Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > Journals

Journals Member logs about training, diet, nutrition, supplements, losing weight, building muscle, etc.. Start your own journal and share your experiences with other members!

Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #26
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetix
Today was chest and calves. The workout was incredible and I feel completely spent. I have my journal at home and I am currently at work so I will post it later on this a.m. when I leave work.
Training notes: I will be switching to ZMR's a.k.a. Zero Momentum Repetitions due to the fact that the machines in the gym are becoming difficult to add all the needed resistance in order to follow the BFT training. For example today on Flyes I used 275lbs, the 200lb stack plus 2 25lb dumbells plus a 25lb plate. Next week I will reduce the weight and perform the ZMR's to increase the intensity.
I hope all is well with everyone's training, train hard and don't quit!

-Matt Cena
LOL

You're a damn MACHINE Matt!

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! Itís so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like youíre going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Get 5% OFF at trueprotein.com with Discount Code: BTR777

Formerly El_Animal
IronBrendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:44 AM   #27
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

Thanks Brendan, I am just trying to train as hard as I can. I have my goals for the entire year set out and I know that they will not be easy to accomplish with anything less than 100% effort.
Today was the first day that I implemented the ZMR's. All I can say is WOW! I was truly surprised at what a differnce this technique makes, let alone the added pain that it inflicts. All wieghts were reduced drasticaly as a result but I feel in the whole scheme of things that even with a reduction in poundages lifted the added intensity of this technique more than makes up for it. I will post the training from today later on as once again I am at work.

-Matt Cena
Genetix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM   #28
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

I grabbed this from MM where chris2489 posted it in the Trevor Smith thead. It provides anyone interested the explanation of ZMR's:
Beyond Failure Training Intensity tips? Zero Momentum reps
By Trevor Smith

Ask anybody who has ever lifted weights for an appreciable time period and they will all agree that the most common question asked by the average person on the street is?."Hey?how much can you bench?"
I hate this question. I mean what does it have to do with the price of tea in China anyway? As if the average person will even know whether or not the numbers you tell them mean you are strong or not. Strength is a relative thing and so whenever I get asked this question, my stock reply is usually something along the lines of "A bit more than your average housewife and a lot less than your average Gorilla"
O.K. so where am I going with this? Actually, I am using this example to try and have you understand that weight is not all important and nor is it the only way to increase the severity and intensity of a set even with something as severe and intense as Beyond Failure Training. Let's face it, we have all seen guys in the gym cranking out reps as fast as they can and making a weight literally fly off their bodies. What I am going to suggest is that by taking a weight you could seemingly "toy with" for 15-20 reps and altering the style the reps are performed in, you will increase the intensity 10 fold and cut the number of reps you can perform down to 3-4. Together this will yield both bigger and eventually stronger muscles because you will eliminate sticking points and will not have to rely on momentum to get past them. Let's use the Bench Press as our exercise of choice for the purposes of example and explanation of Zero Momentum Reps.
The Bench Press is a movement that pretty much has universal sticking points for anyone that performs it. The first quarter of the movement is the most difficult because the pectoral muscles are forced to work almost exclusively until the triceps and deltoids are able to be of assistance in the last half of the movement. Now if one can get past this rather short sticking point, one can effectively incorporate assistance muscle groups like the triceps and the deltoids sooner and thus handle more weight. Now if you are a powerlifter, this is exactly what you are looking to accomplish. If you are a bodybuilder, this is not necessarily the case. Why? Because as bodybuilders, we want the bench-press to completely trash our pectorals and stimulate maximum muscle growth in that area. Now in order to get past this said sticking point and move heavier and heavier weight, explosive power and thrust is developed. Maximum exertion as quickly as possible is the name of the game. (It is this maximum exertion incidentally, that causes pectoral tendons to rupture and explode. If you successfully master the use of Zero Momentum Reps with your pressing movements, it will be impossible for you to tear muscles and or tendons.)

