Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com
   








Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > Main Forums > General Conversation Forum

General Conversation Forum Casual talk for off-topic discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #51
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
My point was that even with 11 dimensions, string theory still doesn't work. It's not even a theory. I like this wonderful quote from Jim Holt from The New Yorker magazine: "Yet, for all this activity, not a single new testable prediction has been made, not a single theoretical puzzle has been solved. In fact, there is no theory so farójust a set of hunches and calculations suggesting that a theory might exist." I take issue with anyone referring to string theory as "coherent." Quantum field theory is incoherent enough; string theory is WAY the hell out there.

haha....I remember seeing a quote somewhere where someone said "the strongest evidence that "string theory" is on the right track is that Ed Witten believes in it." lol
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #52
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
HOLY FUCKING MOSES

stop posting so I can respond

k thx
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #53
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
archaeopteryx lithographica,

What do you know about superconductivity? I was asked by one of my professors if I'd be interested in doing research with her in superconductivity.
Because I'm eager to do research and too stupid to realize when I'm in over my head, I lied and said I was very interested in it. lol

I've checked out some of her publications and everything has been high temperature type-II superconductor stuff. Seems she's into vortex dynamics in high temp superconductors (who isn't right...).

I've been reading up on superconductors as much as possible, but if you have any quick info....that would be very helpful.
Because I have some weird fixation with finding a way to derive every formula from Newton's second law, I was excited to see I could derive one of the London equations from that. If she meets with me to talk more about it, my plan is to wait for that to come up and say "Oh yes, but of course....the London equations....you can derive this one from F=ma like this..." I figure that will buy me a minute or two, during which time I'm hoping a fire will start and we'll have to cut the meeting short before she asks any questions of substance. lol
Not much; it's outside my sphere of interest. Condensed matter stuff never held my attention very well. I dare say you know more about it now than I do. I would hazard a guess that as the temperature approaches absolute zero, many of the the atoms and molecules in the substance begin to approach their minimum energy states. Maybe this allows their electric and magnetic fields to align more easily due to less disruptions in the amalgamation of their fields. Or maybe it allows for their wavefunctions to start coalescing somehow, who knows. Frankly I find condensed matter physics too inelegant and haphazard for my tastes. I am quite the physics snob.

How the fuck did you get the London equation from Newton's 2nd? You do realize that Newton's 2nd equation is just the classical approximation to much more complicated laws of energy and motion, nyet? Give up on Newtonian crap and start putting your energy into Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. You will SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO need that shit when it comes time for quantum field theory. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
Oh holy Christ don't mention that or Tommy will start up again

Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
Test the theory how?
In terms of experimental evidence of "strings" or branes? Unless we get a particle accelerator the length of the universe, we're going to have trouble with that. lol
If by testing you mean the ability to predict and describe events, then all it ever really needs to be is a mathematical model.
Actually I have seen a fair number of potential ways that string theory might be experimentally detectable, or at least some results/implications of it. Granted none of them DIRECTLY detect a string, but they would test for some of the theoretical predictions of it. For example, detection of supersymmetric particles at the LHC would be a very strong indicator that string theory has something to it. I just think people get carried away that string theory is THE UNIFICATION THEORY AND SOLVES EVERYTHING!!!!11one

Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
haha....I remember seeing a quote somewhere where someone said "the strongest evidence that "string theory" is on the right track is that Ed Witten believes in it." lol
That's not a bad reason if you ask me. He might not be the best lecturer (if you've ever heard him talk you'll know what I mean) but the guys a goddamned genius when it comes to mathematical physics. The accuracy of his intuition about the universe has yet to be displayed, though.

