Sabotage - does the body strive to restore homeostasis by any means necessary?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the db
    • Jan 2012

Sabotage - does the body strive to restore homeostasis by any means necessary?

Question is as per the title. Looking for some views/opinions - not sure if there is any factual scientific evidence to answer from but if anybody has any would be interested for it to be shared?

A bit of background info (bare with me).

On Saturday night I found myself so obsessed (like an all consuming desire for carbs that I could not control or make go away). Eventually after fighting with myself for about an hour I found myself sitting down and eating 2 large bowls of branflakes (probably about 150g cereal per bowl) with as much milk in as the bowl could handle before I even really knew what was happening. I slammed them down so quick I twice gagged because I was shovelling the next mouthful in before I had managed to propperly swallow the last. (FYI I put 12.5lb on from the load the day before (5lb more than norm for me), and still dropped 5lb that night).

I need to point out that I can control my diet really well - I rarely have cravings, let alone give in to cravings. My will power when it comes to diet is really good, beyond reasonable at times according to my wife and friends!

Oddly this little blow out came 24 hours after a skipload, so its not like later in the week where you get so depleted all you can do is daydream about what you are going to eat on your load and how good pancakes and syrup are etc....

As somebody that sits happily at 15-16% BF most of the year round eating 3500-4000kcals a day - I assume this is my bodies natural homeostasis point I am wondering if my body is now fighting back to try and reach a bodyfat level that it feels is optimal for homeostasis? Last time I dieted 18 months ago to 12% bodyfat something similar happened but I lost complete control and had a 5 day skipload. Needless to say that was the end of that cut and I quickly found myself back at 16% bodyfat!

Just wondered if others have experienced anything like this or had any views etc?
Working...