What is being proposed here is that you completely eliminate this explosion and thrust and make a steady, slow and controlled movement for the first quarter part of the exercise. This is the most difficult part of the Bench Press and rather then look to BI-pass it, I am suggesting that one will benefit greatly by savoring every single solitary millimeter of this part of the exercise.And this is how one would do this:
ZMR's (zero momentum reps) will begin with the person slowly lowering the weight down to the chest in a deliberate and controlled manner that takes approximately 2-3 seconds. Once at the bottom part of the movement, the participant should make an effort to exaggerate the stretch and have the hands go below chest level. Once there, the participant will hold for a count of three. It is at this point that the positive portion of the rep will begin. Now this gets tricky to describe without having seen it performed, but one must fight the tendency to "toss" the weight up and literally move the weight as slowly and as little as possible so that the first quarter of the movement takes 1.5-2 seconds. Once the first quarter of the rep is complete, you accelerate the pace and complete the rest of the movement where you once again will pause, this time at the top part of the movement. In this position, one should consciously cramp and squeeze the pectoral muscles together as if one were trying to hold a 5 pound plate between their pecs. After this occurs, the set continues, again with a slow and controlled descent, a pause and exaggerated stretch at the bottom and then a very slow and controlled ascent for the first quarter of the movement. This really is not rocket science, but in terms of muscle growth it will be like discovering plutonium. You will be lucky to get 4-6 reps in this manner and in many cases, 3-4, but if you understand anything about Beyond Failure Training you will know that the sooner you can get the muscle to failure, the sooner you can go Beyond Failure, and the sooner you go Beyond Failure, the sooner the set will be over and the sooner the set is over, the greater the intensity which will yield greater gains!
If you are serious about experiencing extreme intensity, extreme pain and eventually extreme results, give ZMR's a try. You will have to check your ego at the door and get comfortable with the idea of 100-200lbs. less with your bench but having it look and feel 100-200 times more difficult. And for those who think that you will not get strong this way understand this??You are only as strong as your weakest link??.Strengthen the weakest link and you strengthen the entire chain. After a few months you will be back up to the same poundage you were using before, except rather than throwing the weight off your chest to impress the local fitness beauty doing lunges in the corner, you will be taking a slow, solitary and unbearably excruciating dance with the Demon of Pain??.and trust me?he don't give a **** what you can bench.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #29
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

Yesterday's Shoulder and Triceps workout
Shoulders
Side Cable Laterals
45ls x 6+8, 25 x 3+8, 15 x 2+8 one arm at a time
Smith Machine Shoulder Presses
165lbs x 4+8, 115 x 2+8, 65 x 2+8
Tricep Extensions using Body Masters Squat
100lbs x 12+8, 50 x 6+8, carriage weight x 6+8
Body Masters Seated Tricep Press
270lbs x 15+8, 170lbs x 6+8, 110 x 24+8

all reps were ZMR style for shoulders, triceps were usual reps plus forced reps
the ZMRs really made a big difference in the amount of weight handled today.

-Matt Cena
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #30
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Interesting read on the ZMR's Matt. Thanks for posting that.

"Everyone seems to think having a strict diet is hardcore. Wrong! Itís so easy. There is no strain or effort. You just follow the damn diet! Hardcore is stuffing your face to the point where you feel like youíre going to pop and then going to get a milkshake." --Dave "Fuckin'" Tate

Formerly El_Animal
Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #31
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

Thursday
Back and Biceps
Back
Incline Cable Pullovers
30lbs x 20 wu
100lbs x 6+6, 70 x 4+6, 40 x 3+6, 20 x 3+6
120lbs x 4+6, 90 x 3+6, 40 x 4+6, 20 x 6+6
-1st set used ZMRs second set regular repetitions
Seated Cable Rows
250lbs x 12+6, 150 x 5+6, 90 x 4+6, 70 x 6+6
Assisted Pullups
Bodyweight x 2+6, bw+50 x 2+6, bw+100 3+6, bw+160 x 3+6
ZMRS attempted here
Biceps
Hammer Strength Preacher Curls
100lbs x 7+8, 75 x 6+8, 50 x 4+8, 25 x 6+8
High Cable Curls Two Arm
65lbs x 3+6, 45 x 4+6, 25 x 4+6

Notes: I went to quad drops on most exercises as I feel I am still progressing and could possibly handle more of a workload.
I will never again use pullups in this training style as I canno get nearly enough repetitions.
ZMRs will be used only on the equipment which I can perfrom reps with the weight stack as an intensity technique for the rest of this first phase.

