Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > TEAM SKIP > Longevity DVD Q and A

Longevity DVD Q and A An in depth Q and A with Ken Skip Hill, an expert in bodybuilding contest preparation who shares free tips about bodybuilding, longevity, diet, exercise, cardio, figure, fitness, supplements and health in his free DVD video series.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #451
v1hyp
Intense Muscle Competitor

Maybe this is just me but I can almost tell (by how my body feels) when my re-feed day is getting close to completion by how my body feels. I seem to reach a point towards my 6 hours when I feel really fully and tight (muscle wise) like my skins about split. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #452
berryswole22
Lightweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1hyp View Post
Maybe this is just me but I can almost tell (by how my body feels) when my re-feed day is getting close to completion by how my body feels. I seem to reach a point towards my 6 hours when I feel really fully and tight (muscle wise) like my skins about split. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?
Definitely. But for me it's at about 9 hours
berryswole22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #453
jwy5034

I posted about how skiploading may have been causing acne flare ups on my face and now I'm certain it does. My face gets red, bloated, and new pimples show up for a few days and when I eat clean during the week, it slowly goes away. My guess is all the processed, sugary junk carbs that worsen my acne. I use topical acne cream to keep it under control, but I noticed I don't even need the acne cream when I'm eating clean. The results on my body composition is second to none, but since I am not a competitor, the acne is not worth it.

I have decided to completely eliminate these high GI processed carbs out of my diet, so here's my question...What's the next best? Should I try to skipload with clean carbs or carb cycle with no refeeds? I know there isn't a right answer, but I would like your opinions based on experiences and general knowledge.

I'm 24 and about 11-12% bf...thanks in advance
jwy5034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #454
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

It isnt the Skipload, it is the carb sources you are using. Go back to sushi or noodles like spaghetti or mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar, etc..

Skiploading is not necessarily loading with SUGARY carbs, just PROCESSED carbs that are low fat.

Skip

Sent from Skip's Galaxy Note

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #455
jwy5034

Sorry, I didn't mean the skipload caused it, but rather the carbs used like you said. I don't believe it's only the sugary carbs that aggravate my acne, but any processed, high GI carbs cause my flare ups including pasta and rice(in high amounts). However, it is my understanding that the high GI carbs are what boost metabolism as opposed to foods like oats, yams, etc. So what I was asking was (in your opinion) is it worth it to skipload with the healthy carbs or would carb cycling without a refeed be more effective? I know I'm being a pain in the ass and if acne wasn't a problem, I would follow it as it was originally laid out because results on my body composition are awesome. Appreciate your time.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #456
Ken "Skip" Hill

I would not Skipload, at all, if that is what is going on.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #457
jwy5034

I see...well I'm going to try one last skipload using ONLY noodles and rice before giving it up. This way I can definitively conclude if it's the sugary carbs only or both sugary and processed carbs that aggravate my acne. Thanks for your time skip!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #458
jwy5034

Just wanted to update in case anyone has the same problem...It turns out it was the sugar and dairy that caused my acne during the skipload. I loaded with only noodles and rice and it didn't make me breakout. I'm glad I can still skipload!

Also Skip, more curious than anything... What do you think about skiploading once you go below baseline whether it takes 5 or 10 days rather than doing it once a week? I only ask because you said something along the lines of some people may need to load earlier or later than the 7 days, but once a week generally covers most people.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #459
Ken "Skip" Hill

I don't think I have ever said that someone may need to load earlier or later than a week because if that were the case you would need to change the diet during the week.

Glad to hear you didn't have any problems with noodles and rice.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #460
Davecat7272

Hi everyone! New to the forum, very good info and helpful people here! Question on the subject, I'm cutting and about 8% bf, weight train 6 days a week and cardio 5 days, I'm 5'6" and 144 lbs, doing intermittent fasting and keeping starchy carbs no more than 100 grams a day ,between 60 and 100, prot 1-1.2 per lbs and no more than 40 grams of fat, I have one cheat meal a week , cal a day between 1400 - 1700 a day, usually feel sluggish during the week, want to try skiploading , question,: as I've read through out the forum, or understood at least( correct me if I'm wrong ) , the best way for this method to work is to be somewhat low carbs/cals during the week or 6 days and then implement, according to my stats , are my carbs/ cals per day considered low for me to implement the method successfully ? Those 100 grams of carbs are just starch , I don't count fibrous but eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower , my cheat meal a week works good but I think this can work better, will like to try,tyvm for the help, I'm from South America and will be in the state in two weeks, by the way will buy the DVD when I'm there since I can't get it here. Tyvm
Davecat7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #461
Davecat7272

If you guys show me how to post pics or put one up in my avatar, I can do that so you get a better idea of what I look like if that helps, thanks again!
Davecat7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #462
Ken "Skip" Hill

Was this in response to the other thread about your body fat levels?

