Get Adobe Flash player
IntenseMuscle.com

Go Back   IntenseMuscle.com > The Intense Muscle Gourmet > The Bulking Lounge

The Bulking Lounge Offseason recipes for health, bodybuilding and building muscle while keeping body fat in the sensible percentages.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
tstanfill

How many shakes a day is too much

With my schedule eating a lot of whole meals a day is difficult. I am currently drinking about 5 40g/protein shakes per day to get my protein in for the day. Should i try to eat more whole food??
tstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
ScottMcDonough
Intense Muscle Vet

You should try yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.
ScottMcDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Defense

If you are going to rely on shakes I recommend using casein (although whole food would certainly be better).

Edit to include: I just came across Tyson pre-cooked grilled chicken in a bag the other day at the grocery store. You can eat them cold or nuke them for a minute and they are moist.

Last edited by Defense; 06-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
steve56
Banned

lets say your eating 6 meals...i would say no more then 3 and try not to have back to back shake meals.....something like this..i think anyone no matter what schedule can follow this

meal 1 - whole food
meal 2- shake
meal 3- whole food
meal 4- shake
meal 5- whole food
meal 6- shake
steve56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
warrenpeace
Lightweight Member

Yeah, tupperware is your friend. A pre-cooked chicken and rice combination can be eaten cold in a pinch. But if you're really on the go, you should theoretically still have time to sit down for whole food meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner. *If your employer follows common labour law practices, that is. Then fill the gaps with shakes.

You'll have most around here advocating a 70/30 or 60/40 approach to protein consumption (whole food vs. liquid), but as long as you're getting your meals in on time you should be okay.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
dropshot001
Banned

try to get more whole food in, but if you ABSOLUTELY cannot then i guess shakes are you only option. you have to work with what you got.
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Lock it Up
Intense Muscle Competitor

This topic again huh? LOL

IMO if it is your only option, then honestly I see no problem with having every meal of the day a shake. Of course, that's not to say it's ideal, or you should be doing that at all, or you should do that every day or even on a semi regular basis, but I have done it in the past.

Ever put into a situation where you can't eat all day? Like, being stuck in the hospital for days with a loved one? Or something along those lines? Shakes become your best friend.

I agree with everyone though that whole food is certainly what you should strive for, but I see no problem with staggering your meals as whole food, shake, whole food, shake etc. I mean, if you're eating 8-10 times a day, it's pretty tough to eat whole food all day. You should try, but it's tough. Mix some stuff in your shakes like oats, evoo, natty pb etc and you have a good bit of calories.

Just my opinion. I have been staggering my shake to food intake for around 2 years now, and I haven't slowed down my progress a bit.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
-1st SuperHeavy Gi
2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
-1st Heavyweight Gi
2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
just type in
MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life
Lock it Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
tstanfill

i can usually get 3 whole meals a day. It's just that I weigh 241 and really need 450+ protein/day and i just use the shakes to get that number up. Whats the most protein per shake that you guys think is not too much?
tstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Defense

I think it really depends on the type of protein. I have no problem having 4 shakes a day as long as its a slow digesting protein. I personally do not use whey and when I did it was never more than 3 times a day. The problem that I have is all I eat is chicken. I do not like eggs or fish (I will eat beef occassionally). This makes my diet and food choices very limited.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
ScottMcDonough
Intense Muscle Vet

He asked if he should try... well yeah, TRY lol. Certain circumstances and schedules are going to make it harder/impossible to get the majority of nutrients from regular foods but if guys aren't even trying and just living on shakes because they are lazy... come on now. LIU I've seen your situation and your progress and diet quantities speak for themselves, not talking about guys like you doing 4-5 whole food meals and 3-4 shakes a day... totally different and you know what you're doing.

Many people aren't prioritizing this stuff like they could, if you watch Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives each week... turn on the oven and bake a few lbs of chicken and or fire up the grill and sear some steak while you post on Intensemuscle/Facebook/Fantasy Feeder Steam some rice at the same time. Boil some broccoli or asparagus during a single commercial break. Microwave a handful of potatoes/sweet pots. Brown some ground beef/turkey crumbles and rinse them off.

Have some almonds/cashews/peanut butter handy and carry that stuff around with you. Tuna packets come in varying sizes, dump some relish and maybe salt/mayo in there and eat it out of the bag. Bags of rice cakes, some dried/easily portable fruit if that's your thing.

If you prep food, and literally have it on your person all day you can most likely find a way to eat 3-4(or more)x a day unless you have the most hellacious schedule ever. I try to make my diet as idiot proof as possible and cut all my protein sources/season everything so I can literally scarf it down at work. Last night I was shoveling ice with one hand and eating ground turkey+salsa and green beans covered in peanut butter with the other lol. It wasn't pretty, I didn't get to enjoy my food or eat as many veggies as I'd like but I got my meal in about the time I was supposed to and moved on till the next one.

Most of the guys complaining about not having time aren't trying very hard.

If you really are one of those guys who can't eat (Tommykav on here comes to mind)... well you just have to do what you gotta do and hope for the best.