Also I'm gonna need you to fly down to Tennessee for a few months and train me.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #54
kroxic
Light-heavyweight Member
 
kroxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Squatting
Posts: 1,041
I like reading all this physicsy stuff but I have been waiting for a chance to use this picture. I think DinoBird will approve.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Bunny-pancake.gif (55.0 KB, 44 views)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use the code ECH436 at the checkout
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and save
kroxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #55
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroxic View Post
I like reading all this physicsy stuff but I have been waiting for a chance to use this picture. I think DinoBird will approve.
Duly noted.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #56
TommyKav
Lightweight Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post

The Alcubierre metric exploits a property of space so create the end result of FTL traven. However, relativistic velocities are not achieved locally and relativistic time dialation is negated. due to its reliance on massive amounts of negative mass energy it seems at this point with our current understanding of the universe impossible to achieve. there has been work done with this equation to eliminate the necessity for the negative mass energy and to a degree this work has been quite successful. it should be noted that the new theories however use an idea closer to quantumn tunneling to create the same warping of space.
TommyKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #57
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post

How the fuck did you get the London equation from Newton's 2nd? You do realize that Newton's 2nd equation is just the classical approximation to much more complicated laws of energy and motion, nyet? Give up on Newtonian crap and start putting your energy into Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. You will SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO need that shit when it comes time for quantum field theory. Ugh.

Lagrangian....I get that from F=ma too.
Use conservation of energy to get the principle of least action. You can prove that particles "know" to follow the path of least action if and only if F=ma holds.
Then, take F= -gradV = dp/dt
And, since the conjugate momenta is p=dL/dq* (the * is supposed to be above the q for time derivative)
Then F=dp/dt =d/dt(dL/dq*) = dL/dq
I don't think that's exactly anything novel...I think they teach it from that derivation, but I still like to think of the relation when solving the motion of a system.

I just like finding links back to F=dp/dt...don't know why, it just feels like I understand it when I can trace it back to that....even if it's a false derivation. lol

For Londons equations,
E=d/dt(⋀J) (⋀=m/ne≤)

Then, compute the response to a uniform electric field of a perfect normal conductor (ie: a free-electron gas with mean free path l=∞)
Then, d(mv)/dt=eE (e is electron charge)
Since J=nev, you get F=d/dt(mne≤v/ne≤)
All the superfluous junk cancels out leaving F=dp/dt

Kind of a forced derivation...lol But, kind of neat.

I actually learned Lagrangian dynamics before I learned all of Newtonian mechanics. Once I saw how "cool" the Euler-lagrange equations looked, I had to learn them.
Even today, if I have a massless, frictionless pulley (lol) and am supposed to use "Newton" to solve, I have to solve the equations of motion with the Lagrangian and then go back and figure out the forces to give me the same answer. lol
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com

Last edited by troponin; 10-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #58
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
Not much; it's outside my sphere of interest. Condensed matter stuff never held my attention very well. I dare say you know more about it now than I do. I would hazard a guess that as the temperature approaches absolute zero, many of the the atoms and molecules in the substance begin to approach their minimum energy states. Maybe this allows their electric and magnetic fields to align more easily due to less disruptions in the amalgamation of their fields. Or maybe it allows for their wavefunctions to start coalescing somehow, who knows. Frankly I find condensed matter physics too inelegant and haphazard for my tastes. I am quite the physics snob.
For the record....I couldn't agree more. I've even told my wife that if for some reason a top school made me an amazing offer for grad school....in solid state (or CMP for that matter), and NO other schools offered me anything, I would just not go to grad school. lol

I'd prefer to stay as theoretical as possible. But I'll be applying to programs soon and need some undergraduate research on my application....so I'll take anything that comes along. I just transfered to Western Michigan University and will only be there about a year, so I won't have much time to get to know professors and get research.

At this point, I'm not even sure I don't want to do mathematics. I want to do mathematical physics, but I'm right on the boarder between math and physics.....there are some Math departments with theoretical physics groups that look great....and there are some Physics departments with mathematical physics programs that look great.

If I had to pic a field, I suppose I'd like to do something in the cosmology/relativity/never get funding field. lol

I'll come to Tennessee to train you if you'll help me with GR...serious.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #59
marlon
Middleweight Member
 
marlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 565
Thanks for that PDF Dino-bird. I really liked seeing you work through that equation.

