Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Picture Forums > Critical Physique Assessment

Critical Physique Assessment Post your pictures if you want to get honest, straight-forward, constructive criticism on your physique. If you can't take the criticism, don't bother with this forum.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
djjohnnied
Intense Muscle Competitor

Feedback wanted! 5'9" 185

Hey guys! I know I'm not the biggest or the leanest but I work my ass off and want to get there. I've been lifting 3 years and need any tips you guys are willing to share with me. At the moment I am cutting with a very clean diet and my goal right now is to get to between 8-10% body fat. Any body fat estimates will be helpful even though my caliper says 12%. These pictures are without a pump.
My diet is:
4 days: protein 277 g carb 120 g and fat 57 g for a total of 2150 cals
2 days: protein 251 g carb 54g and fat 54 g for a total of around 1800 cals
1 day: is the same as one of the 277 g protein day except with a carb heavy cheat meal

I am doing 20 min. of fasted low intensity cardio 3 times a week and I am following a George farah routine, thanks for any help and responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130102-00604.jpg (857.1 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130102-00605.jpg (825.6 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130102-00607.jpg (807.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130102-00608.jpg (901.4 KB, 503 views)

Last edited by djjohnnied; 01-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
djjohnnied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Ken "Skip" Hill
Judge, Jury and Executioner

Consistency and time. Keep doing what you are doing by kicking ass in the gym and learning all you can about nutrition. This site is a great place for that.

Welcome to IM!

Skip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
Facebook: Skip Hill
Instagram: IntenseMuscle
YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here:
Ken "Skip" Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Petros
TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer

Hire Skip if you can and if he has room.

Best investment I have made and have made my biggest gains working with Skip in a 3 month period.

Thanks again Skip!
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
mentalflex
ISOM Winner February 2012

How old are you djjohnnied?

What kind of training programs have you used in the past?

One piece of advice I want to give you as you work your way towards your goals is to always listen to your body. Monitor how you respond to various training stimuli and nutritional strategies as well as different exercises and techniques. Training frequency, volume, rep ranges and intensity are highly individual and listening to your body will allow you to determine what type of training and dietary approach will suit you best.

Keep at it, be consistent and track your progress.

Good luck djjohnnied!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
2015 Beat Cancer!
mentalflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
djjohnnied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herculeus View Post
Hire Skip if you can and if he has room.

Best investment I have made and have made my biggest gains working with Skip in a 3 month period.

Thanks again Skip!
I am really looking into hiring a coach in the future, I am currently unemployed and do not have the funds to cover it though. If you don't mind me asking, around how much is it per month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalflex View Post
How old are you djjohnnied?

What kind of training programs have you used in the past?

One piece of advice I want to give you as you work your way towards your goals is to always listen to your body. Monitor how you respond to various training stimuli and nutritional strategies as well as different exercises and techniques. Training frequency, volume, rep ranges and intensity are highly individual and listening to your body will allow you to determine what type of training and dietary approach will suit you best.

Keep at it, be consistent and track your progress.

Good luck djjohnnied!
Thanks for the advice man!

I am 20 years old. I used to be 230 lbs all fat at 15, I dropped to 140 with just cardio but lost all of my muscle with improper dieting. I decided I was going to devote my life to bodybuilding at about 17 and I started with a strength program and did strength training for 2 years, to be specific starting strength and madcows 5X5, it made me somewhat strong but my muscles did not look nice, I was not aesthetic, I did not look like my goal of looking like a "bodybuilder." I got to bench press 225*4, deadlift 405*3, press 175*3 and squat 330*3. But I began a 5 day split and a lot of my body parts started growing nicer and getting a better shape to them. I am currently on a 5 day George Farah split that a teen my age with my same goals and roughly same stats bought from him. I really like the pre exhaust technique and I've been using it only a few weeks, but have a much better mind muscle connection. here it is, any suggestions?