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #463
liftweights
Lightweight Member

[QUOTE=jwy5034;997519]Just wanted to update in case anyone has the same problem...It turns out it was the sugar and dairy that caused my acne during the skipload. I loaded with only noodles and rice and it didn't make me breakout. I'm glad I can still skipload!

It's all about treating your skin properly. I've been skiploading for two years while completely controlling my acne so it doesn't even look like I have any. If you break out is has NOTHING to do with your diet. Go to ''acne.org'' and get their regimen, it works if you do it EXACTLY like it prescribes. If it's not okay to ''advertise'' that then please delete this post, but it will solve this guy's problem.
liftweights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #464
lawlz_xD

Hi Skip, I've watched your Longevity DVD and read the infinite amount of posts you've made regarding Skiploading to ensure I do it correctly myself. Let me start by saying thank you for all the amazing free information you've provided for the community.

I am currently cutting on keto and sitting at 150lbs at 7-8%.

I skiploaded for the first time last Saturday (5 days ago) and prior to that, was pretty depleted as I had been running keto for 2 weeks at that point with another 4 weeks prior on a med-carb diet. I started with a 6 hour window as recommended and had about 600g (>90% high-gi) carbs with the fats <50g.

Here's my dilemma:

Baseline: 150.2
Sunday: 156
Monday: 155
Wednesday: 153.4
Thursday: 153.6 <--- what?
Friday: ?
Saturday Morning: ?

Assuming I don't baseline by Saturday morning, should I still go for another Skipload but perhaps shorten the window to 4-5 hours?

To track progress, I have been performing a 3-point caliper test on myself and despite me not baselining yet, but hopefully soon, I still lost a couple mm in my abdominals and chest, indicating some bodyfat loss.

What my question boils down to is, can bodyfat loss guide Skiploads rather than the proven method of weight baseline?

Thanks!

Last edited by lawlz_xD; 03-14-2013 at 11:37 AM.
lawlz_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #465
Ken "Skip" Hill

Yes, body fat loss via calipers can dictate protocol for the Skipload but it is not as black and white and easy to measure. The only real reason your weight could be up and you still be leaner is if you were just so depleted that you were chewing up muscle tissue until you loaded last week. Otherwise, it isn't common to not baseline and yet be leaner.

Plus, you have to take into consideration your total cals during the week because even if you were keto the last couple of weeks that doesn't mean you were overly depleted if your cals were higher than they should be. If it were ME, I would not do much planning right now and just see what happens with your baseline into the weekend. You could still baseline and drop below it before your scheduled load this weekend. If you don't, you could also not load this weekend and see if you keep dropping. If you don't drop after skipping the load this weekend then something needs to change because you just wouldn't be depleting back to pre-Skipload levels.

600g of carbs isn't that much but I do realize that your weight is only 150, too. Still, I have guys that are depleted at 160 that are doing almost 1500-2000g of carbs a day and baselining just fine.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #466
greensoup
Middleweight Member

2000 carbs = 8000 calories, and with other proteins and fats it could get near 9000 or 10000! where does this energy go to? obv not all of it goes into a 3500calorie lb of fat, but does most of it just get converted or go undigested => poop?
greensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #467
Ken "Skip" Hill

Calories are stored as fat when they aren't needed. If you are depleted, they are needed. This is the part that people miss when they argue that eating processed carbs are soooo bad for you. They are so stuck on what they have been "fed" for so many years about how processed carbs make you fat, lead to diabetes, etc.. That is only the case when your body doesn't have a NEED for those carbs.

There are arguments that all of the food you eat isn't digested, that is correct. I was recently discussing this with Dr Rich not the last time he was in town the time prior. There is a name for it but I forget what it is. Even if all of the food isn't digested or those calories "don't count", the point is that the impact that it has on your metabolism is the main reason to Skipload, the fact that the carbs are used as glycogen is only really a side benefit. In theory, the fuller you are with glycogen, the longer it takes to get depleted again and burn body fat at an efficient rate, anyway.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #468
Pumped340
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
Calories are stored as fat when they aren't needed. If you are depleted, they are needed. This is the part that people miss when they argue that eating processed carbs are soooo bad for you. They are so stuck on what they have been "fed" for so many years about how processed carbs make you fat, lead to diabetes, etc.. That is only the case when your body doesn't have a NEED for those carbs.