And now the Trop and Dino interaction is mind boggling.
marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #60
TommyKav
Lightweight Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 339
aclubierre's metric fixed to lower negative mass energy...its about half way down the page......
http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap13.htm

also...
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ht/FTL.html#11

Last edited by TommyKav; 10-09-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: forgot the one wiht quantum tunneling.
TommyKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #61
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
For the record....I couldn't agree more. I've even told my wife that if for some reason a top school made me an amazing offer for grad school....in solid state (or CMP for that matter), and NO other schools offered me anything, I would just not go to grad school. lol

I'd prefer to stay as theoretical as possible. But I'll be applying to programs soon and need some undergraduate research on my application....so I'll take anything that comes along. I just transfered to Western Michigan University and will only be there about a year, so I won't have much time to get to know professors and get research.

At this point, I'm not even sure I don't want to do mathematics. I want to do mathematical physics, but I'm right on the boarder between math and physics.....there are some Math departments with theoretical physics groups that look great....and there are some Physics departments with mathematical physics programs that look great.

If I had to pic a field, I suppose I'd like to do something in the cosmology/relativity/never get funding field. lol

I'll come to Tennessee to train you if you'll help me with GR...serious.
Dude, check out Indiana University. They have a great joint program in math and physics. That's essentially my dream gig. Since you like the theoretical and mathematical stuff like me, don't discount theoretical high-energy physics. The mathematics is even more esoteric and abstract than in relativity, and it's one of the areas that needs the most work and research in it right now.

And yes, grab ANY UG research experiences you can get your hands on. It's so unbelievably valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon View Post
Thanks for that PDF Dino-bird. I really liked seeing you work through that equation.

And now the Trop and Dino interaction is mind boggling.
If you think that's mind-boggling, you should hear us talk about beer and titties.

Marlon what mathematics classes have you taken? If you've had vector calculus then I can start showing you all kinds of fun stuff.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #62
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
I'll come to Tennessee to train you if you'll help me with GR...serious.
I'll tell you what, if you can free up some time after I send off all my grad school stuff, I will make a couple of lectures to give you if you will help me train for my PL meet. I need to break the TN state records in raw DL and SQ.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #63
TommyKav
Lightweight Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 339
damn i wish i would have tried to get into grad school out of college. its been 7 years since i graduated and want to go back now. i just have no idea where to start. i was thinking of taking a few classes at a close by state school to brush up on math skills. maybe even get a job in the athletic department so i can take classes for free. any suggestions on where to start? i tried to contact the head of the physics department where i graduated but unfortunately for me he has since retired.
TommyKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #64
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyKav View Post
damn i wish i would have tried to get into grad school out of college. its been 7 years since i graduated and want to go back now. i just have no idea where to start. i was thinking of taking a few classes at a close by state school to brush up on math skills. maybe even get a job in the athletic department so i can take classes for free. any suggestions on where to start? i tried to contact the head of the physics department where i graduated but unfortunately for me he has since retired.
Download a free copy of the physics GRE from ETS' web site (http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Physics.pdf) and see how many you can get right. If you can get a decent score (650+) then you can probably start applying now. If not, you might want to take some refresher courses. And never discount the power of self-study. If you can prove that you're ready for graduate study by doing well on the GRE, then you have a decent chance of getting a position somewhere.

Frankly if you haven't been doing any work to keep fresh on the material, then after 7 years chances are you will need to take some refresher classes of some sort.