You ramp up the weight every set, and every workout is different but with similar lifts

Chest and tri's
6 sets DB flyes 8-15 reps
4 sets BB bench 6-12 reps
4 sets Incline DB bench 6-12 reps
4 sets of dips 8-15
4 sets of reverse pulldowns 8-15

Back and Bi's
5 sets of weighted pullups 6-15
5 sets of T bar rows 6-15
3 sets of deadlifts 6-12
4 sets of close grip curls 6-15
4 sets of weighted decline situps

Shoulders and calves
4 sets of lateral raises 8-15
4 sets of front raises 8-15
4 sets of rear flyes 8-15
4 sets of BB or DB press 6-15
4 sets of DB shrugs 8-15
4 supersets of calves 10-50

ARMS
Pushdowns 5 sets of 12-18 reps
Dumbbell Skullcrushers: 3 sets 8-12
Seated DB Curls : 6 sets 8-15
Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-15
Leg raises 4 sets till failure

Legs
6 sets of squat 6-20
3 sets of hack squats 8-15
2 sets of leg extensions 10-30
5 sets of lying leg curls 10-20

Last edited by djjohnnied; 01-02-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Petros
TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer

When you get the funds, I highly suggest you invest with skip. He has different packages and you can ask him about those, but the consult was 3 months and was under $1000. Ill let skip inform you on the specifics. Worth every single penny though

Skip has a training protocol in this thread. Use the search bar to find it, its a great training program geared towards adding mass to the upper body.

And by no means am I an expert, but my opinion about your workout is that it is overkill. Way to much. But ill let mental and everyone else be the judge of that. Just my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjohnnied View Post
I am really looking into hiring a coach in the future, I am currently unemployed and do not have the funds to cover it though. If you don't mind me asking, around how much is it per month?

Thanks for the advice man!

I am 20 years old. I used to be 230 lbs all fat at 15, I dropped to 140 with just cardio but lost all of my muscle with improper dieting. I decided I was going to devote my life to bodybuilding at about 17 and I started with a strength program and did strength training for 2 years, to be specific starting strength and madcows 5X5, it made me somewhat strong but my muscles did not look nice, I was not aesthetic, I did not look like my goal of looking like a "bodybuilder." I got to bench press 225*4, deadlift 405*3, press 175*3 and squat 330*3. But I began a 5 day split and a lot of my body parts started growing nicer and getting a better shape to them. I am currently on a 5 day George Farah split that a teen my age with my same goals and roughly same stats bought from him. I really like the pre exhaust technique and I've been using it only a few weeks, but have a much better mind muscle connection. here it is, any suggestions?

You ramp up the weight every set, and every workout is different but with similar lifts

Chest and tri's
6 sets DB flyes 8-15 reps
4 sets BB bench 6-12 reps
4 sets Incline DB bench 6-12 reps
4 sets of dips 8-15
4 sets of reverse pulldowns 8-15

Back and Bi's
5 sets of weighted pullups 6-15
5 sets of T bar rows 6-15
3 sets of deadlifts 6-12
4 sets of close grip curls 6-15
4 sets of weighted decline situps

Shoulders and calves
4 sets of lateral raises 8-15
4 sets of front raises 8-15
4 sets of rear flyes 8-15
4 sets of BB or DB press 6-15
4 sets of DB shrugs 8-15

ARMS
Pushdowns 5 sets of 12-18 reps
Dumbbell Skullcrushers: 3 sets 8-12
Seated DB Curls : 6 sets 8-15
Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-15
Leg raises 4 sets till failure

Legs
6 sets of squat 6-20
3 sets of hack squats 8-15
2 sets of leg extensions 10-30
5 sets of lying leg curls 10-20

Last edited by Petros; 01-03-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
mentalflex
ISOM Winner February 2012

It is great that you are learning to really "feel" the muscle (at least based on what you said) and you certainly have made some great strides losing all that weight!

I think right now, at this stage in the game, what Skip said cannot be echoed enough. Be consistent with your training and learn all you can about training and nutrition and how you personally respond to different approaches. I am not saying bounce back and forth between programs, but try different training methodologies and give each one a fair shake, add in some advanced techniques and build the experience you need continually improve your physique.

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
2015 Beat Cancer!
mentalflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
djjohnnied

Thanks for the tips man! All the help I get is appreciated!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Andre Gregoire

What formula are you using on the calipers? I prefer the 9 site parillo equation from this site: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

My guess is that you are closer to 20% then 12%.

For only 3 years working out you are starting to have a shape.

I think you should go back to a strength based routine. I like Wendler's 5/3/1 and you add accessory movements for biceps, triceps, calves, etc...

You shouldn't be doing a high volume bodybuilding pump style routine right now, building strength and mass is more important for your long term goal.

Your current diet and cardio regime will at best make you burn 0.5lb of fat per week based on your estimated lean body mass so if you want to lose 10% bodyfat it's going to take 40 weeks or so. Either be patient of change it.

This place is a great place to learn, come everyday and read a lot.

