase is mostly happening during the loading phase, and once that is over, strength progress is basically the same as when not on creatine. This has led me to believe, that a maintenance dose of 5 gram might not be enough for me.
Yes, you'd just spread your daily dose of creatine over your meals if trying to make this happen.

5g / day is MORE THAN PLENTY to keep intracellular creatine levels elevated,. but the idea here is to make use of the direct anabolic effects of creatine, e.g., by reducing myostatin, not just keep intracellular levels elevated

I've not seen this studies directly per se (testing 1x / day vs. multiple doses spread out), but this is the idea.

Now, some folks are using MUCH more than 5g / day, and while I'd generally not be concerned, this could cause renal stress.

------

If I take the above literally, and you are getting an initial increase in strength, but the same progress rate thereafter, this is still of benefit. The law of diminishing returns would suggest that you'd have SLOWER rates of progress, the stronger you are, so it sounds like the creatine is helping with your progression.

-S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's
homonunculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
sbh

You are the man. Thanks for replying.
In bodybuilding there are alot of gurus but only one Scott.
The bodybuilding oracle.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
homonunculus

Quote:
You are the man. Thanks for replying.
In bodybuilding there are alot of gurus but only one Scott.
The bodybuilding oracle.
LOL!!! Check's in the mail.

I'm just a guy who really digs bodybuilding. (I'm pretty anti-guru, if there is such thing. )

-S

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by homonunculus View Post

I'm just a guy who really digs bodybuilding. (I'm pretty anti-guru, if there is such thing. )

-S
What spin are the quanta of the guru field?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
homonunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
What spin are the quanta of the guru field?
The Guru spin is determined by the probabilistic equation that predicts profit from input variables that describe spewed bullshit.

-S

Old 06-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #9
sbh

Quote:

-S
You are too modest, but, in my book, that just further consolidate you as the guru above the rest
On a more serious note (not that I didn´t mean the above) I have learned so much new stuff from your fortitude manual. It is by far far the most informative bodybuilding book I have read. I really dig that everything is backed up with scientific research, and having someone like you translate all that research into practical use for a layman like myself is really priceless.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Jared Ragsdale
TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer

Quote:
The Guru spin is determined by the probabilistic equation that predicts profit from input variables that describe spewed bullshit.

-S
My favorite type of guru... The Anti-Guru Guru..

Can't escape it.

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
FB:

Email:

Jared Ragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
homonunculus

Quote:
You are too modest, but, in my book, that just further consolidate you as the guru above the rest
On a more serious note (not that I didn´t mean the above) I have learned so much new stuff from your fortitude manual. It is by far far the most informative bodybuilding book I have read. I really dig that everything is backed up with scientific research, and having someone like you translate all that research into practical use for a layman like myself is really priceless.
Ah, thanks, man.

That's exactly my mission, really. Just to form a bit of a bridge to integrate the scientific info with real world application.

It especially nice to hear b/c I've been called pretentious a time or two for including all the references and being a stickler about the science. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Frankly, for someone who's been trained to understand, and publish peer-review quality information - which really should be anyone who's obtained at Master's degree or higher - this is a simple matter, at least secretarily speaking. It's akin to an architect or contractor who simply lists his materials and sources for them. (Now the quality of interpretation and application of the scientific research is another matter, but to not cite sources is a sure sign to read with a grain or two of salt, IMO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ragsdale View Post
My favorite type of guru... The Anti-Guru Guru..

Can't escape it.
Sure you can - Just replace the guru with "guy."

There's still the issue of human nature being to seek out a leader / guru, but I think that consciously not using a word is at least a start, just as consciously using a word can be powerful.

What if you reminded yourself every day that you're a "bodybuilder" or a "father" or a "business man?" That impacts self perception.

When I call into question someone's need to ascribe superior judgement of another by using a term like that, then (I hope) that sinks in.

I realize you're joking, but consider all the crazy (cult-like) shit that humans have done over the years by making men into demi-gods, flawless leaders, gurus, et al. It's a damn hard thing NOT to do when it's just sooooo much easier (and convenient and essentially in some cases as we can't all be experts at everything) to just believe in authority... It's considered rude to question it in many contexts, and that's a symptom underlying the power that this can have on folks - the same power that can be applied by charlatans and just generally sneaky bastards who want to take advantage of people.

If you meet a Buddha on the road, kill him. (I think of this in the simple westernized meaning - be your own Buddha / guru, but it has others meanings:

https://www.quora.com/What-does-if-y...-kill-him-mean )

-S

Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
greensoup
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Thanks for that, man. (Yes, I didn't see this thread until now.)

Yes, you'd just spread your daily dose of creatine over your meals if trying to make this happen.

5g / day is MORE THAN PLENTY to keep intracellular creatine levels elevated,. but the idea here is to make use of the direct anabolic effects of creatine, e.g., by reducing myostatin, not just keep intracellular levels elevated

I've not seen this studies directly per se (testing 1x / day vs. multiple doses spread out), but this is the idea.

Now, some folks are using MUCH more than 5g / day, and while I'd generally not be concerned, this could cause renal stress.

------

If I take the above literally, and you are getting an initial increase in strength, but the same progress rate thereafter, this is still of benefit. The law of diminishing returns would suggest that you'd have SLOWER rates of progress, the stronger you are, so it sounds like the creatine is helping with your progression.

-S
Can renal stress cause hematuria (slight blood in urine after urinating)? I've been doign 10g of creatine the last 3 days after over a year off of it and been training a little harder after an extended break of spotty maintenance training.
greensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
homonunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoup View Post
Can renal stress cause hematuria (slight blood in urine after urinating)? I've been doign 10g of creatine the last 3 days after over a year off of it and been training a little harder after an extended break of spotty maintenance training.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematuria

-S

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #14
greensoup
Middleweight Member

well i feel dumb, thanks for the patient answer!

Looks like I got a UTI. wtf x_X
Going to grab some cranberry extract now

Last edited by greensoup; 07-19-2017 at 09:53 PM.
greensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
homonunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoup View Post
well i feel dumb, thanks for the patient answer!

Looks like I got a UTI. wtf x_X
Going to grab some cranberry extract now
https://examine.com/nutrition/cranberry-juice-for-utis/

-S