I got absurdly lucky and landed a job at Vanderbilt University, so I get to take some physics classes for free next semester (yay classical, quantum, or E&M!). Even if I don't get into a program this year, I almost certainly will the next go-around.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #65
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
I'll tell you what, if you can free up some time after I send off all my grad school stuff, I will make a couple of lectures to give you if you will help me train for my PL meet. I need to break the TN state records in raw DL and SQ.
I don't have a single person on earth to talk Physics with....everything I've learned has been almost entirely self-taught...so the opportunity to talk to someone about physics would be fantastic. I can definitely free up time to get together.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #66
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
I think I just got a boyfriend.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #67
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
Dude, check out Indiana University. They have a great joint program in math and physics. That's essentially my dream gig. Since you like the theoretical and mathematical stuff like me, don't discount theoretical high-energy physics. The mathematics is even more esoteric and abstract than in relativity, and it's one of the areas that needs the most work and research in it right now.

And yes, grab ANY UG research experiences you can get your hands on. It's so unbelievably valuable.
Yeah, Indiana is on my list for sure.
Cornell would be my dream school.
Columbia and Brown have Applied Mathematics programs for Theoretical physics that give me a nerd boner too.
I'm sure there's no chance in hell that I'll get in at one of my dream programs, but I haven't started applying yet so I still amuse myself with the hope. lol

I've really liked Western Michigan University so far....the profs have been fantastic and encouraging, so I'll be applying there. The only program they have that I think I'd enjoy is Nuclear or maaayyybbbe Astronomy...but their top Astronomer is an observational spectroscopist. I'd love to do something in Cosmology, but I couldn't do experimental. I just want to spend my day doing mathematical shenanigans. lol
My wife is working in the area and my kids are starting school in the area...it's going to be hard to uproot my family and move the kids away from the grandparents to study in another state.
Not to mention, my wife is licensed in Michigan and would have to go through the process of getting a license in whatever state we end up in....so I'm doing my best to tell myself that WMU has something I'd be interested in. lol
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #68
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
I think I just got a boyfriend.
lol.....I have a history of oiling up and posing in front of a crowd of people in a thong. I suppose that is the next logical step. lol
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #69
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
Yeah, Indiana is on my list for sure.
Cornell would be my dream school.
Columbia and Brown have Applied Mathematics programs for Theoretical physics that give me a nerd boner too.
I'm sure there's no chance in hell that I'll get in at one of my dream programs, but I haven't started applying yet so I still amuse myself with the hope. lol

I've really liked Western Michigan University so far....the profs have been fantastic and encouraging, so I'll be applying there. The only program they have that I think I'd enjoy is Nuclear or maaayyybbbe Astronomy...but their top Astronomer is an observational spectroscopist. I'd love to do something in Cosmology, but I couldn't do experimental. I just want to spend my day doing mathematical shenanigans. lol
My wife is working in the area and my kids are starting school in the area...it's going to be hard to uproot my family and move the kids away from the grandparents to study in another state.
Not to mention, my wife is licensed in Michigan and would have to go through the process of getting a license in whatever state we end up in....so I'm doing my best to tell myself that WMU has something I'd be interested in. lol
The family thing is a hard problem to solve. I'm wrestling with that one also (albeit to a MUCH lesser degree). I would suggest trying for Vanderbilt for you to study and for your wife to work at except that Tennessee is a fucking cesspool of ignorance, misery, and shitty weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
lol.....I have a history of oiling up and posing in front of a crowd of people in a thong. I suppose that is the next logical step. lol
Well, to be fair I have the same history, but it has nothing to do with bodybuilding. I mean, I had to pay for school somehow.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #70
troponin
Roundtable Expert
 
troponin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopteryx lithographica View Post
I would suggest trying for Vanderbilt for you to study and for your wife to work at except that Tennessee is a fucking cesspool of ignorance, misery, and shitty weather.
I'm checking out Vanderbilt's catalogue right now. I can't find any real definite "pre-planned" schedule for grad students. Do they let you pick and choose your classes right off the bat?
The course list looks pretty cool...there is independent study every semester, they have GR & Cosmology, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Math Methods this fall; last spring, they had QFT and Particle Physics.
That's a pretty f'n sweet list of courses.