<--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight
Andre Gregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
djjohnnied

Hey guys! some updates pics! current weight after workout and a meal is about 176, So I followed a lot of the advice you guys posted, I started a routine that has me lifting heavier and hitting muscles twice a week and played around with the diet a little bit, started carb cycling and I feel my body responds to this the best compared to other diets I have tried in terms of both fat loss and water retention. want to cut a little longer and start lean bulking !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130130-00683.jpg (647.7 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130131-00688.jpg (951.1 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by djjohnnied; 01-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
djjohnnied

another updated pic guys, now officially on a bulk, lost a lot of muscle from my cut (think I dropped calories too fat, happy with my body fat though) I also have some loose skin in the abdomen because I used to be obese, have a 29.5" waist now. Btw I am natty, maybe that will change this summer, not too sure yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
greensoup
Middleweight Member

good progress, what was your lifting/diet like?

and how big was your obese
greensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
djjohnnied

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrappants View Post
good progress, what was your lifting/diet like?

and how big was your obese
What I feel helped me out the most was in terms of diet carb cycling, carb cycling has been the one diet that has really helped me lose body fat. I tried intermittent fasting with low carb and found it did not work at all for me.

As for routine I switched to layne norton's PHAT program (best principles ever). Hitting muscles twice a week, one day heavy low volume, one day high volume and higher reps. This style of training I feel has really helped me both get stronger and put on some muscle.

I was 230 lbs. at 5'5" a few years back, have lost the fat but have a fraction of the loose skin.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
cmc

Great progress!!
cmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
greensoup
Middleweight Member

please teach me how to grow 4 inches during a massive cut like you did
greensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
djjohnnied

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrappants View Post
please teach me how to grow 4 inches during a massive cut like you did
I was 15 I didn't cut from 230 right now
Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
vojap

Ill suggest you to try doing calisthenics in combination with weights to get leaner stronger and bigger
vojap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #18
v1hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vojap View Post
Ill suggest you to try doing calisthenics in combination with weights to get leaner stronger and bigger
Calisthenics, really?

You do know that you hit the Intensemuscle link in your saved tab instead of the bodybuilding.com link. I think you may have meant to go there instead based on the calisthenics comment. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention.

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
djjohnnied

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1hyp View Post
Calisthenics, really?

You do know that you hit the Intensemuscle link in your saved tab instead of the bodybuilding.com link. I think you may have meant to go there instead based on the calisthenics comment. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention.
completely agree with you man, calisthenics won't get me the body of a bodybuilder. When I see all the olympia competitors preaching calisthenics, then maybe I'll consider it. For now sticking with upping strength on my major lifts and having a nice amount of volume and getting closer to my dream of hopping on stage next year.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
v1hyp

Good luck!! Hit it hard

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
djjohnnied

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1hyp View Post
Good luck!! Hit it hard

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks man I really appreciate that! I will keep this thread updated as the months go by!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #22
Swaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
Consistency and time. Keep doing what you are doing by kicking ass in the gym and learning all you can about nutrition. This site is a great place for that.

Welcome to IM!

Skip
Everytime someone asks me about what routine I recommend or the latest fad I steal Skip's quote. When pushed for a specific routine I say this:

q. What is the most EFFECTIVE routine? a. Whatever one keeps you coming in the gym consistently.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
djjohnnied

another updated pic from a few months back bro's! In full bulk mode right now, working with a Canadian Professional Strongman with my dieting and training, he knows a loooot.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
riverhawk23
Bantamweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vojap View Post
I gotta agree with this Vojap his first post here is just straight fire. Telling it like it is calisthenics and weights that's it. Also i know you are natty and if you want to really boost testosterone naturally you got to start prancerisizing. Vojap you gotta get you post count up so you can start threads and really lay it out for everyone.

Now that is over, congrats on everything man looks like you accomplished a ton in the past 8 months. I'd definitely say its time to add some size and I am sure other will chime in here for sure, but don't go crazy thinking you need to eat everything in sight and lose all that hard work. Good luck you are well on your way though.
riverhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
djjohnnied

Hey guys! Thought I would update you on the progress after 1 year. Currently have my eyes set on a competition in may and plan to begin cutting in january with a coach. Here is what I am looking at at roughly 210 currently 21 years old. Wouldn't say I'm lean by any means. Diet is super clean. Hate putting on the fluff but my goal is to compete with the big boys and I know it's a sacrifice I must make.