Quote:
Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Last edited by ScottMcDonough; 06-04-2010 at 01:24 PM.
ScottMcDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
DCBliever

A wise man once told me no more than 2 and not back 2 back. Just sayin'
DCBliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Daniel7908
Middleweight Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock_it_Up View Post
Ever put into a situation where you can't eat all day? Like, being stuck in the hospital for days with a loved one? Or something along those lines? Shakes become your best friend.
I found out about that when my little son was born last November... It sure sucked not to be able to have whole food for most of the time, but for five days I relied almost entirely on Supreme Protein Bars, lightly-salted mixed nuts and protein powders while my wife was in hospital.

She could barely get out of bed because of her c-section, so when our little one started whining, for whatever reason, I was the only one who could jump off the couch and go check on him in a couple of seconds. Even when I felt that I was so damn tired that I'd sleep like a rock, any little sound from our little one got me on my feet straight away (even when I was actually asleep.) And when things seemed calm enough for me to perhaps walk a couple of hundred yards to get a real meal from a restaurant in a doggy bag, well, it was always too late at night for anything to be open around here.

In any case, it was still way better to make do with shakes and bars than with crackers, water or the extremely protein-depleted meals I could have gotten from the hospital cafeteria. At least my wife's meals were decent and, given what she'd gone through, they sure had to be that way.
Daniel7908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
hilly

IMO as scott said theres never an excuse of very rarely. Ive seen myself sat on the tool box 20 stories up eating food surrounded by plasterboard while every1 is eating, then necking a shake 2 hours later.

get as much solid food as you can but a shake is better than nothing thats for dam sure
hilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
SAHD
Light-heavyweight Member

I like wraps, you can get whole meal or rice wraps that have very little carb as well (5g), then fill them with strips of chicken and greens and a bit of either salsa, sweet onion, sweet chilli, satay or cesar dressings and your off. I can get 200g of chicken or beef or lamb in one of these with veg and then in a cold bag and carry it around. You can eat these one hand too if you are driving.

For higher carbs my gran use to get large sheets of fresh pasta and fold it into a pocket, fill it with cooked meat and veg mix (chicken, onion, peas, celery and carrot ect almost ground) then boil till the pasta was cooked then lightly fry to firm the pasta up again. You could then carry these around and nuke them also.

For low carb of the above use cooked large cabbage leaves and wrap them around the meat and other veg.

These are all great tasting and go anywhere foods that are sort of in their own bag. She grew up in rural Poland and that is how they took their food off to work prior to tupperware.

Note that the cabbage and pasta wraps freeze and keep for 6 months so do it on days off and you can have months worth prepared in one go.
SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #15
rezistor
Lightweight Member

Scott, great post!

On Sundays I grill a buttload of chicken breasts, pork chops or steaks, and brown and rinse ground beef, for the rest of the week. When I was eating it, I'd also make about four cups of brown rice or pearled barley and bake about six or eight sweet potatoes. It's also easy to boil, steam or grill a ton of veggies. Then it'd all gets weighed (when I'm cutting) and put into ziplocks or tupperwear. If I was really that rushed I'd eat it cold. VERY rarely was I actually ever in a situation where I truly couldn't eat my stuff - it takes me all of 5 minutes or less if need be.

But, there have been those few times where shakes had to do, but that really is few and far between. I truly believe with a little advance preparation and creativity there's no reason why a person can't have whole foods most of the time, and my job was VERY demanding and busy at times.
rezistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
JCD

Most groceries sell lean turkey or chicken sausages, some of which even come pre-cooked. These can be microwaved on a bun for a bratwurst type lunch, or even eaten cold if you were so inclined.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
ronnieron

try and get 2/3 of protein from food and 1/3 from shakes.
200g food and 100g from shakes
ronnieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
notsonatural
Bantamweight Member

when you guys cook a bunch of chickn, rice, and what not on sunday.How long does the food stay good for if stored in the containers. I've heard the life is 3-4 days. I would like your opions on this.

Nothing great comes without sacrifice- Oscar Ardon

True Protein get the best supplements

want a discount? enter code:WAN585 for 5% to 10% off
notsonatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
v1hyp

I agree with Scott. If time permits then more solid foods but in the end yua gotta do what yua gotta do to meet those numbers at the end of the day!

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #20
dropshot001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsonatural View Post
when you guys cook a bunch of chickn, rice, and what not on sunday.How long does the food stay good for if stored in the containers. I've heard the life is 3-4 days. I would like your opions on this.
It will last longer. I cook it sunday night and it is still good the following saturday provided you refridgerate it and store it in closed containers. Most of the time I eat all the food by friday though
dropshot001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
v1hyp

if there's any felt, it should last till fri/sat and still be okay to eat.

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
2002 NPC Western Carolina:
2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..
v1hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
kokonutz

6 when bulking
kokonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
Petros
TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer

I don't think the OP is asking to rely on shakes but due to his schedule he may have to. My brother is going to contemplate doing this because he is stuck working with no break, so a shake will most likely be his only way to go. He doesn't want to rely on it, but at the end of the day not sure theres much you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawadol View Post
I think you shouldn't rely only shakes.. Atleast take 3 meal in single day and 2 3 shakes are pretty okay in a day
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
FRANK_KOVACIC
Middleweight Member

This thread is 2 years old. I think the OP has long since made a decision.
FRANK_KOVACIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
Sammich
Moderator/Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 275lb Raw Club Total 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
This thread is 2 years old. I think the OP has long since made a decision.
That's because the thread got bumped by a spammer/trojan account from Pakistan.