Do you have any other info about Vanderbilt that you could email me?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smarter nutrition for harder athletes

www.protegenutrition.com
troponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #71
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
I'm checking out Vanderbilt's catalogue right now. I can't find any real definite "pre-planned" schedule for grad students. Do they let you pick and choose your classes right off the bat?
The course list looks pretty cool...there is independent study every semester, they have GR & Cosmology, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Math Methods this fall; last spring, they had QFT and Particle Physics.
That's a pretty f'n sweet list of courses.

Do you have any other info about Vanderbilt that you could email me?
E-mail, yes. Post on the board, no. I will send you some personal experiences tonight. However, if your wife works in health care, Vandy is a FANTASTIC place to work. The benefits are absolutely phenomenal.
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #72
davidb
Middleweight Member
 
davidb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyKav View Post
i was thinking about this all night. it is a grim outcome. all of the energy in the universe will be uniformly distributed throughout the expance. but how will it interact with the different fields. they should not decay. if they are an intrinsic part of the fabric of the universe interactions of forces may continue. if interactions continue between energy and the 4 forces that would change smootheness of this final state. once it is no longer smoothe the interactions become more pronounced in the denser regions. which could begin a chain reaction and start the process all over again. all it should take is one tiny ripple.
Oh wow...just noticed this thread...a thread about astronomy and physics on a BB message board. Very cool. Do any of you guys post on space.com by any chance?

Tommy...this is the exact thought I've had too. It would help explain the apparent paradox of not having the great crunch presents. Another thought I had with this expands on the idea of the "branes". If the universe is one bubble within a vast expansion of "universes", and when our universe eventually expands into perfect uniformity, the broken up matter could eventually interact with another "bubble" of a universe or potentially the particles of another universe that has gone perfectly flat. Thus causing a disruption and either a collapse of our universe, or the potential that a whole new universe is created as matter is "mixed". This could also help to explain quantum physics and the paradox of random appearance of particles. What if those are the remnants of a perfectly smooth universe that has been ripped apart and what if our universe is already impacting a previously ripped apart universe causing the next one to be in the beginning stages of being created as we speak?
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #73
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625
 
Sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,247
I am bumping this because I am taking the Physics GRE tomorrow and I need some questions to:
1) help me remember things about physics, and
2) distract me from having a panic attack about tomorrow
__________________
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
kind of a douche
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #74
dropshot001
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at the table, gym or elliptical
Posts: 6,198
good luck on your gre!
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #75
Jeff Grant
Intense Muscle Competitor
 
Jeff Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 811
For the second question, I’ll take the latter half first: “How does gravity affect time?” It turns out that gravity makes time go MORE SLOWLY. Let’s say we have two astronauts in orbit around a very large star. The astronauts synchronize their clocks so that they read the same time (12:00 PM) and are running at the same speed. Then one of the astronauts travels right next to the star, so that he can feel its gravity very strongly. He stays there for a while, then travels back to where the second astronaut is. When they compare their clocks, let’s say the clock of the astronaut who was stationary reads 2:00 PM. The clock of the astronaut who was near the star will read a time that is BEFORE 2:00 PM. This is because the presence of gravity SLOWS DOWN TIME!

I have a wierd question for you about this...

Since gravity affects time, How exactly does NASA keep track of time? I mean in regard to things like sending rovers to Mars, even sending a shuttle to the moon or having men in the spacestation. As a shuttle leaves earth for instance, the gravity lessens, thereby speeding up time. It travels on its way to Jupiter. The farther the shuttle gets away from earth, the less gravity there is in space, therefore speeding up time even more. As it arrives at its Jupiter destination, the gravity increases, thereby causing time to slow down again. If an astronaut on the shuttle steps outside of the craft onto the surface of Jupiter to take a stroll, would the watch on his arm read the same time as the watch of somebody on earth? Or is the variation in gravity during the journey not enough to alter time? I have no idea why I need to know this... :-)


Great thread by the way! I just found it...
__________________
It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jeff Grant; 11-07-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Jeff Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.






Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Indexed by Enginuity