There are arguments that all of the food you eat isn't digested, that is correct. I was recently discussing this with Dr Rich not the last time he was in town the time prior. There is a name for it but I forget what it is. Even if all of the food isn't digested or those calories "don't count", the point is that the impact that it has on your metabolism is the main reason to Skipload, the fact that the carbs are used as glycogen is only really a side benefit. In theory, the fuller you are with glycogen, the longer it takes to get depleted again and burn body fat at an efficient rate, anyway.

Skip
You don't change the training to get glycogen depletion to occur more quickly though correct?

I would love to have skiploading work for me, and certainly have lost fat while using it, but it always seems like the fat loss is slower than with traditional carb cycling and I have to bring weekly calories much lower than I otherwise would have results in worse workouts during the week. Some say they are much stronger after refeeds/skiploads/cheat days but this does not seem to be the case for me.
Pumped340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #469
champion#1

All I can say is I've missed my skiploads big time!!

Because I have been having to make a weight class every weekend for the boxing championships I don't feel I have enough experience with the loads yet to get precise information on when I will baseline.

Just not worth the risk and not making the weight. The closest thing I got was about 600g of carbs post fight on Saturday for about 2 hours at night. Cravings in the week have been crazy!! Running the anabolic diet thigh out the week.

The skipload really keeps hunger at bay (leptin?). Might go for a moderate load of 1000g post fight this Sunday as I will be fighting earlier in the day.
champion#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #470
Ken "Skip" Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped340 View Post
You don't change the training to get glycogen depletion to occur more quickly though correct?

I would love to have skiploading work for me, and certainly have lost fat while using it, but it always seems like the fat loss is slower than with traditional carb cycling and I have to bring weekly calories much lower than I otherwise would have results in worse workouts during the week. Some say they are much stronger after refeeds/skiploads/cheat days but this does not seem to be the case for me.
Then you aren't Skiploading correctly.

You don't need to change the training but the type of training you are doing (high volume, low volume) has to be taken into account for the loads, cals, etc..

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #471
Pumped340
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
Then you aren't Skiploading correctly.

You don't need to change the training but the type of training you are doing (high volume, low volume) has to be taken into account for the loads, cals, etc..

Skip
Hm, ok well I imagine you get tired of all of the skipload questions after years and years of probably repeating yourself so I'll try to keep it short. I have watched your longevity DVD and read most stickies on this site. The way I did the skipload was start with 6 hours once per week and adjust from there, eating mainly high GI carbs (waffles, cereals, low fat mac n' cheese or pizza, etc..mostly stuff in the approved thread). So just by that I did lose fat but what I'm saying is to lose say 1lb per week I would have a skipload of maybe 6-8 hours (say 8000 calories, 1000+ grams of carbs for example) and then throughout the week would have to be 1700-2000 calories most days.

With traditional carb cycling I might have a 3-4 low days of 2000 calores/150g carbs, a 1-2 medium of 2500 calories/200-250g carbs and 1-2 high days of 3000-3500 calories/350-400g carbs. Again to lose that 1lb per week but this way my calories end up being much higher 6 of the 7 days per week which always seems to have me less starving and keeping me stronger (it seems like one huge day isn't enough to offset strength loss from being so low the rest of the week).

Skiploading is way more 'fun', but it always seems to hurt end results when I throw them in.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #472
Ken "Skip" Hill

I don't get tired of it as much as there are too many variables that I don't know about you because I am not training you.

Example: I have no clue is your metabolism is hot and running as efficiently as possible. I don't know how long you have been dieting, if you are a metabolic wreck, if you started with your cals too high during the week and weren't depleted, if your load was too big, etc..

The list is long.

Working the Skipload yourself can work, that is why I put the information out there for people but that doesn't mean that it works all the time and just because you (who doesn't have experience with the method like I do) can't get it to work, doesn't mean that it doesn't work and doesn't work well.

If traditional carb cycling works for you and is easy for you to figure out and execute, I can understand that. No problem.

Skip

For Training Inquiries:

Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #473
champion#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped340 View Post

Skiploading is way more 'fun', but it always seems to hurt end results when I throw them in.
Don't do it then.
champion#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #474
Pumped340
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion#1 View Post
Don't do it then.
Seems like the simple answer lol but even though I have a good amount of knowledge about dieting and nutrition the fact is that Skip has a thousand times my experience so if someone in his position truly believes that skiploading is the best method for all of his clients (I believe he has said he uses this method for literally all of them) then I'm always open to hear ways to improve how I go about things. If for no other reason than to try things out and learn more.

I rarely if ever see naturals apply such a method when reading some of the natural pros' contest logs. So I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that Skip works with a lot of 'enhanced' competitors.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #475
RageBlanket
Raw SHW 1526 Total

^^^^^^^ Nope.

I'm just a regular fat guy, and I lost 60# working with Skip using the Skipload method.

The details change, but the philosophy remains.