-Matt Cena

Last edited by Genetix; 08-04-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #32
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Are you using ZMR's on the pull-ups?

Formerly El_Animal
Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #33
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

I tried to, which resulted in a drastic drop of repetitions from where I expected to be. As a result during my BFT programs I will no longer be performing pullups.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #34
BodyFangs
Heavyweight Member

Went crazy on the pullovers! Very nice workout!
BodyFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #35
RedSkull
TEAMSKIP.net web designer

maybe Rack Chins would be a good alternative to pullups. Lighter resistance (obviously) and they isolate the lats a bit better (no way of cheating).
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #36
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

I will give those a try next workout, rack chins it is! I can't wait for back now.

Today is Quads Hamstrings and Calves. I will be heading to the gym a little after 12 to meet with my regular training partner and a friend of ours whom we have formerly trained with, he has no idea what he is getting himself into. The best part of it all is that he was saying last night how he would be able to go through anything with that "You know me Cena, I can train with the best of them. Whatever you guys got I am sure I'll be able to do it wthout a problem."
Give me around three hours and I will post the results.

-Matt Cena
Old 08-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #37
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

Well legs will be tommorow as BOTH partners for the day backed out and I could not find anyone in the gym who was competent or willing to assist me in about eighty forced reps for leg extensions and more on presses and squats. I got agrivated and left the gym.
I will train legs tommorow regardless and may implement the rest pause theory if I can't find anybody to help me tommorow. Take care.

-matt cena
Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #38
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Sometimes you just ogtta do what you can Matt. Kick ass tomorrow.

Formerly El_Animal
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 AM   #39
never2strong

First, I wanted to say I'm a huge fan of BFT training and therefore I'm loving your journal; keep it up. Second, I've got a couple questions if you get a chance: do you keep up this training style when competition gets closer? If so, what do you do about cardio for getting ripped, as Trevor Smith always seemed to emphasize how hard it would be to mix cardio with the training. Also, I know your not training for strength, and I'm not going to ask you something stupid like how much do you bench, but I am wondering what kind of strength gains you see with this training?
never2strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #40
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

never2strong, Thanks I am glad that you are enjoying the journal.
When training for my last competition I did not train in true BFT fashion, I did, however, train to failure and heavy and kept that style the entire way through pretty much.
Cardio wise, I will find out but I believe that it would be possible to utilize cardio with the training while prepping for a contest. The training itself is brutal so in my estimation cardio would have to be performed in a seperate session.
My strength feels incredible. I have never used the Pectoral Fly machine with more than the stack and in these past two weeks I have added 75lbs to it. I feel the ZMR's help out as well for strength and once I get a better gauge of the weights I need to use and the drops from those I will be able to better assess my true strength increase. For lege extensions as well I was using the 250lb stack pllus a 25lb plate with my training partner pushing down on the pad last week.
I will post todays "Hybrid" workout tommorow when I post Chest and Calf workout as I do not have it with me. I worked out with my girlfriend who attempted the program prior to her 1hr1/2 cardio session. We did extensions and one leg curls. I will post all numbers tommorow.

-Matt Cena
Old 08-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #41
RedSkull

Sucks about not being able to find someone to help. I'm interested in how you find the rack chins...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #42
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

SUnday
QUads and Hamstrings
Leg Extensions
100lbs x 15 wu
250lbs x 4+6, 150 x 3+4, 90 x 3+4*
250 x 3+2, 250 x 3+2, 250 x 2+2**
*ZMR reps used, WOW what a difference. Intense pain, I trained with my girlfriend who was nice enough to spot me and I could see the high forced reps were taking their toll on her.
**Rest Pause ZMR sets, good variation for intensity! These seemed easier for her to spot and they were definitely painful to perform.
Hamstrings
1 Leg Standing Curls
120lbs x 4+4, 80lbs x 4+4, 40 x 4+4, 20 x 10 per leg

Done. I had to improvise. I realized there was no way we would be able to do forced reps on leg press. I skipped calves because Monday is a scheduled calf day.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #43
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

Monday
Chest and Calves

Well, it happened today. I was injured during BFT training, but before the critics give me the "I told you so's" hear me out. I had just finished my set of bench presses and it was time for my training prartner to perform his second set. WHile standing next to the bench and atempting to not pass out I missed him racking the bar and requiring me to strip the weight. The other spotter yelle dover and when I went to pull the 25lb plate I dropped it right ontop of my foot directly above my ankle. I didn't get to train calves as a result because it swelled up rather nicely and quickly.
Here was the workout:
Chest
BodyMasters Pectoral Flyes
50lbs x 10 wu*
100lbs x 8* wu
200lbs x 3+6, 150 x 1+4, 100 x 2+4, 50 x 3+4*
200lbs x 2+6, 150 x 1+6, 100 x 1+6, 50 x 3+6*
*ALl sets were ZMR reps. These are very painful and very time consuming but they without a doubt get the job done! It felt like my pecs were being peeled off of my sternum. After two sets my face was covered in sweat and beet red, my eyes blood shot, and there are still two sets of presses to get done.
Flat Bench Board Presses
345lbs x 0+6, 245 x 3+6, 195 x 3+6, 145 x 2+6, 95 x 15
-in between these two sets is where I dropped the plate on my ankle.
295lbs x 1+7, 245 x 2+6, 195 x 3+5, 145 x 2+6, 95 x 10

After finishing the presses and noting that my ankle was swelling, red and in pain I decided against performing calves. Upon arriving home it was post workout shake and ice the ankle. It took about three minutes to put my boots on for work tonight but hopefully I will recover quick, shouldn't be that bad I don't think.
Tommorow is shoulders and triceps.

-Matt Cena
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #44
BodyFangs
Heavyweight Member

Awsome work man, wish i could do board presses!! - Keep it going man!
BodyFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #45
RedSkull

Fuck! At least it wasn't the toe. Good workout all the same.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #46
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Ouch,

I don't think there will be any "critics" of BFT here. Almost everyone trains DC style and that's about as close to BFT as it gets. Moreoever, ANYONE can get hurt in the weight room the way you did.

Hope you recover soon bro.

Formerly El_Animal
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #47
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

8/8
Tuesday
Shoulders and Triceps
Cable Side Laterals
25lbs x 12 wu
55lbs x 3+6, 35 x 3+6, 25 x 2+8, 15 x 4+6
55lbs x 2 +8, 35 x 2+8, 25 x 2+8, 15 x 4+8
Bodymasters Shoulder Press
250lbs x 6+6, 200 x 4+6, 120 x4+6, 50 x 4+6**
**these were all ZMR reps which means pauses at both top and bottom portion of the movement and prressing slowly
Tricep Pressdowns
140lbs x 10+6, 100 x 6+6, 60 x 5+2, 30 x 30
150 x 10, 100 x 10, 60 x 10, 30 x 40
-these were not done in BFT fashion, pressdowns performed at a lat pulldown station.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #48
Genetix
Bantamweight Member

The reason for my lack of workouts, I was ill. I have had stomach problems in the past and experienced them again since Monday afternoon of last week, affecting my workout there as well but not as much.
I was told after my first round of CAT scans back in June that everythinbg was o.k. and they couldn't at that time find anything wrong. Last week was round two of CAT scans and I was told there was a problem.
I was diagnosed and told I have diverticulitis, which is what caused my severe stomach pains. I have been given changes I need to make and am feeling better already. I will be training again today, after a week of an unexpected layoff and will post that when I finish. I can't wait to get back into the gym today.

-Matt Cena
Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #49
IronBrendan
Super-heavyweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetix
The reason for my lack of workouts, I was ill. I have had stomach problems in the past and experienced them again since Monday afternoon of last week, affecting my workout there as well but not as much.
I was told after my first round of CAT scans back in June that everythinbg was o.k. and they couldn't at that time find anything wrong. Last week was round two of CAT scans and I was told there was a problem.
I was diagnosed and told I have diverticulitis, which is what caused my severe stomach pains. I have been given changes I need to make and am feeling better already. I will be training again today, after a week of an unexpected layoff and will post that when I finish. I can't wait to get back into the gym today.

-Matt Cena
Sorry to hear about the stomach problems Matt. I hope everything works out OK and you have a great workout.

Formerly El_Animal
Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #50
RedSkull

I wondered where your workouts were Matt. Good luck with the diverticulitis. Glad you're feeling somewhat better already.

What do you think of the BFT gains thus far? (If you don't think it's too early to ask)